BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Repairs on OEM F87 wheels - Is it normal lacquer?

04-03-2024, 07:10 PM   #1
BrenIRL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Honda S2000 & EK Civic

Repairs on OEM F87 wheels - Is it normal lacquer?

So, after just a couple of months of ownership I have today done the unthinkable and chipped the paint/lacquer on the passenger rear wheel, while exiting a multi-storey car park.

Aside from giving me penance for my sin, can someone advise on if there is anything unique about the paint or lacquer used on these wheels?
Where I have chipped it, it looks almost like the finish is diamond-cut, with a thick tinted lacquer/clear-coat?

Has anyone had these wheels repaired? Was it straight forward, or were there any “gotchas”, lessons learned, or specific instructions to be given to the wheel repair shop?

Damage as shown in the attached photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:57 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

1. It happens, don't beat yourself up over it.

2. The clear that SAI uses is tinted, and literally can't be matched by any wheel shop perfectly (no matter what some guys on here will tell you), but I've seen some get close (too bad it won't last).

3. I recommend that you start looking for a non-refurbished used 437M and upon getting it, sell this one to someone needing a spare for Winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 11:31 AM   #3
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

I agree with MPhatic. If you are very picky (OCD) about your wheels, best start looking for a replacement wheel, new or used. The wheels are diamond cut, and that, combined with the tinted clear coat can't be matched by any wheel repair shop. Save yourself time and frustration by getting a replacement wheel, which is what I ended up doing after paying a very reputable shop to repair some rash.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13916.50
      04-05-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

currently having my 513’s being refinished..the factory “paint” is pretty damn durable. My guy tried to use aircraft paint stripper to remove it and is now sandblasting them. Honestly, you can try to get a shop to fix that one wheel for like 2-300….or get them all powdercoated/refinished for about 5-700…I’d get them all powdercoated
Appreciate 1