BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

03-09-2024, 09:46 AM   #177
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Hello,

Not really sure whether this should be posted here or in the M2 Comp threads.
Anyways, i am about to buy an M2. I locked my thoughts first on the normal M2 becase the price range was decent for me. As I began searching and waiting for a good M2 to show up in some dealership, i began to see a lot of M2 Comps.
When asking, the dealers seem to say that everyone is shifting their likes to the Comps.

On paper, it really seems that the Comp is not worth the extra cash as it is only 0.2 seconds faster from 0-100km. Ofcourse 0-100 is not everything and i have not test driven them yet.

Is the Comp worth the bigger wallet blow?
1-is it remarkably faster than the older M2? If so, in early acceleration, in 0-100, in high speed overtaking, where exactly is it faster?

2-what will i feel different between the N55 and S55? Does S55 have like a much sharper take off? Is it more "scary" quick?

3- when overtaking, like from 80-120km, or 110-140km, does the M2 comp have much more surge of power?

Thanks for all advice! Appreciate everyone's answers. <3
FORGIVE ME if i already posted this in this thread (i dont remember).

IF you can stomach the sound of the M2C, do it. I would have rather had the m2c, but i cant stand the noise.
Its a little faster, a little upgraded, a couple cool front bumper changes... but the sound
      03-09-2024, 06:43 PM   #178
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by spavlas77 View Post
Nothing precise. I was just pointing out that the OG has more advantages than just the sound as you were saying.

The M2C was only made because N55 did not conform with EU emission limits. It is a car made out of necessity, not because BMW wanted to improve the OG M2. As they undoubtedly did with M2CS.

They both have their quirks and they both have things they are better at than the other. For instance, I would in no way want to exchange my OG for an M2C, even if it was for free as I do not see the M2C as the next step in the car world. I highly value the fact that I always know what my OG will do. I did not feel the same with M2C.
I would love to own the CS though.
This is the most copium/owners bias response I've ever heard for this argument lol. You would not take a more valuable and capable car for free... lmfao

If you think the M2C was not much of an improvement over the OG M2, but the M2CS was a big improvement over the M2C, you sir are hilarious.

The motor, interior, suspension, body styling are all massively improved from OG to M2C for a mere $10k uptick. May have been the most significant 'facelift' for any BMW series ever. I paid that for just a cf roof and cf buckets in my G87.

The CS added a lip kit, cf roof/hood, and slightly improved suspension for $30k+. It was neither a large improvement nor a justifyable price for non-collectors.

Last edited by rcouchh; 03-09-2024 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197365.00
      03-10-2024, 07:52 AM   #179
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
This is the most copium/owners bias response I've ever heard for this argument lol. You would not take a more valuable and capable car for free... lmfao

If you think the M2C was not much of an improvement over the OG M2, but the M2CS was a big improvement over the M2C, you sir are hilarious.

The motor, interior, suspension, body styling are all massively improved from OG to M2C for a mere $10k uptick. May have been the most significant 'facelift' for any BMW series ever. I paid that for just a cf roof and cf buckets in my G87.

The CS added a lip kit, cf roof/hood, and slightly improved suspension for $30k+. It was neither a large improvement nor a justifyable price for non-collectors.
So much wrong with this, IMO.

1. I also would not take a free comp swap for an OG. Frankly, Id probably even pay more for one.

2. There are bigger gains going from an M2C to a CS than there are going from an OG to a comp. Facts over feelings. (https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/9mldei64e0sc and https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/3phzz3r0zfpd)

3a. The motor isnt better (bearings), the interior was the same (minus digital dials and seats), and the exterior changes are subjective (not a fan of the connected kidney grills, the rims are blatantly worse, and The Udder).

3b. If one were looking to buy an s55 M car, the M3s/4s are and have better options.

4. The CS's "slightly improved suspension" was the full-on adjustable adaptive damper system from the M3/4. Don't downplay it; owners and reviewers say it transforms the car.

5. As for the price? I think the CS easily competes with higher level P-cars for their intended use; and since they are cheaper to fix (and more fun), more people will want to own and drive them. It seems like P-cars are just investment vehicles now anyways.
      03-10-2024, 08:25 AM   #180
baggiedamu
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Can we please settle this and just agree that all f87s are great! End thread
Appreciate 3
jefe2000776.50
qnet684.50
      03-10-2024, 09:06 AM   #181
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
How come you think it less was fun going stage 2?
Did the turbo take longer to pick up with a larger intercooler?
Yes, for sure there is more perceived lag/boost hit. And before all the crybabies chime in that I've got a boost leak, I've done the logs and they are perfect.

