03-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #45
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Lmao ya'll are some savages against Lancaster here.

I lived for many years in a suburb of Detroit, trust me you don't want to even visit the city let alone live in it.
I love Detroit and will always call it home. Theres good and bad everywhere, but Detroit is a great place to live and if thats not your taste the burbs arent far.

Lancaster is nice but theres nothing to do. Would rather live in Philly and make a long ass drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #46
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
LOL, but I have never seen that setup in a public restroom, thankfully.
      03-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #47
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Big difference between three months, six months and permanently...
Not really, its pretty much the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #48
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #49
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
You're right. It's exactly the same. Who needs visas!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #50
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Yes! I have been reading on the US a lot lately and this is one of the first things that came up. Here in the Netherlands you don’t tip unless service was really, really good. Otherwise you just pay what they charge you. I really hope I’m not going to offend someone over this. I’m rather confused over who I should tip and who I shouldn’t. You tip the waitress at a restaurant, but the guy that fills up your gas tank gets de nada? This is so not going to end well
Only two states In the US pump your gas for you; Oregon and New Jersey. Everywhere else you pump your own gas, so no worry about tipping people at the gas station.

ALWAYS tip your waiter/waitress and bartenders, cab drivers, etc unless horrible/bad service.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #51
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Tip should be 15% for average service, 20% for superior. Under 15% for bad. Your discretion. Buck tip for a drink, couple bucks to $5 for hotel service like valet parking, room service, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #52
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
This might just be me, but I'd take Detroit over Lancaster.
Lancaster seems pretty reasonable compared to Detroit from what I've seen so far. Still, I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental as I haven't seen either cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
For mid 40s you can get an m5. You may want an suv over here so you can carry more stuff, snow, and do some light off road site seeing. 235 is fine but small for road trips. We have big expansive highways and bigger is more comfortable. And you will have snow for a couple months if you make it to winter.
I feel an M5 doesn't really suit me. I feel as if I should be a bit older to own an M5. Besides, I don't think I will be carrying much stuff around. Single, young, don't need much anyways. I would prefer AWD as I've already seen the weather can get really shitty in PA...

Quote:
For mid 40s you can get a used 2013 m5. You may want an suv over here so you can carry more stuff, snow, and do some light off road site seeing. 235 is fine but small for road trips. We have big expansive highways and bigger is more comfortable. And you will have snow for a couple months if you make it to winter. Remember, bottled water costs about the same as gas. $2.15/US gallon. I'm getting a 2014 m5 for my daily driver.
It could be $5/USGal for all I care, that's still significantly cheaper than what it is over here, damn! Gas prices over here for el-cheapo AKI91 is like $6/USGal.

Quote:
Lmao ya'll are some savages against Lancaster here.

I lived for many years in a suburb of Detroit, trust me you don't want to even visit the city let alone live in it.
As I said earlier, my idea as well, but I've visited neither :P

Quote:
Also OP, please become an Eagles fan so we can make fun of you forever and ever.

Signed,
- A Lions fan
I'm kind of partial to eagles y'know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkan_340i View Post
Welcome!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I'm sorry.
I'm sure I'll live

Quote:
I'd rather deal with Amish people than Eagles fans.
Haha, you people are impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
lol It's just very rural and boring. Occasional massive pile of horse shit in the middle of the road. Like previously mentioned it really is like stepping back in time.... not like heading to the historic parts of your town in Europe. Some of the roads have some serious blind turns and hills. I've heard stories of people driving too fast coming over a blind hill and slamming into a tractor or farm equipment. So just be cautious of that when you're out for a brisk countryside drive.

Have you made your way out there yet to even check it out? I'd suggest doing that before making a decision.

One of those family style dine in restaurants that is good and contributes to the growing obesity problem in America is: http://www.goodnplenty.com/ I thought it was pretty damn good lol

Cant speak for any bars and night life there but I'm sure there is basically none.
Rural? Boring? Horse shit on the road? Sounds like my home "town" (more like village, ~5500 inhabitants).

