05-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

M2 take 2

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I sold my M2 LBB manual '16 (big mistake!). I sold it and bought a GT4 which was one hell of a car but not as fun IMHO. I sold that and have been on the lookout since for a decent deal. When opportunity came I jumped on it immediately. Tomorrow I will hopefully be the owner of a Mineral Grey DCT '17 M2. M performance exhaust, carbon m performance kit (everything except the wing). I can't wait!

The M2 was always the one I regret selling and I'm very happy to have found this deal. Hopefully all goes well and will post photos soon!

I have a lot of catching up to do will update myself on the forums.

Last edited by MYK; 05-27-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Do you mind expounding on why you prefer the M2 to the GT4?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

My guess is the torque, shorter gearing and cheaper running cost and depreciation
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4185.00
      05-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Congratulations and welcome back.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Do you mind expounding on why you prefer the M2 to the GT4?
I’m not saying its a better car, it was just more fun. Also, as a daily driver, there was no comparison. Plus on track, I really enjoyed the M2’s rear end. I’m an amature and have limited experience but I honestly enjoyed the M2 more. With the GT4 the fun was getting better lap times, where as with the M2 it was more about having fun .. if it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
My guess is the torque, shorter gearing and cheaper running cost and depreciation
Yup and these. Even though the high revving GT4 was also insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Congratulations and welcome back.
Thank you!
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Congrats. Regarding fun though, are you sure automatic transmission is the way to go here? Just a thought. To me automatics are mind numbing so just make sure you know what you're getting into when searching for fun. Not trying to be a party pooper.. Just my opinion
Appreciate 2
JB330Ci55.00
      05-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Congrats. Regarding fun though, are you sure automatic transmission is the way to go here? Just a thought. To me automatics are mind numbing so just make sure you know what you're getting into when searching for fun.
I happen to have a DCT Mineral Gray '18 M2, so I'm probably biased, but...

The dual clutch transmission really gives you the best of both worlds! Yeah, there isn't a third pedal, but you can put it into manual, and you have total control over when the car shifts! I love using the paddles or the stick to manually control which gear the car uses... and when I'm in stop and go traffic (which is pretty often in Los Angeles) and I want to be lazy, I can stick it into auto mode, and the car shifts faster then I ever could hope to shift!

Add to that a (2 tenths of a second to 60) faster car then the manual, PLUS launch control to give you the optimum take off, and the DCT is not much of a compromise over manual, if any!

I have a friend who's got a MY 18 M2 manual, and he tells me his one regret is getting the manual transmission. Not sure if his choice would be different if he lived somewhere else, but in any case, that's his one and only regret.

Congrats on getting back into an M2! Every time I pull mine out of my garage, it brings a smile to my face!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome...... and MG
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      05-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Those crazy long gears
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Great story! Are u not waiting on M2C?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have both GT4 (my second and forth 981) and a 17 M2 6sp (my forth M car) with a order on a M2 comp. totally different cars the M2 is a fun car and something you can use as i do for a DD. The GT4 handling is another level . The M2 shift linkage i find clunky the GT4s is the best linkage i have ever driven in 55 years of only owning mt cars. I have tracked both and the M2s higher center of gravity you can really feel but still really fun. The GT4 is 400 lbs lighter makes a big difference. gearing in the 4 is to long(80 in 2nd 117 3rd) the 2 is to short. Love the torque of the M2 the GT4 is flat below 3.5K . If you only could have one car that you had to use as a dd and still be fun on the track go with the M2. My M2 comp should be here in sept it will be interesting to see the difference. carl

Last edited by carl44; 05-28-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
grl.racr382.50
      05-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Congrats. Regarding fun though, are you sure automatic transmission is the way to go here? Just a thought. To me automatics are mind numbing so just make sure you know what you're getting into when searching for fun. Not trying to be a party pooper.. Just my opinion
I agree and MT was my preference but this was a nice deal and I think auto would be a better daily for the traffic I deal with every day. I’m also having some back/leg problems and manual will not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post

The dual clutch transmission really gives you the best of both worlds! Yeah, there isn't a third pedal, but you can put it into manual, and you have total control over when the car shifts! I love using the paddles or the stick to manually control which gear the car uses... and when I'm in stop and go traffic (which is pretty often in Los Angeles) and I want to be lazy, I can stick it into auto mode, and the car shifts faster then I ever could hope to shift!

Add to that a (2 tenths of a second to 60) faster car then the manual, PLUS launch control to give you the optimum take off, and the DCT is not much of a compromise over manual, if any!

I have a friend who's got a MY 18 M2 manual, and he tells me his one regret is getting the manual transmission. Not sure if his choice would be different if he lived somewhere else, but in any case, that's his one and only regret.

