BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Thoughts on Manual -> DCT

01-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #45
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

My wife can't drive manual. I tried teaching her years ago, and it was quite stressful. I suppose I could try again, but ...

The dual-clutch in my GTI is a great transmission. In fact, even though my 2er is a quicker car with the ZF 8AT, I still get a lot of satisfaction out of driving the GTI because of its better transmission.

At bottom, I don't think you can go wrong with either MT or DCT. However, the DCT is faster, has LC, and it will give you a great feeling firing off shifts under full load. Since this is going to be your DD, one practical advantage of the DCT is the ability to very quickly downshift, which comes in useful when you're fighting traffic. I don't know about everyone else, but I will gladly admit that I'm not some boy-racer in rush-hour traffic with millisecond quick clutch in-shift-clutch out action/responses. Being able to pull a paddle and quickly maneuver as appropriate is great.
      01-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #46
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkF1 View Post
That is my bad, didn't realize they don't include that "feature" on the modern M-cars. I guess the E46 M3 was the last one in recent memory. I will edit my previous post.
Pretty sure the 1M had a CDV.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #47
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
That is my bad, didn't realize they don't include that "feature" on the modern M-cars. I guess the E46 M3 was the last one in recent memory. I will edit my previous post.
Good, you scared me for a second
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72
Quote:
Pretty sure the 1M had a CDV.
It does.

I am a pre-CDV owner as I came from E30.
Haven't felt a need to remove mine in the 1M but it seems most people hate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
My wife can't drive manual. I tried teaching her years ago, and it was quite stressful. I suppose I could try again, but ...
Mine can't either, but she offered to try and learn on the M2. She might have been offended when I said it wasn't a car to learn on and suggested we buy a 90s Miata to practice on for a few months. That entire car would cost less than a new clutch, so it seemed logical to me.

Then I recalled the time she pulled into Chitpotle at 30 and I heard metal hitting concrete on her new car and really started leaning toward the 6mt and no lessons.

She's a totally awesome woman and very good driver for the most part. I just don't think 19s and an 6mt are a good fit for her. It's the car, not her!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Mine can't either, but she offered to try and learn on the M2. She might have been offended when I said it wasn't a car to learn on and suggested we buy a 90s Miata to practice on for a few months. That entire car would cost less than a new clutch, so it seemed logical to me.

Then I recalled the time she pulled into Chitpotle at 30 and I heard metal hitting concrete on her new car and really started leaning toward the 6mt and no lessons.

She's a totally awesome woman and very good driver for the most part. I just don't think 19s and an 6mt are a good fit for her. It's the car, not her!
Whatever makes it easier for your to sleep at night, but since I don't sleep in your bed, I don't have to mince words, it's her, not the car.

If she got offended about the second car then fine. It was absolutely good advice.

Let's be MEN! If you are married to a woman that can't drive a car with a clutch, or that simply treats cars like they are an APPLIANCE, then BE A MAN and tell her you are buying a car that she can't ( or isn't qualified to ) drive.

That's what she has her own damn car for right ?

Any of you guys mulling over DCT/vs manual for a girlfriend should just simply be shot, Or forced to order an M3/M4.

Conversely, the same pep talk applies to any CAR GALS here as well. Any CAR GAL that wants a manual should order a 6 speed, and not worry about their BF or SO or hubby that's " shiftless"

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-21-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 4
      01-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #51
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
You should be done shifting before you're into the corner.
I think your assuming you can see or have previously driven the corner and, therefore, can judge the curvature your faced with. I'm not making those assumptions.
If you are not familiar with the corner and cannot judge the curvature of the corner then my sense tells me to be ready to shift my manual transmission. Not the case with a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #52
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've always found it remarkable that one could get a driver's license in the US while only having driven a car with an automatic transmission.

If you want to get your driver's license over here, you'll be learning the ropes in a car with a manual transmission. We do have the option for an auto-only exam, but literally noone chooses that option unless they are physically incapable of operating a manual transmission. The general idea here is that if you can't drive a car with a manual transmission, you shouldn't be on the road

Furthermore, it would be illegal to drive a car with a manual transmission if you only did the auto tranny exam.

