BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > My M2 with Akrapovic vs M2 with MPE

03-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #45
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

MPE for me, but both sound very good!
      03-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #46
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I can tell you that the M2 with the MPE exhaust is shear joy to my ears. Especially once you engage the secret "track/race mode" settings via BT. When I drove Artemis 's M2 his MPE sounds just right. Lots of pops and bangs/crackles. Plus the MPE is totally legal - no cat delete(s). Its the way to go if you ask me.
Agree. The MPE is free of that Akra "Titanium Tinniness" (tm).

Haven't heard either the MPE or Akra in person, but I have heard the Dinan exhaust on an M2.
Sounds good, costs less, and it's zero-bullshit like all (or most) Dinan products.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #47
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Try rolling down your window before you hit the start button.
Pretty loud stock.
Duh, that was the whole point. Its loud outside but not inside the cabin.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #48
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i was very much on the fence about the MPE.

ended up ordering the car with the MPE option. i like the deeper rumble.

didn't AKRA do the manufacturing for the MPE?
      03-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #49
OzMosis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey F80 M3

Great video. Thanks so much for posting the side by side.

I think both systems sound great and the final choice will come down to personal tastes. My buddy loves the MPE and had it on both his previous M3 and his current M4 GTS. I fell in love with the Akro tone as soon as I heard it and I have it now on my M3. We both used to own e60 M5's which are a whole different level unto themselves.

My personal preference is the higher note of the Akro which sounds a bit cleaner to my ear. If your preference is a stronger bass rumble, the MPE really shines. I don't think you can go wrong with either system. They are both way better than stock, which I absolutely hated.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #50
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
The Akrapovic sounds like crap. The MPE is SO much better sounding.

Every Recent Akrapovic Exhaust System sounds terrible. No quality tone, just noise. Pity!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #51
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

ended up ordering the car with the MPE option. i like the deeper rumble.

didn't AKRA do the manufacturing for the MPE?
No! They made the E92 MPE, but they were not involved in the F80/F82 MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
ended up ordering the car with the MPE option. i like the deeper rumble;
Meanwhile at The Bunker...

Dackelone10527.50
      03-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #53
uae
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I prefer the m performance, just perfect and sounds like stock but amplified
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Akra is now working on a system for Tesla........

I love my MPE. Cold start in my garage: NASCAR.
One guy waiting for trafficlights on the other side almost fell off his bicycle when I accellerated with the valve open the other day.
Not even fast or WOT. LOL

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #55
vortechvr6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post

Every Recent Akrapovic Exhaust System sounds terrible. No quality tone, just noise. Pity!
First, I was thinking the same about the akra. Sound way too dry. The akra here equipped with catless downpipe whereas MPE not. So its totally different. Can not compare. Then, I heard MPE in M2 equipped with catless downpipe. It sounded exactly the same with akra. Both sounds way too dry. That's what you get when you put catless downpipe in. Nothing's wrong with Akra IMO. Both are great products. I personally like the dry carbon in Akra. Definitely a work of art

Last edited by vortechvr6; 03-23-2017 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #56
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortechvr6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post

First, I was thinking the same about the akra. Sound way too dry. The akra here equipped with catless downpipe whereas MPE not. So its totally different. Can not compare. Then, I heard MPE in M2 equipped with catless downpipe. It sounded exactly the same with akra. Both sounds way too dry. That's what you get when you put catless downpipe in. Nothing's wrong with Akra IMO. Both are great products. I personally like the dry carbon in Akra. Definitely a work of art
It was a catted dp that Akra in the video had. DP has nothing to do with "dry" BTW.

Find my thread of review and sound clip of MPE+catted dp. See if it's dry to you. Man I don't have to mention it didn't do MPE remotely justice.
      03-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #57
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

I always treat these threads with a hint of suspicion given the links with you tubers and this was installed at the factory

I think on the MPE they just need to sort out the quality issues when the revised is released.

In fairness the stock car is loud on start up when cold and not exactly subtle.

I'm an Akra fan and know the UK importer well but given the M2 is not a keeper would not be throwing that sort of money at it
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #58
punky8d
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: you crazy..

Garage List
Love the Akrapovic, but I think only MP for me because of neighbors..
2018 F80 M3 CS
[Sold] 2019 F87 M2 Competition
[Sold] 2016 235i ?M?
[Sold] 2015 F82 M4
[Sold] 2013 C350
[Sold] 2008 CRV
[Sold] 2008 E93 M3
[Sold] 2006 E92 335i
[Sold] 2002 325i
[Sold] 1996 318i
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #59
vortechvr6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It was a catted dp that Akra in the video had. DP has nothing to do with "dry" BTW.

