BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Unnecessary new tech in cars

03-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Electronic parking brakes are a deal breaker for me. Is a lever too complicated?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #24
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

I always look at these overly tech'd cars and wonder, will there be a classic market? I mean you still see guys in '69 Camaro's driving around. I just cant imagine that when these cars are 45 years old that they will operate... at all.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Semi autonomous cars remind me of the days I was riding cross country over obstacles at speed.

I always wanted my horse to do exactly what I asked of it. Except when I was wrong. And then I wanted it to keep both of us out of trouble.

Such horses exist, but they are few and far between.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #26
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'll drive my own car for as long as I'm alive thank you very much.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #27
TJS3.0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i with M pakcage

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
So, I test drove a 5 series and tried the gesture control. Whilst it's nice, and worked as advertised, it struck me as a technology that is really not necessary. I mean, how difficult is it to, say, adjust the radio volume by turning a knob, or using the button on the steering wheel? So I want to do a survey, and asked you guys what are some of the new techs in modern cars now that is really not necessary? Bearing in mind that all these options add weight, wether its extra cameras or motors for power steering column etc. And we all know how weight affect performance. Let's make a list. This is my list of nice stuff that I can do without, save some weight and money.
1) gesture control
2) foot activated trunk open
3) power steering column (manual is cheaper and lighter)
4) adaptive cruise control
5) air conditioned seats (maybe because I'm Canadian?)
I have to say, addaptive cruise control and foot activated trunk open are pretty cool. i can live without the rest.
i hate wood in cars, or fancy leather in place you are not going to rest on or touch... like top of the dashboard, that to me is a big waste i can live without.
i also believe that manufactures should be able to sell you a non street legal version of their cars where you can have it as stripper down as you want. i wouldve loved to pay for a 135 with just a steering wheel, 2 recaros, and no insulation. its the perfect track car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS3.0 View Post
i also believe that manufactures should be able to sell you a non street legal version of their cars where you can have it as stripper down as you want. i wouldve loved to pay for a 135 with just a steering wheel, 2 recaros, and no insulation. its the perfect track car.
Sadly since you're talking a mainstream manufacturer not a specialized track day producer, that's never going to happen. Porsche is the closest where you can regularly get "stripper" versions, but for BMW no way. Porsche doesn't even do what you're describing. The margin just isn't there, they'd lose $ on every one they sold unless they charged an insane amount. They can't build cars that I am guessing would be less than 0.01% of their volume worldwide. Just can't do it, not set up to.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #29
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Well the stuff you guys mentioned already is nuthin compared to the emperor tech of them all soon to be:
autonomous driving software

..already wrecking havoc in its limited appearances on the streets
#1 drivers not really driving
#2 software not really driving either lol

I happen to not trust software.. sorry. I happen to know there is no real AI.. its all rules-based. Rules can be broken.. reality is non-linear.. the unexpected can happen (Murphy's LAW) and I'd trust a dog's intelligence to properly adjust than modern software.. sorry if this is a jack
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder
Well the stuff you guys mentioned already is nuthin compared to the emperor tech of them all soon to be:
autonomous driving software

..already wrecking havoc in its limited appearances on the streets
#1 drivers not really driving
#2 software not really driving either lol

I happen to not trust software.. sorry. I happen to know there is no real AI.. its all rules-based. Rules can be broken.. reality is non-linear.. the unexpected can happen (Murphy's LAW) and I'd trust a dog's intelligence to properly adjust than modern software.. sorry if this is a jack
I agree with most of that - I really see the short to medium term benefit (5-10 years) not in the car driving for you but in the car taking over if something bad is about to happen. Yes what you're describing could still be an issue but in the vast majority of use cases it will drastically improve safety. For every instance like you're describing where autonomy would increase risk and damage/injury, I'd have to believe there are thousands if not tens of thousands where it would help. I'm talking things like drivers not paying attention and rear ending people, falling asleep at the wheel, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #31
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I agree with most of that - I really see the short to medium term benefit (5-10 years) not in the car driving for you but in the car taking over if something bad is about to happen. Yes what you're describing could still be an issue but in the vast majority of use cases it will drastically improve safety. For every instance like you're describing where autonomy would increase risk and damage/injury, I'd have to believe there are thousands if not tens of thousands where it would help. I'm talking things like drivers not paying attention and rear ending people, falling asleep at the wheel, etc.
I'd generally agree if its an override it would be a safetynet except I argue this tech makes people lazy and at worse passive drivers and thats just not safe overall for all of us
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #32
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

I'm surprised at the reaction over ACC. I really love the feature and don't want a car without it now. I used it on a long trip once and I felt so much less fatigued after the trip because I didn't have to pay as much attention in heavier traffic on the highway. There are definitely issues where it could be smoothed out more, but in general its a good system.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #33
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I'd generally agree if its an override it would be a safetynet except I argue this tech makes people lazy and at worse passive drivers and thats just not safe overall for all of us
You think people are bad drivers now......wait until they've been using auto pilot 95% of the time for 5 years and then choose to drive for themselves that 5% of the time
Appreciate 2
NickyC17357.50
      03-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
You think people are bad drivers now......wait until they've been using auto pilot 95% of the time for 5 years and then choose to drive for themselves that 5% of the time
I think the safety net is where it's at. Look even the most attentive drivers can get distracted. I was driving downtown and next to me there was a 911 Turbo just parked wrapped in the most hideous vinyl I have ever seen. Think about that speckled cheap formica stuff used for kitchen counters. It looked like that but worse. And there was a ho ho with a very short skirt, no underwear, climbing out of it. So yes, I am a very good (borderline excellent) safe driver 99% of the time. But I got distracted not from texting or doing something stupid but just because something completely ridiculous was happening right next to me. I would have tapped the car in front of me had the dash on the sport wagon lit up and snapped me back into focus. So yes, I don't subscribe to the drive for me theory but there is definite value in the car alerting you to things about to go wrong and ultimately taking corrective action for you. I don't even use cruise control, adaptive or old school, because I find it reduces my focus on the task at hand. So I actually do think about this stuff and take it seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #35
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
luckily these are all "options" that can be selected when ordering the car, or usually, can be turned off when it comes standard.

