BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

02-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #45
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Options, but not everyone will see use out of all the features any possibly tool provides out there. We find the JB4 as a great auxiliary system to the DME that adds an additional layer of tuning options on top of what the DME can do on its own today such as controlling a meth system or secondary port fuel injection.

------------

Really excited to announce Sonic Motorsport (SonicMS) joining the bootmod3 authorized dealer crew For those of you that have inquired on bootmod3/unlock from the area feel free to give them a call

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/authorized-dealers
Thanks! When going in for service with BM3, how do I ensure that they don't update the DME or anything to prevent potential loss of the DME unlock/BM3.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #46
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbavar2 View Post
Thanks! When going in for service with BM3, how do I ensure that they don't update the DME or anything to prevent potential loss of the DME unlock/BM3.
Jedi mind trick You'd just let your SA know not to update software on the DME without consulting with you first.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      02-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #47
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Jedi mind trick You'd just let your SA know not to update software on the DME without consulting with you first.
Magic! Thanks
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      03-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #48
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

proTUNING Freaks Any chance you could update the FAQ's in the first post to address these questions?

What happens if I go for a dealer visit, and they flash the car's software? Will they have problems? Would I have to send in the DME to be unlocked again?
08 335 MT (RWD) | Cobb OTS E30 maps | AMS intercooler | AR DP's | K&N filter | KW V2's | M3 front control arms | Stoptech slotted rotors & Street Performance pads | Stoptech SS brake lines w/STR 600 fluid | PE mod

X3 35 with a few little mods
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #49
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
proTUNING Freaks Any chance you could update the FAQ's in the first post to address these questions?

What happens if I go for a dealer visit, and they flash the car's software? Will they have problems? Would I have to send in the DME to be unlocked again?
There's a few way to answer this. Going from Experience + a few personal friends (N55/S55/S63TU). Updating the car software is more likely when you haven't visited the dealer in a while or there's a new update to fix or improve something, having issues with Navigation/Electronics, or something else with the car. Typically, Dealer plugs it and see if there's any updates available. For the most part, you will not need to revisit for Unlock because they're updating another part of the ECU. Now, if you specifically have a major issue where the dealer needs to REPROGRAM/flash the car software your car then you will lose your tune but more than likely you will not lose the Unlock part.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #50
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
There's a few way to answer this. Going from Experience + a few personal friends (N55/S55/S63TU). Updating the car software is more likely when you haven't visited the dealer in a while or there's a new update to fix or improve something, having issues with Navigation/Electronics, or something else with the car. Typically, Dealer plugs it and see if there's any updates available.

For the most part, you will not need to revisit for Unlock because they're updating another part of the ECU.

Now, if you specifically have a major issue where the dealer needs to REPROGRAM/flash the car software your car then you will lose your tune but more than likely you will not lose the Unlock part.
Added breaks to your reply. Thanks. So you are saying that if they end up having to flash a certain module, like the navigation, it should have no impact upon the tune that's resides on the DME, nor should they have any problems doing their flash.

If they were to flash the whole car's software, they should still not experience any problems doing so, but it would mean that your tune would get overwritten, worst case, and you would not have to send your DME back in for an unlock. If that's correct, then that's no big deal, because you would just flash it back.

Did I get it right?

Would love to get official confirmation of the above from proTUNING Freaks
08 335 MT (RWD) | Cobb OTS E30 maps | AMS intercooler | AR DP's | K&N filter | KW V2's | M3 front control arms | Stoptech slotted rotors & Street Performance pads | Stoptech SS brake lines w/STR 600 fluid | PE mod

Appreciate 2
      03-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #51
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Added breaks to your reply. Thanks. So you are saying that if they end up having to flash a certain module, like the navigation, it should have no impact upon the tune that's resides on the DME, nor should they have any problems doing their flash.

If they were to flash the whole car's software, they should still not experience any problems doing so, but it would mean that your tune would get overwritten, worst case, and you would not have to send your DME back in for an unlock. If that's correct, then that's no big deal, because you would just flash it back.

Did I get it right?

