BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why I will never buy another BMW... (Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW ?)

04-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #133
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
Ok... Whatever you said, then let see that time if the base model will still be available or not.
I really enjoyed your initial post on the previous page. But you’ll need a knowledge check as the CS is not something known at this time. The competition version is upcoming which we all once thought would be badged the CS. In addition, the current “base” model will not be offered when the competition model comes out. The competition will only be sold at that time.

Hope this info helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #134
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Ok... Whatever you said, then let see that time if the base model will still be available or not.
The second paragraph literally says it’s a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #135
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Do you know what "would have" means?
In jason86's defense...

I think he is having issues with English. You can tell English isn't his first language from his sentence structure.
M-Pilot4860.50
      04-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #136
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
In jason86's defense...

I think he is having issues with English. You can tell English isn't his first language from his sentence structure.
That's why I asked and sorry if it came out in an offensive way. Many people here, including myself, are non-native speakers so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a confusion due to the language.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #137
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

The cell phone analogy is such a bad one. Electronics in general have a history of being obsolete pretty quickly. Apple (and other brands) has released a new phone every year like clockwork for over a decade. People know an upgrade is going to happen, and even when, and if they just have to have the latest and greatest, we're talking maybe a couple hundred buck difference to upgrade. It's a far cry from a 20k hit nine months after you bought the car you've been lusting over for fifteen years.

I can say fear of what happened to the OP is 90% of the reason I don't actually drive an M2 right now and purchased a competing vehicle. I was 90% of the way to buying an M2, hence the username and profile information. The day I was going to place a deposit, I started reading about the Competition/CS, which seriously turned me off buying the current car. I previously thought purchasing the LCI there would not be another model for a solid two to three years. Heck, a few years ago people were not even sure there would be another M2 built at all.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #138
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The M2 CS won't replace the base M2. The base M2 will still available to be order at the same time with the M2 CS.
First off there is no CS confirmed, only the upcoming M2 Competition.

Second, EOP of the base N55 M2 is June 2018. This has been known for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #139
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In jason86's defense...

That's why I asked and sorry if it came out in an offensive way. Many people here, including myself, are non-native speakers so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a confusion due to the language.
I wouldn't worry. I was born in the US, but my dad was born in Croatia. I have "force" like abilities to understand people with heavy accents or mis-formed sentences
M-Pilot4860.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      04-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #140
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Parroting it comes across as apologetic. The change to the rules was not a big surprise to BMW and they would have seen it coming for years. The LCI was the logical time to change the motor. And yet what I can only suspect is total disorganization and logistics issues has led to this unusual move to swap a significant number of parts o hiut after LCI.
Not apologetic.
Just stating that the cycle was erratic and pointing to main culprit, IMO.
F80 is sunsetting early as well, due to these same rule implementations.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #141
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
The cell phone analogy is such a bad one. Electronics in general have a history of being obsolete pretty quickly. Apple (and other brands) has released a new phone every year like clockwork for over a decade. People know an upgrade is going to happen, and even when, and if they just have to have the latest and greatest, we're talking maybe a couple hundred buck difference to upgrade. It's a far cry from a 20k hit nine months after you bought the car you've been lusting over for fifteen years.

I can say fear of what happened to the OP is 90% of the reason I don't actually drive an M2 right now and purchased a competing vehicle. I was 90% of the way to buying an M2, hence the username and profile information. The day I was going to place a deposit, I started reading about the Competition/CS, which seriously turned me off buying the current car. I previously thought purchasing the LCI there would not be another model for a solid two to three years. Heck, a few years ago people were not even sure there would be another M2 built at all.
I agree about the smartphone analogy. It's not quite the same thing. I feel for people like the OP, and glad it doesn't bother me. It would be nice to have the new engine, and option for the seats, but it would be all fluff for me. I've liked the M2 the way it was from the beginning. I could have bought a slightly used M4 for what I paid for my M2 or a little cheaper. I just like the look of the M2.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #142
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Biscuits View Post
EDIT : So I've read most of the comments on here, and they are all good. I still feel a bit pissed off but i realise now I shouldn't be. Here is what I took from the responses...
1) I probably shouldn’t have titled it “Why I will never buy…” and maybe gone with “Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW...”
2) I'm being a "butthurt" (I've never heard that term until yesterday)
3) I have no reason to feel pissed at BMW, it's just business
4) My post went on a bit too long.

Would I but another BMW? Possibly. I will wait to see the 2nd generation M2
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4452.00
      04-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #143
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Allegro Vanden Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
It's a far cry from a 20k hit nine months after you bought the car you've been lusting over for fifteen years.
Thanks for the validation.

I've learnt a valuable lesson, which is I will never buy a new car again. That was my first and last. It felt good to spec it, it was a lovely feeling on the collection day but losing all that money in a short space of time just for it to be replaced. Next time I will pick up a 1yr old and spend the saved money on mods

What car did you get? RS3? AMG A45
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #144
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Allegro Vanden Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Did I use it in the wrong context? I had to look it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #145
Guydj1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LBB

I hear a lot of frustration purchasing your new M2 and shortly after the latest and greatest arrives to take its place! I myself managed to bag pre registered M2 from a dealer with 6k off of list price, did it bother me I wasn’t the first name on the log book or not spec it to my exact requiredments? no not at all given 95% of what I’d of ticked as an option i have. I’m just glad I’ve bought an M2 and maybe in a few years time I may bag one of the last M2 Competitions
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #146
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Biscuits View Post
Thanks for the validation.