Descision has been made already, I'm going there. Still, I have to look for housing so I may not end up in Lancaster. I would like to stay close to Lancaster though as the office is located there. I'll probably have to buy a car (looking at something below the $5k mark like a 4th gen Mustang).

Yeah, that's one thing I'm looking forward to. Good food. Can't be worse than what we have over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
There's lots of things that are awesome about America, the midwest just isn't one of them. We have all the worst things America has to offer and none of the best. The winters are bitter cold but with very little snow and nothing even resembling a decent ski resort. The summers are unbearably hot and the humidity is between 90%-100% at all times, but we're landlocked = no beaches. Most of the women are fat, most of the men are alcoholics (because there's literally nothing else to do). Don't even get me started on the heroin epidemic, and weed is still illegal (at least here in Ohio).
Sorry you feel that way. I'll be sure to avoid the fat women and heroine junkies. I don't really mind weed being illegal. I don't do drugs anyways (yes, not every Dutch person is pothead )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I love Detroit and will always call it home. Theres good and bad everywhere, but Detroit is a great place to live and if thats not your taste the burbs arent far.

Lancaster is nice but theres nothing to do. Would rather live in Philly and make a long ass drive.
A very down-to-earth response. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You're right. It's exactly the same. Who needs visas!!!
Oh dear god

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Only two states In the US pump your gas for you; Oregon and New Jersey. Everywhere else you pump your own gas, so no worry about tipping people at the gas station.

ALWAYS tip your waiter/waitress and bartenders, cab drivers, etc unless horrible/bad service.
Thanks, sounds good!

Quote:
Tip should be 15% for average service, 20% for superior. Under 15% for bad. Your discretion. Buck tip for a drink, couple bucks to $5 for hotel service like valet parking, room service, etc.
Thanks. I read something like this.
10% = I don't even...
15% =
20% =

---

In any case, thank you all for your insightful replies. Waiting for the whole visa thing to be approved.

I have a place to stay in the US in Lancaster and will have to find my own place once I get there. Will probably have to get a car at some point and a US driver's licence if my stay will be longer than 3 months (which is very likely).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #53
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m

Still overthere? Then don't forget to take a picture on 'Breda Dr' in Lancaster
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #54
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

How many euros does it cost to go #2 !

And traffic jams in BIG cities, . . . you ain't seen nothin yet !

Trains . . . very, very few, we are many euros behind.

Do some traveling while here, plenty to see !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #55
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

We have air conditioning, ice cubes and baby wipes. Sorry, no bidets.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #56
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
I'd rather deal with Amish people than Eagles fans.
Hey, I'm an Amish Eagles fan!
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #57
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Is it to late to say dont do it? I am from PA, grew up in York. Parents live in Lancaster. I moved away 17 years ago and never go back. Lived in Europe for a bunch of years, Asia for some, and around the US. Do not move to Lancaster!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #58
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I actually know lots of people that would love to move the fuck out of USA....and we live in Boston. Watch "Where to Invade Next"

Every time we travel to EU it's like Haven...Italy, France.... Switzerland, lakes, sea, Alps....just amazing. Food is light years ahead in EU....it's not even close. Roads are complete disaster here too. Last time we went to Italy, food at resorts was about 50% cheaper then upscale Boston restaurants with shitty food.

And don't get me started on current real estate (at least in Boston). I could buy a villa with many acres of land in some other state for the same price as my condo
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #59
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Hi guys,

It looks like I will be moving to the US for at least 3 months, possibly 6 months or even permanently. I've been doing some reading and I've noticed there are a lot of differences between Europe and the US. Silly things such as your public bathroom stalls offering less privacy than your average European one

I am really looking forward to it and was hoping to get some tips/hints from some Americans here!

I'll be staying at or around Lancaster, PA.
I lived and worked in Den Haag for a while and honestly, not a ton of big differences.

1. Public transport sucks here - you'll most likely want a car or some service like zipcar so you can rent them easily.
2. Tip your wait staff - generally nets about even or still cheaper in US even with 20% tip from my experience
3. Coffee shop refers to a place that sells coffee
4. We have better stores/shopping IMO.
5. That is about it... Not really a big culture shock either way from my experience.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 08-10-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #60
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I actually know lots of people that would love to move the fuck out of USA....and we live in Boston. Watch "Where to Invade Next"

Every time we travel to EU it's like Haven...Italy, France.... Switzerland, lakes, sea, Alps....just amazing. Food is light years ahead in EU....it's not even close. Roads are complete disaster here too. Last time we went to Italy, food at resorts was about 50% cheaper then upscale Boston restaurants with shitty food.

