07-03-2023, 07:09 AM   #1
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si / F87 M2

New owner's questions

Hi all!
Just received my 2018 LCI M2 DCT (non-comp) in Long Beach Blue. Super excited, but after driving a few hundred miles home, some questions are already popping up. For the first time in my life I have no plans for performance mods, but I would like to change a lot in the electronics department (sign of times?).

- Is there any way to split the drive mode settings between engine/exhaust/transmission (like in the Competition)? I would like the Comfort setting to have the Sport throttle response.
- I know I can replace the switch panel next to the gear selector with a one having also a parking sensor button. Any other fun little P&P mods like this?

iDrive:
MyBMW app tells me that I have lifetime Remote Services, ConnectedDrive and Teleservices. It lets me buy a Connected Booster Package, CarPlay Preparation, Concierge services and Map Update.
- is it possible to activate CarPlay on my own? I used to code Exx chassis, I already got a new E-NET cable and will try to get the hang of it. Is it just a software change? Or hardware retrofit?
- is it possible to download and update maps for free?
- anything worthwhile in Remote Services package?
- will any of the manual coding void the BMW extended warranty?

More to come I guess...

EDIT: Oh yes, one more already:
- is the braking system capable of handling an occasional track day out of the box? Or sports brake fluid/steel brake lines are mandatory?

Last edited by GTwice; 07-03-2023 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #2
adorsa_e46m3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Performance Edition

Congrats! I picked up 2017 OG M2 a few months ago and had many of the same questions. kubax86 is a prominent forum member and also provides coding services for the m2 platform. He can help install CarPlay, update maps, update idrive, etc. Check out his website at Bimmer-remote.com. Solid customer service and fair prices. It should not void the warranty.

As far as I know, you cannot separate comfort/sport/sport+ between engine/transmission, but you can get coding to have exhaust flaps open on demand. Other forum members may have more knowledge here.

I would do brake fluid for track day. For first time track day, existing brake pads are fine. If you have multiple track days under your belt and looking to push car a bit further, I suggest upgraded pads.
Appreciate 1
7tune115.00
      07-03-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
You can update the maps yourself. First you'll need an FSC code, which can be obtained for free in this thread..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...49582&page=519

Then you'll need to download the current map files, which you can find linked in the same forum. It's a bit of a PITA but can be done, I've done it on my buddy's F82 and it was relatively painless.
      07-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #4
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Welcome to M2 ownership!
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0