BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Going on the Ring while doing ED

08-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #23
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I did ED September 2016 and DID NOT drive my M2 on the Ring. I rented a Clio RS for 4 laps which was more than enough car for my buddy and me.

If I were able to take the financial hit of totaling my brand new M2 I would have taken it on the track, but I can't so I didn't risk it. I only had a 2 day window to participate in Touristenfahrten and both days were really busy. The Germans know how to drive fast on that track - I do not. After testing the waters with the rental I decided the Germans were far too insane for me to take the M2 (fast, risky passing - Hot Lap drivers going balls out). I don't regret not driving it. My first lap on a prior trip I was almost run off the track by an asshat in a i8. You never know. If the track was less busy, I was committed to take the M2, but it wasn't meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #24
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
I did ED September 2016 and DID NOT drive my M2 on the Ring. I rented a Clio RS for 4 laps which was more than enough car for my buddy and me.

If I were able to take the financial hit of totaling my brand new M2 I would have taken it on the track, but I can't so I didn't risk it. I only had a 2 day window to participate in Touristenfahrten and both days were really busy. The Germans know how to drive fast on that track - I do not. After testing the waters with the rental I decided the Germans were far too insane for me to take the M2 (fast, risky passing - Hot Lap drivers going balls out). I don't regret not driving it. My first lap on a prior trip I was almost run off the track by an asshat in a i8. You never know. If the track was less busy, I was committed to take the M2, but it wasn't meant to be.
This is a good idea after September and not during or before. Also there are insurance considerations to be aware of. For many a lap is management of risk more than pleasure. Consider this carefully with a new car. The proper way is a Ring tool as noted above and with an instructor to improve your driving.
Appreciate 0