I've learnt a valuable lesson, which is I will never buy a new car again. That was my first and last. It felt good to spec it, it was a lovely feeling on the collection day but losing all that money in a short space of time just for it to be replaced. Next time I will pick up a 1yr old and spend the saved money on mods

What car did you get? RS3? AMG A45
RS3

I highly prefer buying new cars, but there is no doubt for someone right now buying the original M2, buying lightly used is the way to go. None months ago you did not know that, and at the end of the day all of this is hindsight and you can't beat yourself up over it. It would be nice if BMW would try to protect their customers a bit more, though.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #147
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Also - BMW fucked up by not making the M2 standard with the S55. The current M2 isn't much of an upgrade over the M235i...I mean look at the pricing for crying out loud.

This should have been the case years ago...it was a marketing blunder that they are trying to fix now.
Which I think is the bottom line here. This is pretty quick for an engine change. Especially considering the N55 in the M2 isn't particularly special...which was somewhat of a hold up for some people. Not to mention the B58 being released soon after.

I can see being ticked.

Almost seems like BMW was sitting on a stock of old N55's they had to get rid of...

And certainly that they seemed to use the N55 to test the waters for the M2 market cost effectively.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #148
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

Almost seems like BMW was sitting on a stock of old N55's they had to get rid of...
No. If they had leftover N55's they needed to get rid of they could have just created more of the 2012 cars. For the M2, which they knew would be relatively limited release, they chose to develop the N55 parts w/ S55 ensuring a reliable, high performance engine that's a cut above the M235i but below the M3/4s.

Last edited by M2_Purist; 04-20-2018 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: addition to make more precise
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #149
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

I understand the OP's original point. This isn't something cheap like a cellphone to many people.

If someone really wants something specific and then they "settle" for something else because it's the closest thing to what they really wanted and then later what they really wanted becomes available then that person usually feels the remorse and eventually lives with it or buys the new thing. In this case, it hurts a little more because BMW didn't give rise to the m2 in a clean manner. It's obvious that the m2 comp is more inline with what M GmbH wanted to design in the first place but they were going against the grain when it comes to vehicle size and corresponding demand. They had to get things past finances so they released what they could when they could. In software engineering, this is called the waterfall approach. The key benefit of this approach is that it gets a product out earlier to generate revenue and in many cases it gets a product out that, otherwise, would not have been able to even be launched...ever. This was the only way BMW could have launched this chassis. Enthusiasts like us loved it because we were desperate for the size. Take this to console yourself OP...The m2 isn't perfect but the m2 comp isn't either. Neither is the sunset orange perfect and what we prefer changes over time. Perhaps later you might prefer the LBB when you see it in real life next to an SO in real life.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #150
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
OP, all of your complaints are ridiculous and most are your fault. It has been clear that the N55 engine was going to be phased out, I knew this in 2016 and anyone who did even a modest amount of information would know the same. Your complaint about the colors is silly, BMW doesn't tell their sales guys there product plans so expecting them to know information like future product details before they are announced is silly. Due to Euro environmental restrictions that are being implemented this year the N55 has to go, BMW didn't have much choice, in fact they have decided to stop production of the M3 this summer because they needed to do further mods to get it to pass. If you want to blame someone find the politicians who passed the rules.

You have not been damaged in any way, that car you loved is still in your possession to enjoy.
Well it turns out you're a genius because I assure you most people in 2016 were not thinking the S55 would replace the N55 as the base model car. People would have told you that's absurd and it would cannibalize f8x sales.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #151
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
There's about 100 posts in this thread about why it wasn't as simple as that. Nobody knew anything at all, it was pure speculation. People who have bought BMW M cars in the past went on experience. Don't be so obtuse. There is no lack of acceptance, just justifiable consumer bitterness around paying too much for a beta test. If you owned one, you might have more empathy.

I'm annoyed about it as an '18 owner. Just as 330 owners were annoyed. Just as WRX owners were annoyed before the 265. It's not ethical to do this to your consumer base. Everyone expects moderate changes, and bigger ones at the LCI. Everything else is rumor. A brand new engine, seats, gauges, mirrors, bumper, is unprecedented in BMW's history following an LCI. I don't see how this is eluding people in this thread. Am I taking crazy pills?

Hey maybe we'll get an S58 M2 in two more years!
I feel exactly like you. When did the f80 get a new engine? Oh it didn't. When did the e90 get a new engine? Oh it didn't. When did the e46 get a new engine? Oh it didn't. Were the M5s getting new engines in their life cycle? I don't believe so. I know M cars have had engine changes but it does not seem common or expected to me, but most of the people in here just seem to be like oh of course the M2 would get the S55. I swear had I been saying in 2016 the M2 would obviously get the S55 as the base model people would have been telling me I'm insane. Now that it's happened everyone seems to think it's totally normal. Normal would have been the G series M2 getting a new engine, that's what people expect.

Kind of reminds me of Trump being the US president. Had I said that Trump would be president 6 years ago everyone would have told me I'm crazy and it would never happen, never in a million years. Now it's the new normal and people forget how unexpected it was. This is not normal.
Appreciate 3
      04-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #152
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Well it turns out you're a genius because I assure you most people in 2016 were not thinking the S55 would replace the N55 as the base model car. People would have told you that's absurd and it would cannibalize f8x sales.
Some members here try to run BMWs business from their computer. That's when you need to take all those perspectives with a grain of salt, build your own case, make your own decision and forget everything you'll miss out on.

Current M2 owners and future M2C owners are biased towards their own. More so with the current ones being they've already got theirs.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #153
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Wow... can't believe this thread continues. So, I'll add my 2˘

I can somewhat empathize with the OP's sentiments... but, at the end of the day, no matter what comes next - and there will always be a newer iteration with better stuff - the car sitting in your garage remains unchanged, as does the enjoyment it provides.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #154
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

To funny.

Love it, I am also Croatian...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry. I was born in the US, but my dad was born in Croatia. I have "force" like abilities to understand people with heavy accents or mis-formed sentences
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4452.00