And don't get me started on current real estate (at least in Boston). I could buy a villa with many acres of land in some other state for the same price as my condo
You could also buy a villa with many acres in middle America. Just because you chose to live in an expensive place doesn't mean the rest of the US is like that.

We aren't detaining anyone trying to leave so all these people you know are free to go anytime they want!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410951.50
      08-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #61
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Still overthere? Then don't forget to take a picture on 'Breda Dr' in Lancaster
First, please allow me to apologize for the lack of replies in this thread. My life has been hectic over the past few months.

I visited the US in May for two weeks. Most of my time was spent in Lancaster, PA, but I also spent a few days in St. Charles, MO. I can genuinely say that my first US experience has been a very positive one.

I’m currently in the Netherlands, but I expect I will be going back to the US for at least 6 months somewhere in September. The company I work for has businesses in over 40 countries. Just over 40 businesses are in the US, so it’s likely I will be travelling all the way from the east coast to the sunny beaches of California on a regular basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
How many euros does it cost to go #2 !

And traffic jams in BIG cities, . . . you ain't seen nothin yet !

Trains . . . very, very few, we are many euros behind.

Do some traveling while here, plenty to see !
As far as I’m aware, no distinction is made between a #1 or #2. :P Having said that, it probably ranges from €0.10 - €0.50. Some places may even try to rip you off for €1.00, but that’s very, very rare.

Do not underestimate Dutch traffic jams :P

You may have more traffic jams (duh, your country is huge), but ours are just as bad :P

Yes, we may have you on public transportation, but I think it’s a fairly safe assumption that most people over here avoid it if they can as well. In certain scenarios it’s much better, but for some cases it’s a complete disaster as well. I do understand where you’re coming from though. We have a major advantage of being so densely populated.

Oh, yes! I’m looking forward to exploring the US during the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
We have air conditioning, ice cubes and baby wipes. Sorry, no bidets.
What’s a bidet? We wash our premium privates with pressure washers over here, didn’t anybody tell you? Joking aside, I do miss the AC. My previous home had AC, but my current one doesn’t (it’s rare here anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Is it to late to say dont do it? I am from PA, grew up in York. Parents live in Lancaster. I moved away 17 years ago and never go back. Lived in Europe for a bunch of years, Asia for some, and around the US. Do not move to Lancaster!
Honestly, I think I could do far worse than Lancaster. Besides, as I pointed out earlier, Lancaster is the main base of operations. I’ll mostly spend my time there, but I’m expected to visit businesses across the US.

I don’t really get the hate against Lancaster. The city of Breda is a better place to be in. We have good festivals, good bars and good clubs over here, but is Lancaster really that bad? I’m really not sure where this is coming from.

Quote:

The grass is always greener on the other side Thanks for the tip though, I’ll be sure to watch it before my next trip to the US.

I partially understand where you’re coming from. The cuisine in Switzerland and France, for example, may be better than US cuisine, but I doubt one can say the same for Dutch cuisine. It’s, IMHO, not that good. I preferred American cuisine.

In terms of roads I fully agree. US roads have nothing on German and Dutch roads. But you should put things into perspective. I pay nearly €750/yr in road tax for my M235i. My parents used to own an MB E320 CDI, do you know how much road tax they paid per year? Over €1,750! Let’s not forget the infamous “BPM” tax you have to pay when you’re buying a new vehicle here. Want to know why no one drives a manual M235i in the Netherlands? That’s because it’s almost €7,000 more expensive than an automatic due to emissions (consider that an auto M235i is about €72,000 new over here because of the “BPM” tax…). We better have better fucking roads than you do, because we pay a shit ton amount of taxes here! And you know what? Most of that money isn’t even spent on roads, it’s spent on other stuff! You were saying the grass is greener on the other side?

