BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why no front parking sensors?

02-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i S-Drive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
For US spec, anyone know if 5AS has all features, or is that limited too? Is there "parking assist"?
Haven't seen parking assist mentioned anywhere; it's probably due to the lack of these front sensors!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #24
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Jason View Post
Haven't seen parking assist mentioned anywhere; it's probably due to the lack of these front sensors!
Ok, that makes sense. So there is the front KAFAS camera for lane departure and 8TH, the backup camera, the radar for blind spot, and the radar for backup, correct? And there is front collision radar as part of 5AS? There are no top or side view cameras?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. So there is the front KAFAS camera for lane departure and 8TH, the backup camera, the radar for blind spot, and the radar for backup, correct? And there is front collision radar as part of 5AS? There are no top or side view cameras?
Woah ok.. Haha

This is the U.K. Spec but all this will apply to you maybe just different package names as the factory is putting the same bits on the car, I'm aware you can't get sunroof / manual seats

There is an option for the rear view camera.

There is an option for Driver assist which includes both lane departure warning and city collision mitigation via the camera in the windscreen which is why it only works in daylight (for pedestrians and cyclists anti crash). It will both warn you and stop you at certain speeds. It may also make use of a radar as their is active cruise control as standard too.

The rear parking sensors (radar) are standard.

There is obviously no front sensors. No top / side view. No blind spot detection.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #26
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Jason View Post
Woah ok.. Haha

This is the U.K. Spec but all this will apply to you maybe just different package names as the factory is putting the same bits on the car, I'm aware you can't get sunroof / manual seats

There is an option for the rear view camera.

There is an option for Driver assist which includes both lane departure warning and city collision mitigation via the camera in the windscreen which is why it only works in daylight (for pedestrians and cyclists anti crash). It will both warn you and stop you at certain speeds. It may also make use of a radar as their is active cruise control as standard too.

The rear parking sensors (radar) are standard.

There is obviously no front sensors. No top / side view. No blind spot detection.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. So the steering wheel does not vibrate if you indicate lane change while car is coming up from behind in adjacent lane? Weird how BMW gets rid of certain features.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #27
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

What did people do before the invention of parking sensors and how many front end collisions did that cause in parking lots? That's what I say.

I know, people love tech. It helps their lives. But if you don't know how much space you have between the front of your car and an object, I question you having a driver's license.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #28
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR View Post
What did people do before the invention of parking sensors and how many front end collisions did that cause in parking lots? That's what I say.

I know, people love tech. It helps their lives. But if you don't know how much space you have between the front of your car and an object, I question you having a driver's license.
i have no actual need for parking sensors.

but when i bought my 328i the car on the lot had exactly what i was going to order except it had the parking sensors as well. so i took it (and they discounted it since they wanted to get rid of it).

they are useful, i can park fine without them, but its kind of nice peace of mind. when i order my M2 i don't think i'll be ordering executive honestly as $1200 is a bit much for some parking sensors especially given how small a car it is it should be very easy to park. but if they were standard well they are useful
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #29
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:

This 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #30
///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. So the steering wheel does not vibrate if you indicate lane change while car is coming up from behind in adjacent lane? Weird how BMW gets rid of certain features.
I don't believe so..

It's all marketing, keep some features for the more expensive / upmarket models. Creates differentiation - also why the 2 probably has no HUD. Different price point, different toys.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #31
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Clearly it's a cost cutting measure
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #32
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What's the thought on why the M2 has no front bumper parking sensors? ...
BMW wants us to back into parking spaces like all the cool kids do.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #33
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
... if you don't know how much space you have between the front of your car and an object, I question you having a driver's license.
Exactly. There's plenty of room for error.
The M2 is relatively short, so leaving 1 or 2 feet in front of the bumper is OK.
Rear bumper won't be sticking out into traffic.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #34
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I think it's pretty obvious we can all drive without the sensors. I do find them handy when I'm pulling in/out of a tight parallel parking spot or into a carport. They were definitely handy for ED when snaking through medieval towns with small roads.
      02-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #35
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeeeaaaahh, that's why the M2 has a backup camera.

