BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Its built

02-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
There was someone who knee a test driver, and said that the driver said he wouldn't get the M2 because it "drives far too aggressive" for his taste. So yeah. Replace it yolo.
He's referring to this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prodigy View Post
As I grew up in Bavaria and almost spend my whole life here I have a bunch of friends who work for BMW or a bunch of friends who have a bunch of friends who work for BMW.
Yesterday a friend of mine posted a picture on FB with a M2.
I texted him and he told me that he and his friend (works for BMW) have a M2 (Werkstestwagen) for a few days. It is one of those (mineral grey) who was posted here before (according to the number plate). He sent me a bunch of pics, but I cannot share them, sorry guys.
What I want to share with you is their experience on the autobahn. (He owns a 997 Carrera).
It's way more aggressive than his Porsche with lots of power. He said "it drives like a mean cannonball". He finds it too aggressive for his taste which is a good thing for me. The sound was awesome and the rev matching pretty nice (they had the manual). It still pullls very strong while accelerating from 210km/h to 250km/h (around 130mph - 160mph)
And now the worst thing:
They wanted to pick me up for a ride today but I'm in Düsseldorf for a week.
      02-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #24
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

There are going to be a lot of M2s stacking up at dealers and when April 16 hits they will be exploding onto the scene. This forum will go nuts with first impressions. BMW has done a great job of building up the excitement factor.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Mines finished as well. Any other information regarding tracking is being withheld from me.
With your VIN, you can download 'your' M2 manual: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...26&postcount=1
      02-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #26
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
No offense taken my man. I would like to know why you think this though ? Do you think the driving dynamics will be worse? I know future value/resale will be better for the 1M but I'm not worried about that. I just hope this car will be as fun as the 1M and I guess the added creature comforts will be nice for a change. The M2 suspension should be miles better than the 1M, it will be faster...I just hope they didn't soften the car for the masses...
I agree I would over leverage myself to have both. The 1m will be worth a shit ton one day.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #27
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I agree I would over leverage myself to have both. The 1m will be worth a shit ton one day.
I would love to but we will be using that money for other fun toys this summer! We bought the lake lot behind us last year and need to get a boat/pontoon and everything that comes with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
No offense, but this sounds like a mistake.

I wouldn't get rid of a 1M to get a M2. I would get a M2 in addition to a 1M, but not as a replacement.
No offense taken my man. I would like to know why you think this though ? Do you think the driving dynamics will be worse? I know future value/resale will be better for the 1M but I'm not worried about that. I just hope this car will be as fun as the 1M and I guess the added creature comforts will be nice for a change. The M2 suspension should be miles better than the 1M, it will be faster...I just hope they didn't soften the car for the masses...

I'll be awaiting your review....

I agree with @Reid. However not everyone can afford to buy a 50k car and then buy a second five years later..

Personally , I'm expecting the M2 to be very E36 like as compared to the E30. I expect the suspension to be *vastly* improved ( as it usually is from one generation to another) and if course there are more creature comforts ( look Ma- an automatic! ) and an easier car to drive fast. I anticipate it will not be quite as much fun or rewarding to drive , due to electric steering and such " updates " but overall it will be much more practical and daily drivable car for most people.

I TOTALLY understand and don't blame any 1M owner on cashing out on the 25-45k of equity they have available right now. Personally I'm hoping for something seriously special (m2 CSL ) that will make me jump at giving up my 1M.

Hey BMW AG, I would rather buy an M2 CSL than a Cayman Gt4 or a Mustang GT 350
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #29
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
There are going to be a lot of M2s stacking up at dealers and when April 16 hits they will be exploding onto the scene. This forum will go nuts with first impressions. BMW has done a great job of building up the excitement factor.
If BMW makes me wait until April 16th I'm going to loose my 💩. Seriously, knowing my car is being held for some BS abaritary date is going to make me more irritable than usual.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #30
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
If BMW makes me wait until April 16th I'm going to loose my 💩. Seriously, knowing my car is being held for some BS abaritary date is going to make me more irritable than usual.
BMW is doing exactly what Apple and any other large company does with exciting new products. The chance of getting your car before April 16th is going to be incredibly slim.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #31
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

An official "on sale" date applies to EVERY BMW launch. It's not just BMW hyping up the M2.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #32
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Most of the people that are "angry" that "their" car will not be released are angry about cars that are not even customer cars...
HEA cars are meant to be used for the official introduction, deal with it!

