BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Trying Hard to Love my M2

06-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #23
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

A bit of an oddball opinion here, but in general, I'd agree with most people that RWD is more fun to drive than FWD. Having said that, the best FWD cars, which include the original Mini, the BMW Mini, and Integra and Civic Type Rs etc. are really very enjoyable for different reasons.

The most fun I've ever had on the street, was in an original Mini (1985 MY) which I modified with a 1293cc engine, ported cylinder head, upgraded brakes etc. I think it had less than 100 bhp, but of course weighed nothing.

I grew up in England, near a city called Basingstoke, which is known for having many roundabouts. There is a ring road of dual two lane highway, 75mph limit, broken up by large roundabouts approximately every mile. In the wet, you could go onto a roundabout at about 45 mph, turn the steering of the Mini full lock to the right (remember, drive on the left, roundabouts go clockwise), and steer with the accelerator. Want to go straight, more gas and understeer in a dead straight line loosing no speed. Want to go round the roundabout, ease off and maintain the same speed, all with the wheel at full lock. All of this FWD drifting and you'd probably be exiting the roundabout less than 60mph. As I'm typing this, I'm reminded of another car that I got the chance to use for a couple of days that behaved like this, but was just slightly more powerful, and therefore maybe even more fun - the Ford Puma 1.7.

The first true sports car I had was a Honda S2000, and it was obviously quite fast in its day, but it didn't have enough torque which actually made it a little dangerous. If you could get it to loose grip at the rear, it would happen violently, and then re-gain grip just as violently, often giving you the car equivalent of a 'tank slapper'.

The M2 is not wanting for torque, and if you code in the M4 GTS Euro MDM settings the DSC will allow you to get beautiful drifts at slow speeds whilst still catching you and preventing you from spinning.

I think it's a fact of life now that all cars are heavier, more powerful, handle better, stop better, go better etc. that the only place you can really exploit them, is on a track. With that being said, the M2 may be one of the best new cars available today when it comes to driver involvement, fun and exploitability on the street.

I'm sure every generation has sentimental feelings for the cars of their youth, but times change, and things move on. The M2 isn't perfect by any means, but it may be the best new car available right now.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 06-10-2018 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #24
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I can certainly see how the transition from a light, small, front drive car being driven around town to the M2 could be a bit disappointing. I would guess you had unrealistic expectations of the M2 and probably should have kept the Mini if you loved it so much, I am not saying that sarcastically. I have learned to keep the cars I love because I love them for a reason and chances are the next car won't give me the passion of the one I have. I happen to love my M2 but I suspect I drive mine very differently than you, I live around a lot of wide open roads that are in excellent condition and I track my car both of those situations work to the M2's strength. On the M2 Comp point, the fact is very few people would even touch 40-50% of the capability of a BRZ on a public road and you use up even less of the capability as performance increases however you bought an M2 for a reason so why did you need more power?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I know the feeling, I had a Mini Cooper S with a factory LSD; that car was a like a go-kart with full coverage, I loved darting around city streets in a small car, with the right amount of power.

I gave a few of my adult passengers "Shaken Baby Syndrome" in that vehicle.

Very fews cars could duplicate the playful nature that a small wheelbase FWD vehicle allows..

I am sure you are already aware but you could get one reasonable priced on the pre-owned lots now. Probably less than you sold yours for..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #26
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I understand the OP's disappointment. When I drive my Lotus Elise I get twice the thrill at half the speed because I'm sitting very very low and the car can be tossed around at will. Climbing through the gears is a lot more exciting as you can go to full revs without breaking the law too much and the noise is deafening (I've got a minimal silencer). Even more thrilling was my Caterham Super 7 (there's nothing to beat that in my opinon) but it was too impractical and my head stuck out the top of the low windscreen).

