BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 4 Tune, Big Turbo & Dual Core Intercooler

03-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #309
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
No sir. That's for the track for me. To truly take advantage of that setting, I would have to drive too irresponsibly for public roads. Which I very much look forward to doing in another setting

As I said above, I was getting wheel spin off and on all the way through 2nd and 3rd with traction control on. I also look forward to comparing performance with it off, for sure. Seems to me that all else being equal, wheel spin would increase when the ecu isn't sensing spin and cutting power...
Oh come on Bruce, you can can keep it "slightly responsible".
I just feel like the traction control, even in Sport + mode, is a bit restrictive compared to having traction control completely off. I know it's WAY better than some of the past TC systems from BMW, but still a bit too nanny-like for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I think a 50 (near top of 2nd gear) to 100 run would be a nice indicator of pulling power if you can find a safe stretch. Love to hear your impressions on that.
I agree

Actually, we should be using vbox results for gauging performance increases, not a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #310
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

[QUOTE=switlikbob;21401797]Oh come on Bruce, you can can keep it "slightly responsible".
I just feel like the traction control, even in Sport + mode, is a bit restrictive compared to having traction control completely off. I know it's WAY better than some of the past TC systems from BMW, but still a bit too nanny-like for my liking.

Of course it is. The "restriction" is meant to save our asses, and/or the asses of those on the road with us.

Over the years, I've learned that it's best for me to get my ya-yas out on the track, as opposed to cowboy-ing too much on public roads. As it is, I probably push those limits too much still, but at least my record is decent and I haven't hurt anyone.

I got into this M2 by totaling my e36 M3, which involved spinning out on a highway on-ramp, banging off a guardrail, and doing at least a 540 down an embankment to the highway itself, ending up with the back end of the car sticking into oncoming traffic. The turf plume I was sending up from the embankment probably alerted drivers enough to avoid a collision. But it was a sobering experience.

The weird thing was that I wasn't racing anybody, was on a ramp I had been on basically daily for years, etc. It was cold and raining, but not iced up that I could tell. But a second after I squeezed the throttle I started spinning, and didn't stop until I had finished the path I described. Nasty. Still cannot reconstruct what happened. I had certainly done way worse stuff than that before and not had a problem. But I have no desire to risk anything like that again on public roads. On the track, unless it's wheel to wheel, I can run much closer to the edge and still feel reasonably sane.
Appreciate 3
VR-Tech117.00
bollinm25.00
      03-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #311
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=BruceM;21401867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Oh come on Bruce, you can can keep it "slightly responsible".

Of course it is. The "restriction" is meant to save our asses, and/or the asses of those on the road with us.

Over the years, I've learned that it's best for me to get my ya-yas out on the track, as opposed to cowboy-ing too much on public roads. As it is, I probably push those limits too much still, but at least my record is decent and I haven't hurt anyone.

I got into this M2 by totaling my e36 M3, which involved spinning out on a highway on-ramp, banging off a guardrail, and doing at least a 540 down an embankment to the highway itself, ending up with the back end of the car sticking into oncoming traffic. The turf plume I was sending up from the embankment probably alerted drivers enough to avoid a collision. But it was a sobering experience.

The weird thing was that I wasn't racing anybody, was on a ramp I had been on basically daily for years, etc. It was cold and raining, but not iced up that I could tell. But a second after I squeezed the throttle I started spinning, and didn't stop until I had finished the path I described. Nasty. Still cannot reconstruct what happened. I had certainly done way worse stuff than that before and not had a problem. But I have no desire to risk anything like that again on public roads. On the track, unless it's wheel to wheel, I can run much closer to the edge and still feel reasonably sane.
Wow BruceM , I have a VERY similar story regarding my e36, driving to work in the rain, my car spinning out, hitting guard rails, and being totaled. Much like you, I was NOT doing anything crazy (although I definitely did really crazy things with that car). It turned out that the inside of my rear tires were bald (due to camber) and I didn't know it. Karma is a bitch!