MT is the norm here, so even most women are perfectly capable of driving a car with a MT.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #53
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
I've always found it remarkable that one could get a driver's license in the US while only having driven a car with an automatic transmission.

If you want to get your driver's license over here, you'll be learning the ropes in a car with a manual transmission. We do have the option for an auto-only exam, but literally noone chooses that option unless they are physically incapable of operating a manual transmission. The general idea here is that if you can't drive a car with a manual transmission, you shouldn't be on the road

Furthermore, it would be illegal to drive a car with a manual transmission if you only did the auto tranny exam.

MT is the norm here, so even most women are perfectly capable of driving a car with a MT.
It might be in your opinion, but I assure you, about 95% of the Dutch can't drive a car, and about 98% of the world population(men/women): The car is driving them, they're passengers with a steering wheel to hold on to. Reality bites

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #54
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post

This is how it's supposed to be. Driver licenses come way too easy in the US

And everyone don't seem to understand that driving is a privilege not a right... SMH

Instead of trying to save auto casualties by upping fines and lowering speed limits, none of the politicians have the brains to increase the difficultly of driving tests.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #55
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
It might be in your opinion, but I assure you, about 95% of the Dutch can't drive a car, and about 98% of the world population(men/women): The car is driving them, they're passengers with a steering wheel to hold on to. Reality bites

Cheers
Robin
Well, at least they, in general at least, understand how to operate a manual transmission. Unlike in the US where there are actually people out there who can't even operate a manual transmission, but do have a driver's license and are apparently even allowed to drive a car with a manual transmission.

There are a lot of idiots on the road, yes. But I also know good decent drivers, some of whom are women, that know how to drive a manual and don't hit the brakes whenever one drop of rain falls from the sky.

I guess I'm lucky that within my little social circle, most people are at least OK drivers, apart from a few who should have their license taken away :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Instead of trying to save auto casualties by upping fines and lowering speed limits, none of the politicians have the brains to increase the difficultly of driving tests.
They should do a case study of the Dutch situation then :P Fines have been going up considerably, but it hasn't been about safety for a very long time. It's all about the money...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for your replies. You guys are awesome. So happy to be part of the community.

As some have said, yes, it will be my ONLY car and thus my daily driver. I have driven manual, but I have never owned a manual car. I've only owned auto cars. So although I know how to drive manual, I've never gone through the experience of owning one. I am in my early 20's, so I don't have a huge history of past cars besides a handed down e60. I landed a great aerospace job out in Denver (yes, snow tires will be ordered) so this is celebratory and my first M car.

I am just so confused as what to get. I was honestly on the fence between DCT and manual, so it wouldn't be as if either way will be going against my "hearts desire".

The reason it won't matter too much is unfortunately because I don't have much experience with either. That's why I'm trying to get opinions from you guys.

It seems like dealers have been able to spec the launch cars the way they want to. So now I'm just utterly confused as to what I want. I really don't know. I'll have this car for many years, so it's a really big decision.

Also, if anyone's in the Denver area, I'd love to meet up. I'm brand new to the area. I've been an East Coast kid all my life. Cheers!

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #57
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I think your assuming you can see or have previously driven the corner and, therefore, can judge the curvature your faced with. I'm not making those assumptions.
If you are not familiar with the corner and cannot judge the curvature of the corner then my sense tells me to be ready to shift my manual transmission. Not the case with a DCT.
I'm just saying that if you're pushing the car at all in a corner you shouldn't shift either a DCT or 6MT. It's just learning best practices like keeping both hands on the steering wheel, looking through the corner, and so on. Changing gears mid corner is just asking for trouble.

It's all explained in great delay in this book and other sources.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-High-P.../dp/0760327548
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #58
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
I'm just saying that if you're pushing the car at all in a corner you shouldn't shift either a DCT or 6MT. It's just learning best practices like keeping both hands on the steering wheel, looking through the corner, and so on. Changing gears mid corner is just asking for trouble.

It's all explained in great delay in this book and other sources.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-High-P.../dp/0760327548
This is 100% correct.

Also, if you're going full blast into a corner without knowing the line you probably shouldn't be driving on that track. ALWAYS take a few warm up laps to get familiar with the layout.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #59
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Thank you everyone SO MUCH for your replies. You guys are awesome. So happy to be part of the community.