Today's roads have a policeman or a radar around every corner so it's rare to be able to wring out an M2 whereas you CAN do this on the other two cars, up to a point. I've never driven a high performance Mini but i can fully understand how the OP feels. That's not to say I don't love my M2. I adore it too !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #27
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
When you see reviews of the M2 and the reviewer squealing for joy those situations are 100% on a track....you get my perspective.
When I ordered mine, there were no test drives available nor allowed by Canadian dealers (snobby). I had to rely on journalists and blog reviews. I found sensible, non-track reviews of the M2 pre-LCI and it was pretty unanimous, sans the complaints for crooked seats and interior materials. Granted, those reviewers likely did not own a JCW as their daily driver.
I've run into dealers that won't allow test drives and I have an issue with that. I simply will not buy a car without being granted a test drive at some point. I mean it's a bmw, not a Ferrari. I'll make an appointment, and I'll let them run my credit and what not, to ensure them that I'm a serious, prospective buyer, but final sale is always contingent on a test drive. NO EXCEPTIONS. If they won't agree to that, I say, "ok thanks, have a good day" and walk out the door. Usually they then suddenly become willing to grant me a test drive at that point. We're the consumers who they're competing for - in a highly competitive market. If one dealer or brand institutes some bullshit policy like that, you can bet that there's a competitor that doesn't. No test drives allowed? As if your mass produced product is something special that I need to be worthy of..... Fine then, let them rust in your lot(s).

I also don't place much stock in journalist and car publication reviews. I've found plenty of instances where cars that all the journalists, bloggers, and bloggers praised heartily to be underwhelming to me, and cars they were less enthusiastic about to be perfect for me. I find that they're test results and statistics don't necessarily lend insight into the actual driving experience either (at least not as you might experience it). I'm not saying that reviews are totally useless. They're fun and entertaining, but in the end it comes down to subjective opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #28
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

i feel you man. ive had my m2 for a year and half now but i still miss and regret selling my 2012 cooper s. like you i felt the mini was a more fun dd and also the fact that it was cheaper gave me less reasons to baby it. weaving through LA traffic ala italian job style was fun.

but like you, whats done is done. take your m2 on track or on a canyon road and youll forget about the mini.

or you could be lucky enough and have two in laws with minis you can drive every once in a while lol
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #29
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Get a good radar detector and hit the road hard. Of course, you have to be cautious about others around you and be responsible. (Not trying to tell you to be illegal on the road all time)
Radar detector + waze will be a good confidence.

iOS 12 will support waze on Apple Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #30
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I simply will not buy a car without being granted a test drive at some point. I mean it's a bmw, not a Ferrari.
I was considering a Cayman, and rented one from Turo for two days. Loved the car, but found it a hassle to get into and out of, there were two blind spots that really bothered me, and it (obviously) lacked back seats.

After two days, I decided to see what else was out there.

Several weeks later, I rented a brand new M2 (had only 1100 miles on it) for two days. Within about four hours of renting it, I drove over to my BMW dealership, and placed my order for one.

I was able to order an M2 with no money down, and my salesman told me that I could always change my mind, up until it was delivered, as they could always find a buyer for it, so there was still no pressure, even after I custom ordered the M2.

For now on, I'll always try to rent a car from Turo for a day or two before buying it. Honestly, you don't find out a cars quirks or minor annoyances, or strengths for that matter, in a 15 or 30 minute test drive
Appreciate 3
Lucky1647.00
TomAce67.00
      06-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #31
S2kM2dan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 6MT

I think you bought the wrong car. Lot of things you don't like about the M2, generally are loved by most ppl on the forum.

Like others have said, mx5 seems perfect for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Just sold the MINI JCW. Drove it the last time today...

The JCW is a car that you can wind out around the city and really feel the sense of fun and power and acceleration. The M2 is much heavier and although it handles like it is on rails the extra 2 feet of length means that you have to take up more than your lane id you are drifting it at all. Also because of its weight it is way less nimble so I actually drive it more sedately than the MINI.
So it is really not that great around town but is great going fast in open areas....but then there is radar and cops and other drivers....
I guess that just leaves the track.
Honestly at this point I might be feeling remorse after 6 MINI's. ..but as a DD the MINI has the M2 beat on every level. Yes the M2 is way faster to 60mph and it gets more thumbs up from cops and others but really it is like a Ferrari that is really only a show vehicle in North America.
I know you guys will kill me here....but go ahead...give me what you have. ...
Then I guess that brings up the M2C.....really what is the need or point of 40HP more that you can really only brag about with other members of this forum. You will never fully use it on public roads....
I drive and love Mini cooper for daily, keep the M2 for open roads rides and beautiful sound... honestly it is hard to compare both cars but I can understand you get addicted to the JCW
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #33
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Thanx for all the replies. I sold the Mini. I guess the big adjustment of the weight. When driving this car I'm aware of its weight. Not that I'm a tailgater but I would never get right up someone's draw on the road in the M2. I run M3 wheels and even worth that amount of rubber you could not flick it around the car in front of you in a split second.
I'm taking your advice and going to the track. I really think that's where you fall in love with a car like this. You have to be serious when driving in the city...with the odd burst of acceleration!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #34
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

