BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 320 vs M. Or is it ‘and’ ?

06-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

320 vs M. Or is it ‘and’ ?

Driving the G30 540i, I wondered if I would have refrained from making the jump when I test drove a 535i two years ago. The lease on my 320i was up and I was offered 12k off a fully kitted car. I had the F90 as a loaner twice before (10 days in all) and even though it was my dream car when announced (I still consider it to be one of the most handsome BMWs today and prefer the exterior to the G30), I just could never connect with it. I thought it was the Xdrive but still didn’t connect with the i. The one thing I absolutely loved was the engine sound on throttle (beautiful and better than the G30 which is way too insulated), but it was not nearly as engaging as my F30. The new 5 drives much better, feels lighter and smaller at speed, and has a nicer interior. If only it looked less boring on the outside. And why did BM have to restrict the extra crease lines on the hood to the M5? Anyhow, I digress.
I purchased my 320i sports package lease cos even though it sucked taking off from red lights, configured right (6MT, sport package, summer tires) - it’s a contender for best daily driver today. A great suspension (704m), m steering and great seats, functional dash and almost 30 mpg combined. For around 35G. Five years on and I still take the long road home and get up on Saturday for some spirited dawn driving. It’s also been exceptionally reliable.
As a result I decided to stick to this platform and had an F80 or 440i GC in my replacement sights. But the GC didn’t come in manual (major problem) and I didn’t like the cold start sound of the F80. There was also one more problem – I really wanted my next BM to be the ‘special’ (purchased new) that I could keep forever (think along the lines of E39, E46m3, 850csi) as part of a collection, and I didn’t feel either was special enough. For that, all the reviewers (and more than one respectable BMW salesman I spoke with) seemed to point at the M2. But I sat in a pre LCI once and felt it was blah. So I continued making ED plans for a 440 or M3 (but kept watching every single M2 review I could find).
Then two things happened. First, BMW announced the M2 competition with the S55, and eop for the current M2 this month. Which got me thinking mmmmhhh maybe the N55 M2 just got more attractive being a 2 year run and all. Then second, I was driving past my BM dealership one night, decided to take a look, and behold - an LBB M2 in all its glory! With a stick shift! The story’s getting long so I’ll cut it short – I went in the next day and bought it. No test drive. The moment the ignition was started to prepare it for my drive off, I was certain I had made the right choice. Two months and break in period over, I’m even more certain. It’s hard to describe the M2 in stats. It’s about the way it all comes together and feels – power, chassis, brakes, sounds. My son said it feels like a steel billet with cut outs for seats (we haven't ridden been in may sports cars). I don’t mind the engine sound in the 320 – its great background for music and I never try listening for it anyway, but in the M2, I have to put the music at the lowest volume (if at all) cos I just can’t get enough of the music the engine makes. Different notes in different gears, at different rpms, at different speeds. It’s all together quite intoxicating.
I’m also convinced I made the right change of plans. Now I intend to keep the 320, add a Miata club to the M2, and hold on to both forever. The F30 is an excellent work horse that’ll help preserve the others and will be a great intro to manual for my kids. And there’s my collection starting right there. I thought it was going to be a 320 or an M but it’s turned out to be a 320 ‘and’ M2. And both are great in their own ways.
Appreciate 3
akkando5860.00
AngryBaby344.50
Spare°257.50
      06-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

[IMG]http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-con...speechless.gif[/IMG]
Appreciate 3
Rupes1053.50
doug_9992538.50
      06-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Very hard to read at times. But congrats on your purchase
      06-20-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post
in the M2, I have to put the music at the lowest volume (if at all) cos I just can’t get enough of the music the engine makes. Different notes in different gears, at different rpms, at different speeds. It’s all together quite intoxicating.
See if you can find someone to code off the ASD. You'll be surprised at how much of what you think is the engine, is actually the speakers.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post
in the M2, I have to put the music at the lowest volume (if at all) cos I just can’t get enough of the music the engine makes. Different notes in different gears, at different rpms, at different speeds. It’s all together quite intoxicating.
See if you can find someone to code off the ASD. You'll be surprised at how much of what you think is the engine, is actually the speakers.
And then install an HJS 200 (or 300) cell downpipe and look forward to the days when you can roll down your windows and keep that radio off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Will def look into both (ASD & Downpipe).
Thanks!

Lol at 'keep that radio off'.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Congrats, i came over from a f30 328i, great cars
Appreciate 0