BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > (LCI) M2C yellow DRL modules from ebay?

05-30-2023, 05:11 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

(LCI) M2C yellow DRL modules from ebay?

I’ve been looking around for yellow drl modules for my m2c and I found 2 options from reputable vendors (IND and Bayoptiks) and 2 more on ebay. IND and Bayoptiks seem to be listing their yellow drl modules at around $300-350 while ebay ranges from $120 (from China) to $200.

Are these all the same thing? Anyone have any experience with the ebay ones?

Thanks

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:22 AM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I just ordered mine from aliexpress... as well as the heatsink housing covers so I could just modify those without touching the OEM ones. Its about $215 all in. Even came with thermal glue.

Appreciate 1
Stylin.M2270.00
      05-31-2023, 02:37 AM   #3
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
+1 I also got mine from Aliexpress - they're all the same Chinese stuff. Some vendors are literally just doubling the price and reselling lol

Just get the IceDriver from Ali
      05-31-2023, 06:16 AM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think it all used to be ice driverz, the ones from ali express and then all the ones sold in US online shops. Ice Driverz are great, I got them from ali express and also got the modules like Wah, I think all in was $160 and have been good and can always go back to OEM if I get tired of them. Also Ice driverz is a great shop, I ordered the wrong ones (got OG ones) and they took care of me which I really appreciate.

However... now there are a bunch of others, can't comment on quality there. These have black boards from what I can see and now they are all over google groups (using other peoples pictures to sell their stuff) and on ali express.

Personally I would buy the ice driverz from ali express because they are tried and true.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
riko///m2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3, AW F87 M2, Model 3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [9.90]
2017 BMW m2   [9.75]
Although mine is not LCI. I bought my drl in the US for $250. It took 4 days to arrive. Pm me if you would like to know the vendor name.
Attached Images

05-31-2023, 10:27 PM   #6
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I'll throw in my hat and vouche for the IceDriver from AliExpress also. They have it for both LCI and pre LCI versions.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      06-04-2023, 08:21 AM   #7
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Any issues with the DRL modules overheating? I’m assuming installing these is like installing any component in a computer that has a cooling system (aka it needs thermal paste). Do the boards come with thermal paste or is any computer thermal paste good enough? (Arctic MX-5)

I watched a video of some guy who had the RGB drl modules from IceDriver on his OG M2 LCI and he said in the comments that you should disable the daytime running lamps function in iDrive. But wouldn’t that defeat the point of getting this mod in the first place?

Any input is appreciated, thanks

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 11:58 AM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

It's always a roll of the dice going direct to AliExpress. They may all come from the same factory, but with difference quality requirements and components. China can make anything in the world, from the lowest quality possible to the highest level of components. If you have an issue, a reputable vendor will offer warranty support.

That's going to have a different value depending on the person. For me, I know I'm not getting junk if I order from IND, and that has value.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 02:09 PM   #9
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Any issues with the DRL modules overheating? I’m assuming installing these is like installing any component in a computer that has a cooling system (aka it needs thermal paste). Do the boards come with thermal paste or is any computer thermal paste good enough? (Arctic MX-5)

I watched a video of some guy who had the RGB drl modules from IceDriver on his OG M2 LCI and he said in the comments that you should disable the daytime running lamps function in iDrive. But wouldn’t that defeat the point of getting this mod in the first place?

Any input is appreciated, thanks
I've had the RGB ones in for the better part of a year and no issues yet. I said to disable the DRL function in iDrive ONLY if you get the RGB version. This is because the RGB system can't run off of the OEM wiring for the white DRL chips. So if you order the RGB chips, you will have to run 12v power from somewhere else; the new boards will also come with some really dim amber leds on them - you leave your OEM wiring plugged into the new boards to prevent errors but you keep them powered off to prevent overheating and because they're not necessary.

If you get a single colored aftermarket chip (e.g. CSL yellow), then you simply replace the OEM chip and use OEM wiring. Simple plugnplay with zero issues and you DON'T disable the DRL in iDrive.

Also, don't use thermal paste. You need to use thermal adhesive. Thermal paste won't secure the boards tight enough to the heatsinks to prevent them from moving. Any thermal adhesive should work - just make sure you use a similar amount to OEM and give it 24 hours to cure properly before installing the heatsinks back into the car.

Good luck and lmk if you have any more questions!
      06-04-2023, 05:50 PM   #10
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
I've had the RGB ones in for the better part of a year and no issues yet. I said to disable the DRL function in iDrive ONLY if you get the RGB version. This is because the RGB system can't run off of the OEM wiring for the white DRL chips. So if you order the RGB chips, you will have to run 12v power from somewhere else; the new boards will also come with some really dim amber leds on them - you leave your OEM wiring plugged into the new boards to prevent errors but you keep them powered off to prevent overheating and because they're not necessary.

If you get a single colored aftermarket chip (e.g. CSL yellow), then you simply replace the OEM chip and use OEM wiring. Simple plugnplay with zero issues and you DON'T disable the DRL in iDrive.

Also, don't use thermal paste. You need to use thermal adhesive. Thermal paste won't secure the boards tight enough to the heatsinks to prevent them from moving. Any thermal adhesive should work - just make sure you use a similar amount to OEM and give it 24 hours to cure properly before installing the heatsinks back into the car.

Good luck and lmk if you have any more questions!
https://youtu.be/88TTNXZAKDA
Oh hey, wouldn’t have expected you to respond to this thread haha
Alright thanks for the info man

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
samsamdar584.50