In sense of actual motorsports, BMW doesn't sell any real sports cars.

At autocross, the fastest cars are ... wait for it... go-carts. It's not even a contest. It's kind of amusing that we fuss and bother so much over these big heavy cars when if we really wanted great lap times and exciting experiences, we would all just buy $5000 to $10000 go-carts and be done with it. But we can't drive go-carts on public roads, so we make compromises.

And that's what the German automakers sell to us - the compromises. Because they can't sell go-carts. So it comes down to how you like to drive. Some like small and light. Some like big and heavy - and there are many in betweens.

I have a 340 MPPSK and it honestly has more than enough useable power for all of my driving. And it has so much power that I am frequently getting into the reckless driving zone, at speeds both low and high... But I still want an M car...

I have a friend who has had in the past M3 and M5 and Z4 and currently he has a new MX5. Because he feels the MX5 (manual) is a great driving experience. It has nothing to do with money. He likes small & light.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #35
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

To each their own.
For me, a sports car cannot have front wheel drive. Just doesn't feel right being pulled along.
Sounds like the OP needs a radar detector and maybe a little HPDE.
I'll also strongly disagree about the suitability of the M2 for DD duties... for me, it's quite perfect for the task.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #36
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I used to own a MCS. My first thoughts when I drove my M2 for the first time was it felt like a MINI on steroid. MCS is definitely downgrade for me at this point.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #37
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
In sense of actual motorsports, BMW doesn't sell any real sports cars.

At autocross, the fastest cars are ... wait for it... go-carts. It's not even a contest. It's kind of amusing that we fuss and bother so much over these big heavy cars when if we really wanted great lap times and exciting experiences, we would all just buy $5000 to $10000 go-carts and be done with it. But we can't drive go-carts on public roads, so we make compromises.

And that's what the German automakers sell to us - the compromises. Because they can't sell go-carts. So it comes down to how you like to drive. Some like small and light. Some like big and heavy - and there are many in betweens.

I have a 340 MPPSK and it honestly has more than enough useable power for all of my driving. And it has so much power that I am frequently getting into the reckless driving zone, at speeds both low and high... But I still want an M car...

I have a friend who has had in the past M3 and M5 and Z4 and currently he has a new MX5. Because he feels the MX5 (manual) is a great driving experience. It has nothing to do with money. He likes small & light.
not sure what you are talking about. AutoX and Carting are totally different venue.

if you talk motorsports, please go to a track and see what brands are usual suspects. you won't see Audis, AMGs, Ferraris and Lambos too often. it's mostly Miatas, Porsches, and yes BMWs (esp. M cars).. and why? BMWs do sell capable sports cars that people track and go grocery shopping afterwards. if that's not sporty enough then may be you should drive your go cart everywhere and feel sporty.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #38
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
not sure what you are talking about. AutoX and Carting are totally different venue.

if you talk motorsports, please go to a track and see what brands are usual suspects. you won't see Audis, AMGs, Ferraris and Lambos too often. it's mostly Miatas, Porsches, and yes BMWs (esp. M cars).. and why? BMWs do sell capable sports cars that people track and go grocery shopping afterwards. if that's not sporty enough then may be you should drive your go cart everywhere and feel sporty.
Spot on regarding what cars are at HPDE's.

Putting aside the towed in track only cars most of the cars are Vettes, BMW's, P-Cars, EVO's, STI's, Miata's, Mustangs, Mini's with a smattering of others. Notice that Audi's aren't mentioned. Hardly ever see them at HPDE's.