Would love to get official confirmation of the above from proTUNING Freaks
Whether they flash other modules in the car doesn't really matter as far as the unlock so anything else getting serviced/flashed will not affect the DME unlock, and there are a ton of ECUs on these cars. When/if DME is flashed, if the bootloader area of the DME is flashed, which isn't very common, then you'd lose your unlock, otherwise unlock would stay.

Keep in mind, there's never going to be a true way of being invisible to the dealer/service whether you use a flash or piggyback tune or any hardware modifications. Modifying has always carried risk of warranty and it doesn't apply just to cars we love to mod
Appreciate 4
      03-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #52
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

FYI: New OBD Agent is up on dropbox. For those using the device instead of laptop update your firmware on the SD card, details in the FAQ below:

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/bootmod3-faq

Changes include further data channels expansion and processing abilities along with various performance enhancements.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #53
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whether they flash other modules in the car doesn't really matter as far as the unlock so anything else getting serviced/flashed will not affect the DME unlock, and there are a ton of ECUs on these cars.

When/if DME is flashed, if the bootloader area of the DME is flashed, which isn't very common, then you'd lose your unlock, otherwise unlock would stay.

Keep in mind, there's never going to be a true way of being invisible to the dealer/service whether you use a flash or piggyback tune or any hardware modifications. Modifying has always carried risk of warranty and it doesn't apply just to cars we love to mod
Thanks for the reply. My question had nothing to do with warranty or being invisible. Was merely asking IF they were to flash the car's ECU, where your flash resides, would the flash cause them any problems or not. You seem to be saying that it wouldn't cause the dealer any problems in flashing the ECU.

Worst thing that would happen is that you'd have to get the DME unlocked again. I'm guessing you would realize that after getting your car back and trying to flash the tune again, and being unsuccessful.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #54
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My question had nothing to do with warranty or being invisible. Was merely asking IF they were to flash the car's ECU, where your flash resides, would the flash cause them any problems or not. You seem to be saying that it wouldn't cause the dealer any problems in flashing the ECU.

Worst thing that would happen is that you'd have to get the DME unlocked again. I'm guessing you would realize that after getting your car back and trying to flash the tune again, and being unsuccessful.
Yep, you got it.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #55
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Just a quick update for those looking for more info, we've added some help docs on our new help/wiki page:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BCS

We'll be adding more as we go for the most common questions out there including HowTo guides on custom tuning.

As for custom tuning we'll show a quick preview soon. Giant amount of work has gone into it so far and the end of the tunnel is finally in sight

More to follow
Appreciate 3
      03-31-2017, 05:39 AM   #56
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Can't wait to see custom tuning! I've done some work with e46 m3 ECU in the past and helped a buddy on his N54 with Cobb. Exciting!!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      03-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #57
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Just a quick update for those looking for more info, we've added some help docs on our new help/wiki page:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BCS

We'll be adding more as we go for the most common questions out there including HowTo guides on custom tuning.

As for custom tuning we'll show a quick preview soon. Giant amount of work has gone into it so far and the end of the tunnel is finally in sight

More to follow
This is great !!!
Supadice Jaydoski Norcalmav23 Vapeconj

Appreciate 3
      04-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #58
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Got the OTS Stage 2 map. It really hauls guys! Not a single issue, thank you thank you thank you!!
Appreciate 2
AlexCirci496.50
FSociety3810.00
      04-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #59
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

BM3 + sport cat + intercooler + pure inlet?

Anyone running this combo? Interested in the gains with a stock turbo on 93 octane. Like the smaller turbo for a quicker spool but have added the above so it breathes in and out better. Would love to see your results if you are running similar mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #60
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
Anyone running this combo? Interested in the gains with a stock turbo on 93 octane. Like the smaller turbo for a quicker spool but have added the above so it breathes in and out better. Would love to see your results if you are running similar mods.
Local friend of mine in NJ M2Dynamic will be on Dyno on Tuesday, numbers coming!

Last edited by FSociety; 05-30-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #61
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Just as an FYI, a new update has been pushed on the web version. If anyone encounters anything out of the ordinary please clear your browser's cache and retry.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      05-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #62
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Got the OTS Stage 2 map. It really hauls guys! Not a single issue, thank you thank you thank you!!
Can you share your current setup?