With a bit of luck they will release them before April 16.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #33
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
An official "on sale" date applies to EVERY BMW launch. It's not just BMW hyping up the M2.
A good bit of the hype is originating from awful journalism, rather than BMW. Fan-boy blogs and such which somehow obtain high ranking on Google searches.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #34
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
... The M2 suspension should be miles better than the 1M, it will be faster...I just hope they didn't soften the car for the masses...
If it's too soft, you could always opt for the M Performance setup.
And there will probably be many 3rd party bolt-on suspension parts.

Just remember that NVH has been vastly reduced in modern cars.
And lower + stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better handling and/or faster laps.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #35
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
A good bit of the hype is originating from awful journalism, rather than BMW. Fan-boy blogs and such which somehow obtain high ranking on Google searches.
The line between online "marketing" and online "journalism" was erased about 10 years ago.
It's all about web traffic now.
(Which is a nice way of saying "click bait.")
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #36
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
If BMW makes me wait until April 16th I'm going to loose my ��. Seriously, knowing my car is being held for some BS abaritary date is going to make me more irritable than usual.
To me, the anxious anticipation is part of the fun. I know I don't get to do this very often, so I'm soaking it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Most of the people that are "angry" that "their" car will not be released are angry about cars that are not even customer cars...
HEA cars are meant to be used for the official introduction, deal with it!
With a bit of luck they will release them before April 16.
Wouldn't be a smart idea for a BMW dealer to rain on BMW's parade with an early release.

If BMW sets April 16, 2016 as M2 launch date (first day after the Winter season in several countries), then dealers gotta stick to that.

Take it the BMW way, or take the highway. Ze rulez are ze rulez.
      02-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #38
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
If it's too soft, you could always opt for the M Performance setup.
And there will probably be many 3rd party bolt-on suspension parts.

Just remember that NVH has been vastly reduced in modern cars.
And lower + stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better handling and/or faster laps.

Agreed.

When I say "soften" I am also icluding things like exhaust, and other sounds that were included in the 1M.

For example, the 1M had exhaust drone that some complained about but I absolutely loved it. They also removed insulation to save weight at the expense of having a lot of road and suspension noise. I hope they some how keep some of these quirks that made the 1M special. The wheel base is a little longer so the M2 probably won't be as playful as the 1M but then again, the M2 will have a lot more power and its not exactly a boat. Still a small car.

I hope I didn't make the wrong decision the the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #39
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Wouldn't be a smart idea for a BMW dealer to rain on BMW's parade with an early release.

If BMW sets April 16, 2016 as M2 launch date (first day after the Winter season in several countries), then dealers gotta stick to that.

Take it the BMW way, or take the highway. Ze rulez are ze rulez.
What about you Artemis? Do you forsee any regrets over switching the 1M for the M2?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post

Sheesh! Right back at ya !!

Go ahead and just give up your allocation if you can't handle it....

And it's not a BS arbitrary date it's a LAUNCH DATE! As in ...... that's the first day *anyone * gets one and that includes you !

Seriously.. Quit yer bitching about *waiting* for your M2 and have some respect for those that are in line with no allocation or NO anticipated date.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #41
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
What about you Artemis? Do you forsee any regrets over switching the 1M for the M2?
Thankful for the past. Cherishing it. Time to move on.

02-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #42
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I found this to be rather interesting - i don't know if its true but check this out from Bimmerfest message boards.

Elmhurst BMW is stating that they will get their HEA Vehicle on March 1st.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=892465

...I should maybe call them to see if this is true.

Update: it says "some time after/around march 1st". which basically can still mean april 16th...meh
Appreciate 0