SCCA Cart classes are really down on HP. I've driven shifter carts and they beat the living snot out of you and are blindingly fast compared to the small HP stuff that's allowed to run in SCCA Solo 2. Those carts are no where near as fast as the Mod class cars The Top A Mod driver was about 8 seconds faster than the fastest Mod Cart driver. The carts are faster than the street car classes though..

My point is the F87 is a small nimble "feeling" car, but in reality its not going to win any transitional type driving, such as slaloms...

I've waited and waited for BMW to crank out a 2002 successor. A simple lightweight chassis with a decent powertrain. I thought the 1 series was gong to be the answer. Nope, then the M2, nope! For their wheelbase they are a total disappointment with their weight totals.

Now my solution is suck it up and get a M2C and have the MX-5 for the lightweight tossable fun days..

They can make a 3100 lb coupe/sedan if they wanted to. I believe that's the magic number for a truly all purpose all feeling sports car...3100 or less lbs.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
termigni1081.00
      06-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #39
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

My solution was to take the sticky tires off and replace them with Pilot AS/3 all-season tires for the street. Less stick means it moves around a lot easier, which is fun. The car is still too much for the street though.

I just use stickier tires on another set of wheels for track work.
      06-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #40
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I understand where you are coming from. I actually daily drive my E30, because at slow speeds I prefer it over the M2. But when it comes to tracks/autox and winding roads outside of Vancouver, the M2 is in its own league. At least at its pricepoint.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #41
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Just sold the MINI JCW. Drove it the last time today...

The JCW is a car that you can wind out around the city and really feel the sense of fun and power and acceleration. The M2 is much heavier and although it handles like it is on rails the extra 2 feet of length means that you have to take up more than your lane id you are drifting it at all. Also because of its weight it is way less nimble so I actually drive it more sedately than the MINI.
So it is really not that great around town but is great going fast in open areas....but then there is radar and cops and other drivers....
I guess that just leaves the track.
Honestly at this point I might be feeling remorse after 6 MINI's. ..but as a DD the MINI has the M2 beat on every level. Yes the M2 is way faster to 60mph and it gets more thumbs up from cops and others but really it is like a Ferrari that is really only a show vehicle in North America.
I know you guys will kill me here....but go ahead...give me what you have. ...
Then I guess that brings up the M2C.....really what is the need or point of 40HP more that you can really only brag about with other members of this forum. You will never fully use it on public roads....
Yes hard to beat small light cars. I know what you mean. Speed isn't everything. Guys will give up a manual for .1 seconds 0-60 and more weight and complexity. I used to have a mark 1 gti. 0-60 in about 10 seconds yet a blast to toss around. I had a scirocco s that was the same. Even my 1993 Sentra SER which was more grown up was still light and small. I totally get it. People forget that fun at normals speeds where we spend 95% of the time is the goal not the 5%
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #42
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I simply will not buy a car without being granted a test drive at some point. I mean it's a bmw, not a Ferrari.
I was considering a Cayman, and rented one from Turo for two days. Loved the car, but found it a hassle to get into and out of, there were two blind spots that really bothered me, and it (obviously) lacked back seats.

After two days, I decided to see what else was out there.

Several weeks later, I rented a brand new M2 (had only 1100 miles on it) for two days. Within about four hours of renting it, I drove over to my BMW dealership, and placed my order for one.

I was able to order an M2 with no money down, and my salesman told me that I could always change my mind, up until it was delivered, as they could always find a buyer for it, so there was still no pressure, even after I custom ordered the M2.

For now on, I'll always try to rent a car from Turo for a day or two before buying it. Honestly, you don't find out a cars quirks or minor annoyances, or strengths for that matter, in a 15 or 30 minute test drive
True, but a test drive is better than nothing. I've found that a test drive is plenty of time to reveal if a car is a very good or bad fit. For everything in between there are subsequent test drives to revisit aspects of the car I felt less certain about.

Turo is a great idea though if someone in your general vicinity has what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #43
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Just wow
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #44
ORIGIN M.