Find my thread of review and sound clip of MPE+catted dp. See if it's dry to you. Man I don't have to mention it didn't do MPE remotely justice.
Dry maybe a wrong choice of word. Let me rephrase. For me catless/catted downpipe will make the sound much louder than without. The Akra here equipped with catted downpipe and MPE does not. Not the same. So The MPE sounded less aggressive. That's why most of the people here have chosen the MPE over Akra. What I heard from M2 with MPE exhaust with catted dp sounds about the same as the Akra. Not bad of course. Both are wonderful. Btw, you should hear Akra with the factory downpipe. Sounds really nice! It's too bad it will not gain more HP with factory downpipe.

Last edited by vortechvr6; 03-23-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #60
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortechvr6 View Post
Btw, you should hear Akra with the factory downpipe.
I did all the time...no comparison.

Maybe you're on the quiet camp so am I.
      03-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #61
Alexis@psi
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I would love to be your neighbor! Akra takes the win for me on this one!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #62
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Akra sounds terrible. Not sure why everybody is gassed about their exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #63
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
What about the visual comparison between the Akra exhaust + diffuser vs M Performance exhaust + diffuser...

IMO it isn't even close. Akra all the way.
      03-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #64
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
What about the visual comparison between the Akra exhaust + diffuser vs M Performance exhaust + diffuser...

IMO it isn't even close. Akra all the way.
Attached Images

04-03-2017, 02:46 AM   #65
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
MR., this is going to be harsh, but nothing personal whatsoever. I know the better exhaust is always the one on viewer's car, but that still doesn't justify posting a completely misleading thread like this, comparing a full exhaust system including DP to a cat-back, without even mentioning that in OP.

In all fairness, catted DP is what matters and it alone demolish Akra cat-back system, to that you don't even have to listen hard. It's rather a video of MPE up against DP that you posted, yet MPE turns out getting more favor, a very clear indication of its superiority to Akra system, should everything else be equal.

There is few hearing more real world F8X sounding systems comparison than people around here me included. We have a local group of some 200 F87 owners sharing and meeting as often as we want. Let me be completely straight, general consensus is that IRL side by side comparison, Akrapovic sounds inferior to MPE, to the point where even Akra owners would admit defeat, ego put aside, only wishing they'd known it better earlier. Call us crazy, three of us already made the switch from akra to MPE. Also, not just MPE, there are many other better sounding F87 systems than Akrapovic in the market, and that is even in the opinion of those who don't like loudness.

Many of us went DP only and called it a day, couldn't be happier. With Akrapovic F87 full system, it's the DP part that you really like, I'll give you that. That being said, workmanship, lightweight and a few ponies gains claimed by Akra though questionable are really what you pay for.
You present what you have and I am happy with my Akra, and in my position and the deal I made it is the best thing I could ever have done But of course I get your point, but add to that people have different preferences and opinions, and cameras never present exhaust notes properly.

MR
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      05-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #66
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
MR., this is going to be harsh, but nothing personal whatsoever. I know the better exhaust is always the one on viewer's car, but that still doesn't justify posting a completely misleading thread like this, comparing a full exhaust system including DP to a cat-back, without even mentioning that in OP.

In all fairness, catted DP is what matters and it alone demolish Akra cat-back system, to that you don't even have to listen hard. It's rather a video of MPE up against DP that you posted, yet MPE turns out getting more favor, a very clear indication of its superiority to Akra system, should everything else be equal.

There is few hearing more real world F8X sounding systems comparison than people around here me included. We have a local group of some 200 F87 owners sharing and meeting as often as we want. Let me be completely straight, general consensus is that IRL side by side comparison, Akrapovic sounds inferior to MPE, to the point where even Akra owners would admit defeat, ego put aside, only wishing they'd known it better earlier. Call us crazy, three of us already made the switch from akra to MPE. Also, not just MPE, there are many other better sounding F87 systems than Akrapovic in the market, and that is even in the opinion of those who don't like loudness.

Many of us went DP only and called it a day, couldn't be happier. With Akrapovic F87 full system, it's the DP part that you really like, I'll give you that. That being said, workmanship, lightweight and a few ponies gains claimed by Akra though questionable are really what you pay for.
You present what you have and I am happy with my Akra, and in my position and the deal I made it is the best thing I could ever have done But of course I get your point, but add to that people have different preferences and opinions, and cameras never present exhaust notes properly.

MR
I'm currently in the same dilemma. Choosing between MPE and Akrapovic. Was originally learning towards Akrapovic, but after watching and listening to the sound clips it sounds like MPE has a deeper tone compared to Akrapovic. Im not sure if this is the case in real life. If you have experienced both in real life kindly enlighten me. What i look for in an exhaust is a deep tone and loud as well.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0