BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 Alignment Issues

03-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing Special

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
M2 Alignment Issues

I know this has been covered before in other BMW threads but I wanted to get opinions from M2 owners. My vehicle has pulled to the right from day 1, doesn't matter how straight the road is and tire pressure is perfect. Is this a common problem and what is your experience with the dealership in rectifying the situation under warranty?

Last edited by MSULLY; 03-05-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Something is obviously "out". Depending upon how long you have had it, it may have tapped a curb, as such...or someone did in transferring car in shipping.

Might be worth having a "first opinion" from an independent shop for a "check".

THEN back to dealer for their inspect and correction and warranty? They might balk, claiming you curbed it somehow. If you are catching very soon after purchase, they should stand behind the adjustments.
No problem with mine on this--but it would be certainly unnerving. The above would be what I would do; but I have a greaaat dealer who will fix it without question.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for you feedback zkeeper, I've only driven it 1000 miles in 6 months, never curb checked nor has it been abused in any manor. It doesn't pull in extreme but definitely noticeable, my question is our people experiencing the same thing with there new vehicle? Did the dealership check the alignment and or adjust it under warranty after concern. I go for my first service in 2 weeks I guess I'll find out, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
When you have someone take a look at it keep in mind that front caster and camber are not adjustable on the M2. Only thing that can be adjusted in front is the Toe.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Interesting fact, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I wonder if this has somthing to do with it, I thought it was only a rumor.

Caster is a bit harder to conceptualize, but it’s defined as the angle created by the steerings pivot point from the front to back of the vehicle. Caster is positive if the line is angled forward, and negative if backward.

Typically, positive caster will make the vehicle more stable at high speeds, and will increase tire lean when cornering. This can also increase steering effort as well.

Most road vehicles have what is called cross-caster. Cross castered vehicles have slightly different caster and camber, which cause it to drift slightly to the right while rolling. This is a safety feature so that un-manned vehicles or drivers who lose steering control will drift toward the side of the road instead of into oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Mine definitely pulls to the right. I have 1700 miles. I was partially blaming the responsive suspension + tires, but the more I drive it the more I think it's just out. It never drives straight no matter what road I find. I won't be bothering with the dealership and will just take it to a reputable independent shop I frequently use.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks blefevre, I knew it wasn't just me. For now I'll try my luck at the dealership next weekend. I plain on getting a quote from Fabspeed for MPS or Eibach spring installation & alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Mine goes straight as an arrow.
      03-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
MDriven
2017 M2, BSM, 6MT, Exec Package
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, F82 M4CS, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSULLY View Post
I know this has been covered before in other BMW threads but I wanted to get opinions from M2 owners. My vehicle has pulled to the right from day 1, doesn't matter how straight the road is and tire pressure is perfect. Is this a common problem and what is your experience with the dealership in rectifying the situation under warranty?
Mine pulls to the right as well and I had noticed it from Day 1 picking up the car. I chose to ignore it thinking it was just me. More I drove the car I noticed it and didn't feel right. My car has approx. 900 miles and taking it in for service this week. Going to mention it, hopefully they can resolve the problem or else going to take it to a reputable shop..
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
900 miles... no issues here. I had my MY17 aligned and corner balanced recently since I had MP Coilovers installed a week ago.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Please let me know how you make out at the dealership. As another member mention, the front caster and camber are not adjustable on the M2 only Front Toe. I'm curious if it would help, IMO I would say not much. Might be a safety thing after all, anyone from across the pond notice it pulling left? * Right Hand Drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
MDriven
2017 M2, BSM, 6MT, Exec Package
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, F82 M4CS, E92 M3

Dealer thought nothing was wrong with it.. Possibly getting a new suspension installed next month. Maybe when it is installed and I get the car aligned it could be better. Will keep updating you if I find out or see any change.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Picked up my M2 on 03/11, over 800 miles so far. I could tell there was a very slight pull to the right on straight smooth roads pretty much right away. This past weekend I was out for a county buzz breaking the car in, feeling things out. I spent time on the left side of a two lane road - on the other side of the crown. Turns out it pulls slightly to the left when you are on "the other side of the crown", seems to be about equal. Find a road where you can test the same.