I do know what you mean about safety on the public roads, and I agree. However, I live in an area where there are some very lighly traveled roads, and I am not afraid to shut off the TC and have some fun.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      03-12-2017, 03:21 AM   #312
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Congratulations on your clairvoyance. But the M2 is still a better balanced car than the M4. Traction is not the only problem with the M4's balance. I am confident that a few track days and some decent tires will teach how to modulate the throttle and maximize power to the ground at 10/10ths. Plus, these cars are rarely driven at 10/10ths. Anything below that and even boosted M2s will still be more fun and easy cars to handle.
I appreciate what you are saying but if you read back what you wrote

"I am confident that a few track days and some decent tires will teach how to modulate the throttle and maximize power to the ground at 10/10ths."

This is still a compromise which detracts from the balance of the car , having to drive the car without being able to aggressively get on the power out of corners etc ..

I am just apprehensive that tuning the engine is a benefit and to make the car more effective especially on track i wonder if the money could be better spent elsewhere ie brakes , suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #313
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
I appreciate what you are saying but if you read back what you wrote

"I am confident that a few track days and some decent tires will teach how to modulate the throttle and maximize power to the ground at 10/10ths."

This is still a compromise which detracts from the balance of the car , having to drive the car without being able to aggressively get on the power out of corners etc ..

I am just apprehensive that tuning the engine is a benefit and to make the car more effective especially on track i wonder if the money could be better spent elsewhere ie brakes , suspension
Yes, I understand, but what I also said in a subsequent post that "balance," unless the suspension is truly overpowered, is more about how a car reacts when traction is lost than about the ratio of hp and torque to suspension components. I do not believe that the Dinan set-up overpowers the suspension in some fundamental way--I was losing traction on straight-ahead WOT pulls. Instead, the car's basic "balance" will prove up to the increased power, that is, its characteristics at the limit--the way it reacts to loss of traction--will remain M2-like. Therefore, the trick will be to get better rubber, and modulate the throttle differently from a stock M2...but the power won't change the M2 to an M4. The difference in power may be gone, but the other, positive, differences will remain. We will see soon enough....

Last edited by BruceM; 03-12-2017 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
gavinsan150.50
      03-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #314
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Yes, I understand, but what I also said in a subsequent post that "balance," unless the suspension is truly overpowered, is more about how a car reacts when traction is lost than about the ratio of hp and torque to suspension components. I do not believe that the Dinan set-up overpowers the suspension in some fundamental way--I was losing traction on straight-ahead WOT pulls. Instead, the car's basic "balance" will prove up to the increased power, that is, its characteristics at the limit--the way it reacts to loss of traction--will remain M2-like. Therefore, the trick will be to get better rubber, and modulate the throttle differently from a stock M2...but the power won't change the M2 to an M4. The difference in power may be gone, but the other, positive, differences will remain. We will see soon enough....
Sounds exciting
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #315
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Snooze fest here lately. (Im)patiently awaiting folks to return their cores so I can get my fucking turbo already...sorry, St Patrick's happy hour booze ranting. Dinan_Engineering , you're playing right into the California "we're laid back and proud of it" stigma. Move your ass
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #316
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Snooze fest for real. Who has more personal experiences with this setup? I am so close to pulling the trigger, but I've heard just as many neutral experiences as gooud ones. I've really yet to hear anyone be "blown away". Please share guys 😀

And my train of thought is that if I do get the p2 package and I'm not happy in the long term, at least I'll have supporting hardware for a well developed flash tune when it becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #317
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Quote:
Snooze fest for real. Who has more personal experiences with this setup? I am so close to pulling the trigger, but I've heard just as many neutral experiences as gooud ones. I've really yet to hear anyone be "blown away". Please share guys ��

And my train of thought is that if I do get the p2 package and I'm not happy in the long term, at least I'll have supporting hardware for a well developed flash tune when it becomes available.
I have yet to see a great review, whether seat of the pants, dyno or 1/4 mile. A simple $300 sport tuner will give you $hitload of torque for fun. Personally, Id want to see some serious hp numbers or better yet actual 1/4 mi time improvement to spend that kind of $$.
      03-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #318
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Snooze fest for real. Who has more personal experiences with this setup? I am so close to pulling the trigger, but I've heard just as many neutral experiences as gooud ones. I've really yet to hear anyone be "blown away". Please share guys 😀

