BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Water Meth Injection setups

03-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Water Meth Injection setups

Hey everyone,

I just put together a kit that will be here next week. Has anyone else integrated water/meth in their M2?

I'm using it for 90% IAT cooling and 10% fueling as 100-110 octane never hurts, especially with our junk HPFP.

Would love to see some setups!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
What setup you're going with ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3

Cant say im a fan of the BMS system...simple yes, the best choice, no
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbrick View Post
Cant say im a fan of the BMS system...simple yes, the best choice, no
What don't you like from experience? I guess the good thing about meth is that it's easy to customize and go any route you like.

FSB problems? Or the hardware itself?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep

specifically the controller. I love the tank and especially the new stealth tank, but for controllers there are better. There are many plus sides to the kit though, particularly JB4 integration. But Ive never been a fan of plug and play tuning either and will never buy a JB4 so another reason I'll never own the BMS kit.

You'd do better IMHO opinion with just the tank and getting everything else from Snow or Devil's Own.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
specifically the controller. I love the tank and especially the new stealth tank, but for controllers there are better. There are many plus sides to the kit though, particularly JB4 integration. But Ive never been a fan of plug and play tuning either and will never buy a JB4 so another reason I'll never own the BMS kit.

You'd do better IMHO opinion with just the tank and getting everything else from Snow or Devil's Own.

My 2 cents
Thanks man,

I'll be running JB4 over bootmod when some solid backend flashes are tested. As far as the meth kit I'm going all Devils Own 4-An stainless as I don't like push to connect from DO or Snow.

For now since I have JB4 I'll run their FSB since a AEM like FSB without integration only gives you a light failsafe. Overall I think all these meth kits could use some 2017 tech, I like the idea of direct port from fuel it and a pre IAT nozzle.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:

My 2 cents
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Thanks man,

I'll be running JB4 over bootmod when some solid backend flashes are tested. As far as the meth kit I'm going all Devils Own 4-An stainless as I don't like push to connect from DO or Snow.

For now since I have JB4 I'll run their FSB since a AEM like FSB without integration only gives you a light failsafe. Overall I think all these meth kits could use some 2017 tech, I like the idea of direct port from fuel it and a pre IAT nozzle.
MMP-E and EOS have a Direct Port too, a lot of people are avoiding the Fuel-It price tag.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath View Post
Quote:

My 2 cents
+1

Quote:
Thanks man,

MMP-E and EOS have a Direct Port too, a lot of people are avoiding the Fuel-It price tag.
Yeah agreed I was looking at those the other. Like 1/3 the price
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Stupid question,

You run this with a tune right? Will a drop in IATs by itself benefit combustion/power in a stock mapped engine?
      03-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath View Post
+1

For sure, Im avoiding anything Fuel-It. Great quality, way over priced.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
Stupid question,

You run this with a tune right? Will a drop in IATs by itself benefit combustion/power in a stock mapped engine?
You can run standalone water or meth Injection. You would want to run a 50/50 or less with a stock tune I would assume. Since there's no reason to add fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Stupid question,

A tune will take advantage of the extra cooling + octane; but its definitely used on cars just for cooling purpose.

Quote:
You can run standalone water or meth Injection. You would want to run a 50/50 or less with a stock tune I would assume. Since there's no reason to add fuel.
Some ppl I've seen on M5 running boostjuice with AEM meth kit just for cooling purpose.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Stupid question,

You dont have to have a tune but it would not be worth it my opinion to add methanol injection on a stock car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Kayblasto55
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

How did you route the line from the trunk to the engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

I basically have the same setup....except I drilled a hole on the trunk box versus cutting it in half. Perfect place for the 1 gallon tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #16
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

I'm running a JB4 just purely as a WMI controller. Flash tuned by PTF with Bootmod3 - no issues so far, runs just like it should. Currently mixing 50/50 Methanol/Water and my logs are very, very clean.

I ended up getting a 3 gallon tank from ProMeth and running a CM10 nozzle. I tried running the 1 gallon tank for a bit but unfortunately it just wasn't enough volume for the track.

Here's a picture of how I have the tank mounted. The WMI pump is located in the cubby next to the battery, fits quite nicely in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayblasto55 View Post
I ran my line through the cabin along the driver side trim against the floor. The grommet to the engine bay is just behind the drive side dash - easily accessible from the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Any adverse effects using the windshield washer reservoir tank for water/meth?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
Kayblasto55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
I'm running a JB4 just purely as a WMI controller. Flash tuned by PTF with Bootmod3 - no issues so far, runs just like it should. Currently mixing 50/50 Methanol/Water and my logs are very, very clean.

I ended up getting a 3 gallon tank from ProMeth and running a CM10 nozzle. I tried running the 1 gallon tank for a bit but unfortunately it just wasn't enough volume for the track.

Here's a picture of how I have the tank mounted. The WMI pump is located in the cubby next to the battery, fits quite nicely in there.

I ran my line through the cabin along the driver side trim against the floor. The grommet to the engine bay is just behind the drive side dash - easily accessible from the engine bay.
Thanks, Did you just drop in the WMI pump or were you able to bolt it down? and where are you pulling your power from?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Kayblasto55
Rep

Quote:
I ran mine behind the trunk plastic trim, where the lock is. Then left side through the driver rear seat bolster, under the carpet and under the lower plastic door edge trim, up and behind by the OBD2 and through a grommet you can access/drill a small hole in. It comes out behind the brake booster. Wiring followed the line. It's not as involved as it seems. Just simple trim on and off and trunk lining.

I would recommended the all in one tank if you don't want it hidden.
Thanks, I order twisted tuning direct injection and prometh 4.2 tank
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #20
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I ran mine behind the trunk plastic trim, where the lock is. Then left side through the driver rear seat bolster, under the carpet and under the lower plastic door edge trim, up and behind by the OBD2 and through a grommet you can access/drill a small hole in. It comes out behind the brake booster. Wiring followed the line. It's not as involved as it seems. Just simple trim on and off and trunk lining.

And if separated from the tank you'll want to secure the pump. The only thing wiring wise in the trunk is the pump ground. I grounded mine on the factory battery ground that sits to the right of the battery, it screws off. Power will be run through JB4 or your controller of choice if it reads voltage in the engine bay. With the JB4 Controller you'll have another ground point in the bay for the solenoid. I used the factory ground point where you would jump the car.

The IAT differences are amazing. Watching them drop. If done right even on a stock car with a small nozzle it will make more power, more consistently and safely. I'm not a fan of the maintenance, extra complexity or weight. That's the trade off.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I order twisted tuning direct injection and prometh 4.2 tank
That should be sick! You won't have to fill that for months on end, depending on flow.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #22
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Any adverse effects using the windshield washer reservoir tank for water/meth?
Downsides of the windshield washer setups are leaks and heat. People turned away from engine bay setups because there were multiple fires on the N54 and others.
Appreciate 0