As some have said, yes, it will be my ONLY car and thus my daily driver. I have driven manual, but I have never owned a manual car. I've only owned auto cars. So although I know how to drive manual, I've never gone through the experience of owning one. I am in my early 20's, so I don't have a huge history of past cars besides a handed down e60. I landed a great aerospace job out in Denver (yes, snow tires will be ordered) so this is celebratory and my first M car.

I am just so confused as what to get. I was honestly on the fence between DCT and manual, so it wouldn't be as if either way will be going against my "hearts desire".

The reason it won't matter too much is unfortunately because I don't have much experience with either. That's why I'm trying to get opinions from you guys.

It seems like dealers have been able to spec the launch cars the way they want to. So now I'm just utterly confused as to what I want. I really don't know. I'll have this car for many years, so it's a really big decision.

Also, if anyone's in the Denver area, I'd love to meet up. I'm brand new to the area. I've been an East Coast kid all my life. Cheers!
Let me ask you this. When else are you going to own a 6MT? We all had to start somewhere

Like someone else said, go find a M3/4 to try out. Hell, these cars auto rev match for you and have hill assist. That's borderline cheating right there. I didn't have that crap when I was learning.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #60
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

OP - you will be fine with a manual. As a younger person - don't overlook the $3k in savings. The new manuals and better in every way. I bought my first manual not know how to drive it - figured it out in the way home.
I am NOT the Manual or bust type of M owner (my E90 is DCT) and with the high revving S65 it is glorious. In the M2 I might do a manual ( have some time to decide).
A high torque Rear wheel drive car in Denver - that would be more concerning. Even with Winters fitted - the tires will be wide and you might have a bit of a handful.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #61
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

You'll have plenty of time to drive slushboxes in the future if you are in your 20's, man.

I have been driving 6MT BMW's since I got my license not too long ago and they are totally fine in daily traffic AND fun on the country roads. I don't have automatic rev-matching, I have to do it on my own, which for me is a big part of the overall driving experience. The satisfaction when you nail the downshift...

Test drive a 6MT M3 and see for yourself. I think you will like it.
      01-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #62
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but why don't you go test drive an M3/4 with manual and DCT? It's basically the same thing but with more power and a bigger body. Your dealership should allow that if you're buying an M2 from them. You really have to try both and then consider your experience with your driving location.

Personally, I prefer DCT due to my very urban and very hilly environment but I do not appreciate the price premium. DCT is fantastic and has it's place and if it were no charge it would be a no brainer to me. If I were living in flatsville, didn't have twice daily bumper to bumper commute then manual vs $2900 DCT is also a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #63
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

I grew up driving MT from the days of the 2002 and long mastered heel&toe, double clutch on the street and track. I've had the opportunity of driving both variances of M3/M4's on street and track. So it was a tough decision for me when it came time to decide on DCT or 6MT for my M2. At the end I settled for DCT. Fortunately, my 24 yr old son's picking up his M228i 6MT in a few days so we'll at least have the two to play with.

Call me old but as much as I love MT, the DCT impresses me so much in how quick and precise it works. Perhaps overkill in the city, but it can't be beat on the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #64
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Let me ask you this. When else are you going to own a 6MT? We all had to start somewhere

Like someone else said, go find a M3/4 to try out. Hell, these cars auto rev match for you and have hill assist. That's borderline cheating right there. I didn't have that crap when I was learning.
Hill assist is so aggravating. If you've never had to use the e-brake and slowly release as you let the clutch up, you haven't driven stick
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #65
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Hill assist is so aggravating. If you've never had to use the e-brake and slowly release as you let the clutch up, you haven't driven stick
If you've never had to use the e-brake and slowly release as you let the clutch up, only to have the engine quit on a hill like the one pictured below and with 5 cars behind you, then you've missed out on a lot of excitement.
Thank heaven for Hill Assist!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #66
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
If you've never had to use the e-brake and slowly release as you let the clutch up, only to have the engine quit on a hill like the one pictured below and with 5 cars behind you, then you've missed out on a lot of excitement.
Thank heaven for Hill Assist!
You forgot the part where you take off redlining the car but only doing 10 mph after you've stalled, because there was no way you were going to stall again hahaha
Appreciate 1