The response of the car with the stock intercooler + Fabspeed sport cat was for sure better, so if I had it to do over again I'd go Fabspeed + CP/BP/DV and custom tune and skip the larger intercooler and stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #182
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
The motor, interior, suspension, body styling are all massively improved from OG to M2C...
Hold on there trigger.

1. The S55 isn't an improvement at all if you don't track the car. Only the VANOS was slightly improved for the S55, and is overall meaningless really.
2. The suspension is identical (you should know this...).
3. Body styling is subjective, and I'd wager that more people prefer the more classic BMW kidney's to the M2C's (me included).

Quote:
...for a mere $10k uptick...
You really should sort your facts before you blather-about.

The difference in price was in fact just $5400, and an absolute steal for most, as the 2NH and mirrors were worth more than that (to say nothing of the seats, seatbelts, M buttons). But for those like myself that only wanted the mirrors, which I got for $1750), and hated the S55 sound, and the cow-udder exhaust and ill-fitting, less-comfortable seats, $5400 was too much.

Quote:
I paid that for just a cf roof and cf buckets in my G87.
The fact that you actually paid money for that turd should take you out of this discussion, but you do make some valid points (for some), so you may remain.

Quote:
The CS was neither a large improvement nor a justifyable price for non-collectors.
The CS was made for BMW enthusiasts that don't have to ask the price.
Appreciate 3
mtoosexy730.00
philth229.50
      03-10-2024, 12:06 PM   #183
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

It's so funny that after 6 years the F87 kids are still using their ruler to measure their cars worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #184
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
This is a funny thread. They are both great cars and you cant go wrong with either one of them. Let’s save the hate for the G87 bunch.
      03-10-2024, 04:04 PM   #185
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Yes, for sure there is more perceived lag/boost hit. And before all the crybabies chime in that I've got a boost leak, I've done the logs and they are perfect.

The response of the car with the stock intercooler + Fabspeed sport cat was for sure better, so if I had it to do over again I'd go Fabspeed + CP/BP/DV and custom tune and skip the larger intercooler and stage 2
What intercooler did you go for ?

Yes I love the quick pick up on the stock OG M2

Last edited by timchump; 03-10-2024 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #186
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
What intercooler did you go for ?

Yes I love the quick pick up on the stock OG M2
I bought the CSF.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 11:00 AM   #187
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

Quote:

I mean... would you exchange your G87 for a Bugatti Chiron? Provided you do not trade it in and pocket the money?

As you will undoubtedly agree, your G87 have some things it is better at than Bugatti Chiron even though Bugatti is much much more expensive.

I highly value the fact that I feel safe and comfortable in my OG. I did not really trust the M2C when I was driving it. Especially on wet roads. So for me, the OG with all the added factors (as previously mentioned sound and running costs and insurance etc.) is just the better car even though the M2C is more expensive.

I am pretty sure it is the same way with your G87 and the Bugatti.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #188
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
I highly value the fact that I feel safe and comfortable in my OG. I did not really trust the M2C when I was driving it. Especially on wet roads
I'm curious why you think the M2C is unsafe. Do you think the OGM2 really handles better in rain than the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:04 PM   #189
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Hold on there trigger.

1. The S55 isn't an improvement at all if you don't track the car.

...ill-fitting, less-comfortable seats
Lol... you lost all credibility here bud. Are you that biased to believe this?

Aside from that 1st statement, If you think the seats in the OG M2 beat out the seats in the M2C/M3/M4, idk what to say. The OG M2 literally has base 2-series seats, with a crooked seating position. Probably the first person to ever argue that..

Last edited by rcouchh; 03-12-2024 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:23 PM   #190
Kef9
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Manual, F80 M3C Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
So much wrong with this, IMO.