There was one M3/4 owner who rode shotgun and was truly impressed by his buddy's M2....something along the lines of "should've come from factory like this, feels faster than stock M3/4, on par with ZCP M3/4"....it could be in this very thread. As for supporting hardware, the exhaust with resonator delete is a fantastic jumping off point...top notch quality and sound and racecar looks...as for the CAI, it's an intake. Better than stock, obviously with increased sound. What else do you want?...if stage 4 targets 5 psi over stock with daily driveability and matching warranty, it's most likely worth it for me...only caveat is that the sport tuner targets 4 psi for shit tons less money, granted heat soak is inevitable during warm conditions. It takes a quoted 1.5 hours to install the stage 4 box compared to 30 seconds for sport tuner. That speaks volumes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #319
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Here it is guys, I've had the turbo upgrade for about a month or so now. Initially I was reluctant to give my opinion because I was very underwhelmed on power increase that I thought something was wrong. Well it's not.. I can feel the increase in power up too around 3.5/4k rpm but it's definitely not night and day. I've been trying to get on the dyno. It the only dyno shop around me has been booked up on days on available. But I don't have any leaks and all hardware​ is on appropriately.
Soo... I have a couple of options here. 1. I can return my dinantronics which was $1800 (personally not worth it) and run jb4 for now.
2. If do choose to remove it go with a real flash and use BM3 and j 4 together. This would give me more options to upgrade like PI and e85 etc.
3. I could just be happy with what I have and enjoy this awesome car. Hopefully I can get this on the dyno before the 20th which is when I have to make my decision.
So there it is guys
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52272.00
No Boost4021.00
      03-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #320
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Bimmer28312:

Honest review, thank you.

As an alternative to dyno, also consider just taking it to the track. If your 1/4mi speed is 118-120mph, then you know it's working well.

B
      03-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #321
BruceM
Major
Rep

Wow. My experience is almost diametrically opposed to that of Bimmer 28312. For me, the car drives very similarly to stock up until about 3500, then is seriously different between maybe 4 grand and redline, with the sweet spot about 4500-6500. It is definitely more than the Contis can handle. My set-up includes a Pure inlet and a Fabspeed DP, and those went in the same time the P2 did. But those two can't have caused this difference on their own.
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52272.00
No Boost4021.00
      03-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #322
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

I also have Dinan exhaust, supporting Dinan mods for the turbo, and vrsf dp.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #323
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Bimmer28312:

If your 1/4mi speed is 118-120mph, then you know it's working well.
I agree with this assessment. If C&D performs an instrumented test, it should trap that....5-7 mph over stock, 1-2 higher with a DP.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #324
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Weather hasn't been great here in NorCal. I'll see maybe next weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #325
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

As requested, I'll log a few runs today and post for you guys.
Appreciate 2
BruceM984.50
      03-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #326
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
As requested, I'll log a few runs today and post for you guys.
Bimmer28312 How did those runs turn out?
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52272.00
      03-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #327
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Looking at mid April for my turbo to ship....ordered late January. Keep that in mind when planning on upgrading.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #328
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Looking at mid April for my turbo to ship....ordered late January. Keep that in mind when planning on upgrading.
PM Incoming...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #329
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Ditto. I dropped mine off Feb 3rd. Just informed that turbo won't be in until late April. Looks like I'll be missing the first track events of the season. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #330
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
My dealer ordered a turbo on 1/26 which was shipped out on 3/22. This should be mine as that is the date I ordered it. They ordered their next turbo on 2/28 which would make for a mid April delivery. Either they are confusing orders or I am getting bumped for some reason. I do know that they were planning on ordering a stage 4 kit for their demo M2.

Regardless, Dinan is still adhering to their 8 week lead in this particular case. I'm emailing my dealer wanting a satisfactory answer.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00