I loaded the OTS Stage 2 Map, but there seems to be a problem holding the rpm at around 5000 rpm.

However, if I floor it from say 2500 rpm to the red line, it's no problem and it does hauls especially after 5000 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #63
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
Can you share your current setup?

I loaded the OTS Stage 2 Map, but there seems to be a problem holding the rpm at around 5000 rpm.

However, if I floor it from say 2500 rpm to the red line, it's no problem and it does hauls especially after 5000 rpm.
Did you open a Support Ticket ?
https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #64
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, certainly did.

Sent over datalog from 3rd and 4th gear pull and videos.

I am sure they are looking into it, but I just wanted to know if it's the setup or if it's because mine is an Euro Spec M2.

I mean from 2500 rpm full throttle to redline it's fine. It's just the car is not able to hold the rpm steady when I go from say 4000 rpm and up to around 5000 rpm and try to hold it there.

Maybe my current setup is insufficient? I got the WT intercooler, stock intake (eventuri hasn't arrive yet), FTP boost pipe, full Akrapovic exhaust system with catless downpipe.

Here's a video of it:

https://youtu.be/FPM71WxQuI4

https://youtu.be/juPnv5NrTUc

Last edited by Acexxon; 05-30-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #65
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
Quote:
Yes, certainly did.

Sent over datalog from 3rd and 4th gear pull and videos.

I am sure they are looking into it, but I just wanted to know if it's the setup or if it's because mine is an Euro Spec M2.

I mean from 2500 rpm full throttle to redline it's fine. It's just the car is not able to hold the rpm steady when I go from say 4000 rpm and up to around 5000 rpm and try to hold it there.

Maybe my current setup is insufficient? I got the WT intercooler, stock intake (eventuri hasn't arrive yet), FTP boost pipe, full Akrapovic exhaust system with catless downpipe.

Here's a video of it:

My setup is identical to yours except for a catted dp. And I'm experiencing a problem that seems the same as yours.

I emailed PTF that my car makes oddly aggressive soundings (a few BOMs as if it aggressively shifted but actually didn't), the engine seems very upset about what you're doing. That's only happening on partial throttle at higher rpm ranges and is easily reproducible. I think it's just as you described - it doesn't hold 5000 rpm well. And like you, my WOT is fine and pulling strong.

Mine is Euro spec too but I don't think that makes a difference...

I was asked to open a ticket with datalog showing the problem which at the moment I can't do without JB4 or agent device in hand.

It looks like a bug within OTS stg2 with F87 DCT N55, I'm hoping FTP take time looking into it and update current users with a new version.

proTUNING Freaks
      05-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #66
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
My setup is identical to yours except for a catted dp. And I'm experiencing a problem that seems the same as yours.

I emailed PTF that my car makes oddly aggressive soundings (a few BOMs as if it aggressively shifted but actually didn't), the engine seems very upset about what you're doing. That's only happening on partial throttle at higher rpm ranges and is easily reproducible. I think it's just as you described - it doesn't hold 5000 rpm well. And like you, my WOT is fine and pulling strong.

Mine is Euro spec too but I don't think that makes a difference...

I was asked to open a ticket with datalog showing the problem which at the moment I can't do without JB4 or agent device in hand.

It looks like a bug within OTS stg2 with F87 DCT N55, I'm hoping FTP take time looking into it and update current users with a new version.

proTUNING Freaks
You can actually datalog with a laptop like what I did. Plug the enet cable and connect it to your laptop. Use your cell phone as hot spot and your laptop will have internet access to go online into your BM3 account.

I've sent them the datalog, waiting for them to go over it and see what's up. The power delivery needs to be smoothed out IMO, abrupt power out sure feels good if you are drag racing someone down the highway, but I bet most of us M2 drivers enjoy the track / backroads more and this would kill us.

SeanWRT Thanks for confirming my findings, and sorry to say this, but at least I am not the only one experiencing this. I am sure it's a simple fix in the map, all they have to do is some minor adjustments. Meanwhile I am going to try to add the DV+ to the car.

BTW those that are considering ordering the DV+ from Pure Turbo or GFB, make sure you let them know it's for M2, the regular N55 DV+ will not work.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00