Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

M2 Hood Dimensions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
hey guys

anyone know the hood dimension for the m2? trying to get some ppt to attempt on my own and wanted to make sure i get a roll that is big enough for the hood

cheers
      03-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Well if you want to cover the full hood you will need the 60" wide roll. If you want want to do just the hood, get 60"x60" to be safe. You will likely have some extras that you can do small stuff like the side gills with if you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
hey guys

anyone know the hood dimension for the m2? trying to get some ppt to attempt on my own and wanted to make sure i get a roll that is big enough for the hood

cheers
I assume you mean PPF rather than ppt, but in any case, I did the hood of my car myself, along with the front fenders, rocker panels, partial rear bumper and extended rear fender area.

I did get the front bumper custom installed professionally, and I am glad I did. I had to have it re-done once because the first install wasn't done well. It's also pretty complicated. They threw in headlights and door mirrors as well, though I'd have done those myself if they hadn't.

I'd recommend a few things if you've not done so before...

Make sure your work area is clean... even a single bit of dust under the film can be very frustrating... I have a couple of bits on mine, and I have to live with that now, assuming I don't want to the affected panel again.

Make sure you have the right slip solution ratio. I had heard from a number of people, including the supplier I got the film from, to use a trigger spray bottle with a couple of drops of baby shampoo in it. A couple of drops to me means just that... drops, or drips. I found it was much better if I had a couple of blobs, perhaps 4ml in total in the trigger sprayer. With less than this, the film grabs very quickly, and you get marks if you pull it off to re-position it.

I'd also recommend, if you can, to go with pre-cut pieces, extended to wrap around edges where possible. The big benefits of this, are that a) you don't have to cut the film, which doesn't cut that easily, and b) the edges of the film will help you know where to line it up. Areas that need stretching will be obvious and if you're using bulk film, that might not be the case.

After you've done a panel and you're ready to wrap the edges... wait... perhaps flush the overlapping film with alcohol, but make sure it's totally dry before you wrap it round. If you don't do this, you tend to find that you get bubbles on the edges where water couldn't get out.

Once you're done, don't worry about a small number of patches of excess slip solution or a few bubbles. Most of this will disappear in a few days / weeks on its own. If you really want to get rid of bubbles quickly, try to get hold of a medical syringe tip. You only need the tip, but it will make such a small hole, that you'll be able to push out the air and the film will 'heal' around the hole. In an hour or so it will be invisible!

And now to answer your original questions... 5' x 6' will be enough for the M2 hood, but I'd recommend getting a pre-cut piece modified for edge wrapping.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
Who?484.50