BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Start/Stop function.

02-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Start/Stop function.

Normally the automatique start/stop system is reactivated each time the engine is started. I hate that system as we also have it on our Audi S5.
Is it possible to deactivate this function definitive on the M2?
I thought new ///M models have something like "the last user mode". Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Normally the automatique start/stop system is reactivated each time the engine is started. I hate that system as we also have it on our Audi S5.
Is it possible to deactivate this function definitive on the M2?
I thought new ///M models have something like "the last user mode". Is that true?
The start/stop function no longer activates automatically on any new non-hybrid BMW (and hasn't for a few years now). All models now enjoy the "last user mode" you mentioned.

No need for concern
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
The start/stop function no longer activates automatically on any new non-hybrid BMW (and hasn't for a few years now). All models now enjoy the "last user mode" you mentioned.

No need for concern
Are you sure that applies to all regions?
As far as I know we still have the old setup in our market.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:

No need for concern
In the manual there is something like :"to manually deactivate/activate the system", but no mentioning of a "last user mode". And as metrickid says, perhaps there may be a difference between European and US models on that issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I've never experienced this on a MT. On an AT, it's mildly irritating, but these have not been my cars, so no big deal. But it would seem that it would be even stranger on a MT. Do you still get that hesitation and stumble when you feed throttle and lift the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Are you sure that applies to all regions?
As far as I know we still have the old setup in our market.
No, I'm actually not sure that it applies to all regions but I am sure that if it doesn't you can still code it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #7
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I don't know any for certain about last user mode but it should be very easy to disable auto stop/start as there's a dedicated button right above the ignition button as shown in this official photo.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
I don't know any for certain about last user mode but it should be very easy to disable auto stop/start as there's a dedicated button right above the ignition button as shown in this official photo.
Yes,once you hit the button to shut off the auto stop start function,it will stay that way,unless you turn it on again by hitting that button.It will not default back to the auto start stop when you get back in the car.This is the way it worked in the M3 that I took for test drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm actually not sure that it applies to all regions but I am sure that if it doesn't you can still code it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Yes,once you hit the button to shut off the auto stop start function,it will stay that way,unless you turn it on again by hitting that button.It will not default back to the auto start stop when you get back in the car.This is the way it worked in the M3 that I took for test drive.
The 2014 cars I've tested (M3 too) here still defaults to auto start/stop each time you turn of the ignition. So unless they chanced this last year they only changed the default behavior in the US.

It is easy to code but you have to do it yourself as our dealers are very hesitant to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
The 2014 cars I've tested (M3 too) here still defaults to auto start/stop each time you turn of the ignition. So unless they chanced this last year they only changed the default behavior in the US.

It is easy to code but you have to do it yourself as our dealers are very hesitant to turn it off.
It has definitely been changed in the US and Canada.The M3 that I took for a test drive was a 2015 model.My dealer said they changed it because there were so many complaints about the feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
It has definitely been changed in the US and Canada.The M3 that I took for a test drive was a 2015 model.My dealer said they changed it because there were so many complaints about the feature.
Ah, didn't see you were in Canada at first. Hopefully they changed it worldwide then. But considering all the regulations with emissions etc I don't have high expectations.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #12
TurboKoo
Lurker from behind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster

I'm quite sure I saw it somewhere that it applies only to NA but this can be coded easily in to all cars
      02-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I've never experienced this on a MT. On an AT, it's mildly irritating, but these have not been my cars, so no big deal. But it would seem that it would be even stranger on a MT. Do you still get that hesitation and stumble when you feed throttle and lift the clutch?
The way the manual works is if you let out the clutch at a stop. Then when you clutch back in, the car starts.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Ah, didn't see you were in Canada at first. Hopefully they changed it worldwide then. But considering all the regulations with emissions etc I don't have high expectations.

As far as I was aware, the EU cycle figures are based on stop/start being activated by default after every start. If there was a way for the user to permanently deactivate stop/start it would make the EU figures invalid.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
As far as I was aware, the EU cycle figures are based on stop/start being activated by default after every start. If there was a way for the user to permanently deactivate stop/start it would make the EU figures invalid.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think so too. Not a huge issue for me though as I didn't have any problems with it on my F30.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
The way the manual works is if you let out the clutch at a stop. Then when you clutch back in, the car starts.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503

Interesting, thanks. It actually seems from the link's description that start-stop would be less irritating with a MT than with an AT. I have a friend with a 2015 X1, and the transition from stopping to starting with the function on is not super smooth....
Appreciate 0