1. I also would not take a free comp swap for an OG. Frankly, Id probably even pay more for one.

3b. If one were looking to buy an s55 M car, the M3s/4s are and have better options.
100% agree with these points. Which is why I have an OG M2 and an M3C LCI2. I also don’t want fake digital dials or a Kia grill.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 11:52 PM   #191
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kef9 View Post
100% agree with these points. Which is why I have an OG M2 and an M3C LCI2. I also don’t want fake digital dials or a Kia grill.
Still! The dials on the LCI are NOT fake.
      03-13-2024, 05:04 AM   #192
spavlas77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm curious why you think the M2C is unsafe. Do you think the OGM2 really handles better in rain than the M2C?
Tbh, yeah, I feel like the M2C has much (much, much) steeper torque curve at around 2000 rpms which can kick in quite unexpectedly and unsettle the car. I can get the OG sideways when I want to but I have never had it go sideways when I did not want to (maybe except for a few snow situations). But with the M2C I just did not feel the connection as I did with the OG.

Granted, I was not the most experienced driver when buying the car (and Im still not, LOL), so it might be different for you or someone who is more used to RWD cars with a lot of horsepower.

Subjectively, I just felt better when driving the OG.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:27 AM   #193
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I mean... would you exchange your G87 for a Bugatti Chiron? Provided you do not trade it in and pocket the money?

As you will undoubtedly agree, your G87 have some things it is better at than Bugatti Chiron even though Bugatti is much much more expensive.

I highly value the fact that I feel safe and comfortable in my OG. I did not really trust the M2C when I was driving it. Especially on wet roads. So for me, the OG with all the added factors (as previously mentioned sound and running costs and insurance etc.) is just the better car even though the M2C is more expensive.

I am pretty sure it is the same way with your G87 and the Bugatti.
So you're not answering the question, because you can't, and admit you can't drive, therefore cars with actual power are bad. Ok, fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:35 AM   #194
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I'm stuffed...can one overdose on popcorn?
Appreciate 3
qnet684.50
      03-13-2024, 06:51 AM   #195
spavlas77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
So you're not answering the question, because you can't, and admit you can't drive, therefore cars with actual power are bad. Ok, fair enough.
The fact that you cannot read with comprehension in your first language (and cannot admit it to yourself) is in my honest opinion much much more appalling than me choosing a car I felt more connection with.

The OG M2 has enough power as is. The car is perfectly balanced, but that is my subjective opinion. Besides, in the M2C my gripe was not the added POWER, but the much steeper and somewhat unpredictable TORQUE CURVE. I.e. TORQUE is something else than POWER and the issue is not MORE TORQUE but DIFFERENT ONSET OF TORQUE.

I cannot speak for my driving capabilities as I am still learning. But aren't we all?

But you with your M car should know more than others that more power/torque/whatever does not equal better car/more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:52 AM   #196
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_sweden View Post
Still! The dials on the LCI are NOT fake.
I took him to mean the digital faces of the comp’s instrument cluster vs the physical dials in the LCI. Additionally, i think the font change in the comp looks cartoony in comparison.
      03-13-2024, 07:06 AM   #197
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
The fact that you cannot read with comprehension in your first language (and cannot admit it to yourself) is in my honest opinion much much more appalling than me choosing a car I felt more connection with.

The OG M2 has enough power as is. The car is perfectly balanced, but that is my subjective opinion. Besides, in the M2C my gripe was not the added POWER, but the much steeper and somewhat unpredictable TORQUE CURVE. I.e. TORQUE is something else than POWER and the issue is not MORE TORQUE but DIFFERENT ONSET OF TORQUE.

I cannot speak for my driving capabilities as I am still learning. But aren't we all?

But you with your M car should know more than others that more power/torque/whatever does not equal better car/more fun.
again you go on about the torque curve, which proves you know nothing of the S55. It was designed from the get go to feel NA with a more linear torque curve as opposed to the typical turbo motor that gives you a bunch of torque at 1200 rpm (that's your N55) and then dies. I can see why you are unable to tell the difference, your last car was a LADA or a donkey.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:39 AM   #198
spavlas77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
again you go on about the torque curve, which proves you know nothing of the S55. It was designed from the get go to feel NA with a more linear torque curve as opposed to the typical turbo motor that gives you a bunch of torque at 1200 rpm (that's your N55) and then dies. I can see why you are unable to tell the difference, your last car was a LADA or a donkey.
I don't know. Maybe you are right. I have never psuhed a NA car with heaps of power and torque.

I believe that the thing that felt off-putting in M2C was that the torque went all in very suddenly at around 2000 RPMs. In the OG you know what to expect because you have all the torque available all the time, whereas in the M2C nothing happens and then all the torque kicks in all at the same time.

Again, I am not saying that one is better than the other. I am saying that subjectively, OG feels more predictable.
Appreciate 0