certain things i like, others are pointless to me. so long as I am given the OPTION of using these luxury/tech items, I won't be complaining. the moment I am left with having to use these devices without my consent/control is where I have a problem.

the one trend that i absolutely despise when it comes to automotive technology is touch-screen controls. just... no. tactile feedback is absolutely important when driving.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #36
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Cooled seats are great. The rest of your list is spot on.
All this crap just makes already bad drivers even worse & lazier.

We need to get back to the old days where you could pick individual options all day long & not have to buy a $5k package just to get 1 simple thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #37
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Turning headlights are amazing when you're driving on a backroad at night full of deer
You can just use the high beams.
      03-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Automatic self parking - takes 3X longer than just parking it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #39
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
I don't have it personally, but the foot wave one is actually pretty nice when your hands are full of bags or such.

Personally I am not a fan at all of the electro-nannies these days; adaptive cruise, blind spot detection, an lane departure warning among others... They are going too far towards not bothering to actually drive your car now.

I've seen people sitting in DC traffic reading a paper or a tablet, not even looking at the roadway and letting their car just follow traffic thanks to these systems...
I have the foot trunk opener, I think it's useful. We should have wireless car play but apple needs to allow google maps. I also think there should be an all electric F30 or G20 and G30 that can accelerate like a Tesla, or hybrid like the i8.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #40
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You can just use the high beams.
Not when other cars are coming...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #41
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
So, I test drove a 5 series and tried the gesture control. Whilst it's nice, and worked as advertised, it struck me as a technology that is really not necessary. I mean, how difficult is it to, say, adjust the radio volume by turning a knob, or using the button on the steering wheel? So I want to do a survey, and asked you guys what are some of the new techs in modern cars now that is really not necessary? Bearing in mind that all these options add weight, wether its extra cameras or motors for power steering column etc. And we all know how weight affect performance. Let's make a list. This is my list of nice stuff that I can do without, save some weight and money.
1) gesture control
2) foot activated trunk open
3) power steering column (manual is cheaper and lighter)
4) adaptive cruise control
5) air conditioned seats (maybe because I'm Canadian?)
Im happywith the electronic features in a standard 1970 chevelle. I could care less about any of it. I want power, cornering, brakes, a comfortable seat, and a trunk. 95% of the stuff in cars these days I don't use. I don't mind it there, but I never use voice activation, bluetooth, NAV etc. ever. Zero. I have a loaded mercedes GL now for over a year. I still don't know or care what half the switches do. My e93 335i I ordered new without idrive, satellite radio, headlight washers, active steering, and with a manual trans. I remover the electronic diff and added a real lsd.

That said I use my phone as my nav, have a valentine 1, and laser jammers. I do however appreciate ac seats. I live in Florida. Just as essential lol or nice to have as heated Steering wheel or seats in Canada. Moreso even as you can wear a coat or gloves in Canada to warm up, but you can't unwear stuff to cool off when its 95F.

I would like somewhere to hold my carry gun. Maybe an insert for the center console Only thing not available that I'd like to be offered as an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #42
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Automatic windshield wipers = dumb
Automatic cruise = dumb
Blind monitoring anything = dumb
Navigation = is pointless this day and age with Smart phone and handheld nav's. Especially since handheld nav's can come with free map updates.
Electric steering wheel adjustment = dumb
Auto high beams = dumb
Wifi = dumb
Electric parking brake = dumb
Rear heated/cooled seats = ....meh
Foot activated trunk = ....as long as it's optional
Tire pressure monitoring system = only good if it tells you which tire is low and not....low tire pressure.
Front left and front right camera's = good only for people who live down a driveway with a blind entrance to their house

Backup camera = I can live with and would be helpful when parking backwards
Heated/Cooled Seats = both work wonders. Now, if they could make the metal seat belt part in something that won't give you 1st degree burns would be awesome
Auto braking = is very good since people don't pay attention nowadays
Self dimming mirrors = awesome
Remote start = awesome
Headlights that turn when you turn = are great for dark roads or poorly lit areas

I'm sure there is more I'm missing but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm down for the technology to be there but as long as it's an option. Unlike the Chevrolet SS that comes STANDARD with useless technology. Take away all that tech and the car could be $5k less, at least.

When that useless tech is forced onto the consumer, then it makes them less aware of doing what you're suppose to be doing....driving and paying attention!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #43
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

You forgot electronic steering, water pump, fake exhaust noise, multizone climate control, self parking, entire drivers assist package, and electronic rear diff dumb. Homelink ok as I don't have three loose openers on my visor. HID or LED lights are good. More light the better. Auto leveling and corner turning lights dumb. Never had them help me over fixed lights but have spent a grand repairing them. Launch control would be good if there was one button marked launch control you pressed. A brake line lock the same way would be nice.
I don't mind electronics that are merely programming. When they are paired up to extra modules that cost money, add weight, and break, or they automate the driving process like electronic steering, they suck.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #44
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Why don't you guys like auto wipers? I think that's one of the best features.

Least favorite are gesture control and electronic parking brake. If it ain't broke, don't make it more complicated.
Appreciate 0