I can’t speak for other European countries (Southern European countries are undoubtably much cheaper), but the same pretty much applies to real estate, albeit indirectly. I want you to take a look at this table I got directly from our government:

Schijf = Box
Belastbaar inkomen = Taxable income
Percentage = Percentage

If you want something decent in Amsterdam, it’s going to cost you at least €400000. Yeah, sorry, I’ll go live in rural small-town America with $150000 and say “fuck you” to the Dutch government.

Now, I will admit though that real estate prices in the US have gone through the roof in some of the larger cities. I spent most of my time in the US at my manager’s house (which was really, really large) and I recall watching a television show of people looking for a place to live in different places. Some dude was looking for an apartment in Manhattan and was willing to pay over $850k for some, small shitty apartment. Yeah, I’d be very much like “fuck that”, I’ll just move to the suburbs and commute or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I lived and worked in Den Haag for a while and honestly, not a ton of big differences.

1. Public transport sucks here - you'll most likely want a car or some service like zipcar so you can rent them easily.
2. Tip your wait staff - generally nets about even or still cheaper in US even with 20% tip from my experience
3. Coffee shop refers to a place that sells coffee
4. We have better stores/shopping IMO.
5. That is about it... Not really a big culture shock either way from my experience.
Having been to the US, I’ve noticed it’s the small things that are different. I was in a casino at one point and I was finished with my beer. I just placed it on a random table. My boss gave me this really strange look. He was like “Wtf do you think you’re doing? That’s RUDE!”. And I was like “Uhh… What’s the big deal? Staff will just pick up this bottle and take care of it”. It turns out that this was pretty rude as I apparently considered cleaning up after myself beneath me. No, that’s not it at all. In Dutch casino’s you place your empty bottle on a table, staff takes care of it and that’s the end of the story.

He laughed his ass off when I gave him the strangest look when he told me to just ditch the bottle in a bin. I was like “Wut? You’re throwing GLASS in a recycle bin? Aren’t your supposed to recycle this?”. He explained to me that some people do it, others don’t, but in a public place you’re expected to clean up after yourself and just throw it away. Something as trivial as this had my mind blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You could also buy a villa with many acres in middle America. Just because you chose to live in an expensive place doesn't mean the rest of the US is like that.

We aren't detaining anyone trying to leave so all these people you know are free to go anytime they want!
This was kind of my point. Not everybody has this luxury. Heck, over 60% of the Dutch population lives in a single-family house like this:

These are just example of course.

I live in a “detached house”, but I’m a minority here. Examples:

In any case, I'm looking forward to actually living in the US for an extended period of time

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #62
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm more of a big city type of person. there is FAR worse areas than lancaster. I just personally have no desire to live there. i visited back there for the first time in 5 years, just yesterday. It is beautiful, but that is about it. Other places I have lived in the US include virginia Beach area and Las vegas. Plus lived in big cities across Europe and Asia. I live in middle of no where North Caroilina now (just got here about 3 months ago). I am ready to move back to Vegas!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #63
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You mind sharing what company? Just curious. You can PM if you do not want to post it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #64
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

Congrats. You'll find some models not available in Europe..
Attached Images

08-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #65
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

The grass is always greener on the other side.....yeah I guess this is 100% true. I don't know the details about taxes etc in EU....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #66
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
I'm more of a big city type of person. there is FAR worse areas than lancaster. I just personally have no desire to live there. i visited back there for the first time in 5 years, just yesterday. It is beautiful, but that is about it. Other places I have lived in the US include virginia Beach area and Las vegas. Plus lived in big cities across Europe and Asia. I live in middle of no where North Caroilina now (just got here about 3 months ago). I am ready to move back to Vegas!
Ah, yeah, OK. Makes sense in that case. You move around a lot :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRider View Post
Congrats. You'll find some models not available in Europe..
Haven't run into those yet, did see some traditional Amish transportation, but nothing that fucked up

I will have to get myself a car once I go the US, the BMW is staying home.

Quote:
The grass is always greener on the other side.....yeah I guess this is 100% true. I don't know the details about taxes etc in EU....

Appreciate 0