I highly doubt one tire (ie Conti to PSS) does this more over the other. I would image it would be pretty much the same. Basically, the car wants to move down hill (to the right) of the slight camber in the road. Just my thoughts...
MSULLY25.00
      03-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

I'm wondering if the factory alignment specs alittle toe out. I'm have found that even a small toe out makes a car alittle "darty" and have a tendency to flow the slope of a crowned road even with perceived zero steering input.

I must point out that even the driver perceived "flattest" public road have a crown for water drainage.
MSULLY25.00
      03-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #16
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

A dealer is not going to align a car very well, The factory specs are very broad in toe so if you notice you need to get someone to allign it closer then spec, for me no more than 1/32 diff on any point. You may also be following the crown of the road, you could add some toe in the front and that would help but would reduce performance.

The suspension geometry in the rear is very complex, and toe in or out in the rear can cause the pull, so can toe in the front, but that is pretty easy to adjust, the rear, needs to be adjusted and settled, and then rechecked.

This should take 2 hours for a good alignment shop because it needs to settle, and then go back on the rack. Then when done, driven and back on the rack. I would look for a race or performance shop to do it, I gave up in my area and bought the equipment to do it myself.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #17
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for all the insight and suggestions everyone. The last comment from Pparana is very valid point. There's a good chance that the dealer could make it worse due to the loose specks from BMW considering it to be truly aligned. It does indeed seem to warrant a professional alignment IMO now. Money out of my pocket I dont want to spend, nor should I have to.

I was considering the Eibach springs & realignment down the road (HATE the front wheel gap) but I wanted to really enjoy/drive this one before dumping in more $. My 4K cosmetic/protection job is still leaving me with a sore butt. If the problem persists to get worse I'll take her into the dealer under warranty and share my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #18
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

If they use the New BMW alignment equipment it is some of the best out there if it was calibrated and leveled when it was installed. I only have my dealer do my alignments and they set it to what I want. Alignment is somewhat of art and I use to do it but if to alignments all day when your a tech and you care about how the drives you can't make a living. The specs are not that loose and 5% of the time a consistent pull is from a tire and would drive me up a wall.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
slick///m2
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 AW DCT

Mine drifts to the right too. After I installed the eibach pro kit and turner spacers I wanted to test the alignment again since the shop did an alignment after they installed the parts and it still drifted to the right. I drove the wife's 2016 X1 and it also pulls to the right. That's when I came to the conclusion that it might be the way it was designed for safety reason as stated before.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #20
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

If you search my other posts you will see that I had a shop check the alignment on my 2 week old car and it was not within factory specs....had to align it correctly and it drove a hell of a lot better.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #21
coaxial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: On Order 2017 LBB M2

About 7300 miles on mine. This may be something I obsessively check while driving. If I check and the car does pull in a particular direction it's the road (love California freeways in la). On smooth roads it's a s straight as an arrow, with no directional curiosities.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #22
matt123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSULLY View Post
If the vehicle pulls to the right on all roads and you have to put just a little bit of left wheel in all the time, that is not right.
Wheel alignment is covered up to the first 2,000 miles on the vehicle. I would press the dealer to get this fixed before you do any modification. It seems like this is becoming more of a problem. There is also a thread on the f80/f82 forum about pulling to the right issues. If the alignment specs are good and it still pulls to the right, it could be another issue causing the pull, electric power steering rack, Front struts, or other suspension components. I would hesitate to have the dealer adjust the front camber with new swivel bearings, it may fix the pull but then the alignment might be out. The more people that complain about the pulling to the right issue, the more BMW NA will be willing to look into the big issue.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00