BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Pricing a car for sale with mods?

05-12-2021, 12:20 AM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Pricing a car for sale with mods?

I need some advice. I'm selling my 2018 M2 with tons of mods/upgrades. I know I should probably part out, but just don't have the time to pull them all off (FMIC, DP, charge pipe, KW HAS, Dinan exhaust, Dinan intake, spoilers, etc.). How do you all suggest pricing the car with the mods? I know some argue that they bring no additional value but feels like with thousands of dollars of mods, they should be worth something in the price?

Welcome your thoughts and thanks.

Last edited by ecitizen; 05-12-2021 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:08 AM   #2
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Return as much to stock as possible

And then bundle the parts you removed to a local forum member so you don't have to waste much of your time

Non modded cars are far more attractive to the average buyer
      05-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Return as much to stock as possible

And then bundle the parts you removed to a local forum member so you don't have to waste much of your time

Non modded cars are far more attractive to the average buyer
Agreed, I basically came in to post this.

I'll also add that modding a car is a very personal process. Each person that mods their car does it to their own tastes...to the point that no two modded cars are the same. And so I think it's often hard to find a buyer that wants your exact build...so they will end up spending money to mod an already modded car. Which is partly why I don't think you will recover much of what you spent unless you return to stock and part out.

Aside from that there is also the stigma that a modded car has been driven harder, additionally stressed, etc, making it a higher risk for higher maintenance costs than a stock car. Fair or not, I think the average buyer would shy away from such a car...but I'm one of those buyers so maybe I'm just projecting my thoughts on others.

In any event, good luck with sale!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Price the car average price, and add 50% of the retail to each mod that is in PERFECT condition. If there is any degrading of the part at all, you're looking at 25% return at best, and most probably 10%.

If you can show the buyer how you got to your figure, how popular your mods are, and their condition, you have a good chance at getting some money for the mods. But in general, it's just as the guys above have said; people want to do their own thing, start with a clean slate, so your mod money is all but wasted, which is why most guys (like myself) keep all of their OEM parts to be able to return the car to stock. Yes, it's a PITA to do so, but it ends up being a significant amount of money.
Appreciate 1
blkonblk195.00
      05-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Price the car average price, and add 50% of the retail to each mod that is in PERFECT condition. If there is any degrading of the part at all, you're looking at 25% return at best, and most probably 10%.

If you can show the buyer how you got to your figure, how popular your mods are, and their condition, you have a good chance at getting some money for the mods. But in general, it's just as the guys above have said; people want to do their own thing, start with a clean slate, so your mod money is all but wasted, which is why most guys (like myself) keep all of their OEM parts to be able to return the car to stock. Yes, it's a PITA to do so, but it ends up being a significant amount of money.
There are very few people that would pay anything for a mod on a used car. As other have stated unless you have M Performance upgrades mods reduce the average selling price.

Good luck with the sale.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
There are very few people that would pay anything for a mod on a used car. As other have stated unless you have M Performance upgrades mods reduce the average selling price.
Well I'm 50 and have had nothing but modified sports cars all my life and have always made money on my mods. I think it depends on the mods you choose, and the condition they're in. It's also presentation. A good way to do that sort of thing is to find an unmodified car to present along with your modified version to show the buyer the difference. Seems like a tall order, but it's relatively easy.

My M2 is what I call OEM+ at the moment (Fabspeed Sport Cat/M Performance suspension/Ferric 437's/OEM Carbon bits), and I can tell you for a fact that I'd get 50% return on all the mods if I sold the car with them.

Buy popular mods, keep your receipts, keep them in good condition, be reasonable about your return, and show the buyer with and without so they can see/hear/feel the difference.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MK7 GSW - E91 - 5th gen VFR

OEM+ seems to be the new trend. Subtle upgrades.

There is always the popular mods which may bring in some value.

The reality is that you are limiting your prospective buyers to the group that would want your specific modifications. Some people will consider it a deal if the work is already done. Think of specific upgrades to a house, not everyone wants a pool for example.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6636.50
      05-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djphonics View Post
OEM+ seems to be the new trend. Subtle upgrades.
I agree, but with BMW owners it has been that way for a while now. I remember when I worked for Honda 20+ years ago we had a Dinan M3 and it brought people from out of state. Mods were pretty simple, 4 or 5 quality parts that made all the difference.

My car looks damn near stock but to hear it and drive it, you know it's just better.
Appreciate 0