BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Selling A Used Car Is FRUSTRATING

05-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Selling A Used Car Is FRUSTRATING

So I have been daily driving a 2020 VW GLI Autobahn (6spd ) for the past few months as a "tide me over" car until I get back into something really fun. So the new M2C is on it's way towards end of July, and I don't need the VW right now as we are still working from home.

Per a recent poster who shared their experiences, I have tried a few different avenues. Both Vroom and Carvana came back with appraisals within dollars of each other. The retail private party price is $28.5k, and the both came back with $26k. I thought that was interesting, but I also noticed that the value they are offering changes everyday, I guess based on their supply/demand algorithm.

The BMW dealership I am getting the M2C from is a full $3000 lower than the Vroom and Carvana offer. They offered $23k, and they know it is truly in "as new" condition. They weren't even willing to meet the existing offers, not even by a dollar. It would have been so much easier to sell it to them and get the tax credit, but I will now have to go a different route.

I might give cars and bids a whirl as well, as I still have some time.

But it is sooooo frustrating dealing with dealerships, the whole model sucks and needs a total rethink. Not to put myself on a pedestal, but I am a whale when it comes to dealerships...perfect credit, OCD about my cars, and I switch very often. So I would have thought they would have tried to work with me, especially since I agreed to pay MSRP for the new M2 (didn't even try and bargain).

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Dealers don't owe you anything, much like you don't owe them anything (well until you buy from them )

Sorry but hard to have any sympathy for (based on my reading of the OP) someone who buys a year old car to tide them over for a couple months, know they are going to have to then get rid of it.

Could have bought a shed or used as pay-as-you-go car share program or rent one for the weekends only if you're WFHing during the week.
Appreciate 3
      05-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Don't be lazy.

Go to Autotrader, research the for sale price for your car, years, conditions, miles, specs, etc. Price accordingly and sell yourself. In this environment, you'll move your car in less than a week and get top dollar.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
Don't be lazy.

Go to Autotrader, research the for sale price for your car, years, conditions, miles, specs, etc. Price accordingly and sell yourself. In this environment, you'll move your car in less than a week and get top dollar.
I’ll second Manny on this. I do it every time with Autotrader and Car Gurus. My cars are like what OP described, low miles, excellent condition with all dealer service records. I always ask top dollar and stick to it since I know they can’t find anything nicer. My biggest challenge has come down to color preferences of the purchasers...that’s it. Be prepared to deal with a lot of ghosting, scams, etc. in the end you will get top dollar...be patient!!

And remember the golden rule...always hold the title, keys and/or car until the money clears. I typically go to the buyers bank and watch the process of them getting the cashiers check or cash.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Do you have the car paid off? How much do you owe on it?
      05-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
So I have been daily driving a 2020 VW GLI Autobahn (6spd ) for the past few months as a "tide me over" car until I get back into something really fun. So the new M2C is on it's way towards end of July, and I don't need the VW right now as we are still working from home.

Per a recent poster who shared their experiences, I have tried a few different avenues. Both Vroom and Carvana came back with appraisals within dollars of each other. The retail private party price is $28.5k, and the both came back with $26k. I thought that was interesting, but I also noticed that the value they are offering changes everyday, I guess based on their supply/demand algorithm.

The BMW dealership I am getting the M2C from is a full $3000 lower than the Vroom and Carvana offer. They offered $23k, and they know it is truly in "as new" condition. They weren't even willing to meet the existing offers, not even by a dollar. It would have been so much easier to sell it to them and get the tax credit, but I will now have to go a different route.

I might give cars and bids a whirl as well, as I still have some time.

But it is sooooo frustrating dealing with dealerships, the whole model sucks and needs a total rethink. Not to put myself on a pedestal, but I am a whale when it comes to dealerships...perfect credit, OCD about my cars, and I switch very often. So I would have thought they would have tried to work with me, especially since I agreed to pay MSRP for the new M2 (didn't even try and bargain).

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.
Try selling to the public... then see how you feel..
Appreciate 4
      05-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
You may want to check the tax laws where you are going to register the car. In some states (like Washington State) you only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade-in and the new car sale price. In my case it is a 10.1% savings on the trade in value.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks for the messages, I just sold it back to the dealership I bought it from for a good price, about an hour ago. I was taking it in for service tomorrow and my salesperson and I worked up a quick deal. This way I get a solid deal, and save time as well.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      05-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I helped write the carvana algorithm, so I enjoyed reading OP good luck !
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
M2COMP497.50
      05-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I have sold a few cars on auto trader and car guru recently.

What my principle is to come to a term with a selling price after researching online. The price has to be reasonable ( between private party and trade in/-close to private party- off course not outrageous) which should be able to sell car and I'm at peace with it. Once I decide a price I barely negotiate and always find a buyer who is willing to pay.

I may not sell at the best price but I'm looking to get a reasonable amount.

You may have a very different approach. But that's my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #11
PCAHvet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Thanks for the messages, I just sold it back to the dealership I bought it from for a good price, about an hour ago. I was taking it in for service tomorrow and my salesperson and I worked up a quick deal. This way I get a solid deal, and save time as well.
After the fact now but some dealerships will perform courtesy 3rd party trades whereby you provide the buyer for your trade-in and get the tax benefits-they just act as intermediaries and do the paperwork.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCAHvet View Post
After the fact now but some dealerships will perform courtesy 3rd party trades whereby you provide the buyer for your trade-in and get the tax benefits-they just act as intermediaries and do the paperwork.
My friend owns a used car lot and he is doing this for me
      05-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
mrussell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C 6sp

In Missouri we get sales tax credit selling a used car private party. The sale can be either 6 months prior or after the purchase of a new car. So I always sell mine on my own. Same strategy as M2COMP. Price a little under private party price and hold tight.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      05-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Usually I frown upon selling a vehicle privately but at this point in time, it's certainly a seller's market, so I would of gone that route and more than likely turn over a decent profit.

Even the used regular 2 Series is flying off the shelf, so to speak. I assume that a fairly used M2/M2C nowadays would fetch you a lofty return on your money.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...ed-cars-april/
Appreciate 0