Back up camera for idiots who don't bother to look behind. That I understand. Front sensors??? If you need them you shouldn't be driving or walking for that matter.
Try backing-in to a spot in a dark parking garage hotshot. Cannot see everything. Mirrors are only so accurate.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #36
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Back up camera for idiots who don't bother to look behind. That I understand. Front sensors??? If you need them you shouldn't be driving or walking for that matter.
How is this attitude tolerable in a serious forum? Are you 12 years old? The car is not made of transparent glass mate, there's nothing wrong with using extra help to make sure you're not hitting a hidden post that your mirrors cant catch, especially in the dark. I swear I see more childish comments in here than in video game forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #37
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #38
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
How is this attitude tolerable in a serious forum? Are you 12 years old? The car is not made of transparent glass mate, there's nothining wrong with using extra help to make sure you're not hitting a hidden post that your mirrors cant catch, especially in the dark. I swear I see more childish comments in here than in video game forums.
Serious forum? We have a bunch of kids crying about no M mirrors, lack of sunroof options in some areas and now this no front sensor nonsense. Yup, real serious issues. How on earth were we able to live without sensors back in the days? People bitch about BMW putting too much tech in their cars ruining the driving experience. Now that they come out with something that goes back to their roots, all of a sudden no front sensors are a let down for some...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #39
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think people loose sight of the fact that the M2 is designed to appeal to a broad audience. The track people don't want frills, the daily driver and small family people may want more safety features and comfort amenities, posers want flashy M labels and fancy accessories that do nothing but look good. Most people are a combination of these consumer types. Why not let people have what they want? If this car didn't appeal to a large demographic they would not be able to make it or it would cost a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #40
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think people loose sight of the fact that the M2 is designed to productionto a broad audience. The track people don't want frills, the daily driver and small family people may want more safety features and comfort amenities, posers want flashy M labels and fancy accessories that do nothing but look good. Most people are a combination of these consumer types. Why not let people have what they want? If this car didn't appeal to a large demographic they would not be able to make it or it would cost a fortune.
Quite the opposite actually. This is more of a niche car which is why BMW is limiting it's production. It will not appeal to most people because while the price seems attractive for a true M car, to the general public it's still no small change. The same price will get you into a decently equipped A/3/C series with much bigger space. Therefore I think some people here are losing sight of what the M2 truly is and expect everything and the kitchen sink to be included while having a pure driving involvement and a msrp price of $51k. Ain'tgoing to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #41
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm more concerned with overall weight, and weight distribution factors. If the M2 could offer more options that don't adversely affect these then that's a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #42
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
Quote:
Serious forum? We have a bunch of kids crying about no M mirrors, lack of sunroof options in some areas and now this no front sensor nonsense. Yup, real serious issues. How on earth were we able to live without sensors back in the days? People bitch about BMW putting too much tech in their cars ruining the driving experience. Now that they come out with something that goes back to their roots, all of a sudden no front sensors are a let down for some...
Hey, I'm paying 65,000 for a damn car I have the damn right to express my opinion about things that bother me, no matter how minor. Also great job ignoring everything I said about sensors being useful. I'm pretty sure you call people pussies for looking at their mirrors also. If you're a man you should always be aware of your surroundings, mirrors are for bitches. Give me a fucking break,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #43
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
Quite the opposite actually. This is more of a niche car which is why BMW is limiting it's production. It will not appeal to most people because while the price seems attractive for a true M car, to the general public it's still no small change. The same price will get you into a decently equipped A/3/C series with much bigger space. Therefore I think some people here are losing sight of what the M2 truly is and expect everything and the kitchen sink to be included while having a pure driving involvement and a msrp price of $51k. Ain'tgoing to happen.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
Hey, I'm paying 65,000 for a damn car I have the damn right to express my opinion about things that bother me, no matter how minor. Also great job ignoring everything I said about sensors being useful. I'm pretty sure you call people pussies for looking at their mirrors also. If you're a man you should always be aware of your surroundings, mirrors are for bitches. Give me a fucking break,

Man I missed my forum days! Good to be back. I love this bickering.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #44
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
People aren't asking for options for free, just the ability to check the box and pay for it. In the case of the moonroof it is available in Europe so it is clearly a marketing reason to omit it in the US. It has nothing to do with the purity of the M2 track machine. There are plenty of people who will buy an M2 just because they like the way it looks. If they were to rip out all of the luxury stuff in the car, just watch the sales numbers go down, people will just buy something else. I don't think production will be as limited as the gossip. They will be making it for 4 years.
Appreciate 0