Congrats on getting back into an M2! Every time I pull mine out of my garage, it brings a smile to my face!
Thanks, it seems every video in the world everyone is saying to skip the auto. I tried a friends’ DCT and it was really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Great story! Are u not waiting on M2C?
Would love too but above my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
I have both GT4 (my second and forth 981) and a 17 M2 6sp (my forth M car) with a order on a M2 comp. totally different cars the M2 is a fun car and something you can use as i do for a DD. The GT4 handling is another level . The M2 shift linkage i find clunky the GT4s is the best linkage i have ever driven in 55 years of only owning mt cars. I have tracked both and the M2s higher center of gravity you can really feel but still really fun. The GT4 is 400 lbs lighter makes a big difference. gearing in the 4 is to long(80 in 2nd 117 3rd) the 2 is to short. Love the torque of the M2 the GT4 is flat below 3.5K . If you only could have one car that you had to use as a dd and still be fun on the track go with the M2. My M2 comp should be here in sept it will be interesting to see the difference. carl
Very informative, thank you! I hope to have your experience some day.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats. Regarding fun though, are you sure automatic transmission is the way to go here? Just a thought. To me automatics are mind numbing so just make sure you know what you're getting into when searching for fun.

Don't want to start another MT vs DCT debate, but I have to say that everything you said about the DCT can be said about the ZF8 automatic in cars like the m235i and m240i. They too can be made to shift only manually with the pedals or stick and would not shift otherwise and they improve 0-60 times. I understand that DCT uses clutches and does not have a torque converter. I test drove a DCT and know it's slightly different from a ZF8 but it's not different enough to be so close to a manual.

Unlike your friend, my only regret with my m235i was that I didn't get MT, something I kicked myself for till the end of the lease.

Of course to each his/her own and people have different preferences. I just wanted to give the counter point in the discussion.

Congrats to the OP on coming back to the M2!
      05-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
That's just something us manual guys tell DCT owners to make them feel better.

Congrats to the OP on getting back into an M2. No consideration to hold out for the competition model?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

Congrats to the OP on getting back into an M2. No consideration to hold out for the competition model?
+1 maybe get the comp??
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #16
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Don't want to start another MT vs DCT debate, but I have to say that everything you said about the DCT can be said about the ZF8 automatic in cars like the m235i and m240i. They too can be made to shift only manually with the pedals or stick and would not shift otherwise and they improve 0-60 times. I understand that DCT uses clutches and does not have a torque converter. I test drove a DCT and know it's slightly different from a ZF8 but it's not different enough to be so close to a manual.

Unlike your friend, my only regret with my m235i was that I didn't get MT, something I kicked myself for till the end of the lease.

Of course to each his/her own and people have different preferences. I just wanted to give the counter point in the discussion.

I had an M235i with the ZF auto and never used it in manual mode. I tried it and just couldn't get used to it. When driving my M2 I'm in manual-mode 90% of the time. It's more fun to shift in manual mode with the DCT IMO, versus the ZF. I never thought I'd like it as much as I do. The trade off is the ZF was smoother and still better in traffic than the DCT. No disagreement from me, just my experience and opinion. I do wonder what driving a manual M2 would be like at times.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 05:57 AM   #17
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Thanks and I agree with your points. I still look for the clutch with my left foot every time I start the car and constantly tell myself that I should of waited for a manual. But for my current use, daily driver to work and all with very bad traffic, I’m definitely not missing the third pedal as much as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

Thanks. No that’s out of my budget, got this for a very good deal.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #18
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

And i thought the GT4 is the Next best car upgrade after the M2 experience! Congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #19
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8 View Post
And i thought the GT4 is the Next best car upgrade after the M2 experience! Congrats
Thanks, great to see another member from Kuwait!

Yeah it felt like an upgrade at first and don’t get me wrong it is IMHO the better car, but not a great daily. Not as much fun and I can’t get over the fact that it’s a Cayman underneath it all. No offense to anyone, it’s a great car but at least to me Porsche = 911 ... always!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
Holdens
Rep
Drives: GMC

Both great cars! Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I sold my M2 LBB manual '16 (big mistake!). I sold it and bought a GT4 which was one hell of a car but not as fun IMHO. I sold that and have been on the lookout since for a decent deal. When opportunity came I jumped on it immediately. Tomorrow I will hopefully be the owner of a Mineral Grey DCT '17 M2. M performance exhaust, carbon m performance kit (everything except the wing). I can't wait!

The M2 was always the one I regret selling and I'm very happy to have found this deal. Hopefully all goes well and will post photos soon!

I have a lot of catching up to do will update myself on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #21
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

M2 is a great all around car at a very reasonable price point. The gt4 is a much better car overall, but not daily friendly considering the stiffer clutch and lack of front axle lift. They are truly worlds apart!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #22
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Are we in the upside down?!

Welcome back!
Appreciate 0