BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M2 Tires - Change from MPSS to Contis

View Poll Results: Which tires did your M2 come with?
MY16 - MPSS 65 10.64%
MY16 - Conti 3 0.49%
MY17 - MPSS 192 31.42%
MY17 - Conti 169 27.66%
MY18 - MPSS 54 8.84%
MY18 - Conti 128 20.95%
Voters: 611. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #67
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I should have made the comment earlier in the poll, but we should see if there is tire difference on cars with manual versus DCT. Going to wonder if manual cars are coming with Michelin.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #68
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I should have made the comment earlier in the poll, but we should see if there is tire difference on cars with manual versus DCT. Going to wonder if manual cars are coming with Michelin.
Mine was a manual and Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #69
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiM2 View Post
Mine was a manual and Michelins.
I am the same.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #70
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Already starting to wonder!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #71
Ceeto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Lightweight

I don't think there's a correlation between tires and transmission.

I have a manual and came with Contis
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #72
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

DCT with MPSS
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #73
chrismac
Addiction
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport Plus Edition

2017 DCT Contis.

Last edited by chrismac; 12-12-2016 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #74
EX4S
Rep

2017 DCT with MPSS
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #75
MFan_Ken
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LLB, 6MT, Exe, Car Play

I have a week 43 manual with Conti's. I suspect the production week is more of a determiner of the tire brand that anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #76
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFan_Ken View Post
I have a week 43 manual with Conti's. I suspect the production week is more of a determiner of the tire brand that anything.
43, MPSS
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #77
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Week 45 Completed, MPSS confirmed!

2017 Model
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #78
OBXBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017

minority opinion

Week 41 October build

2017 MG MT

CSC3- I guess Im in the minority and don't hate these tires. Have had the Michelins on another car and thought they were pretty good but not spectacular. I think the same of the conti's- good but not spectacular (and certainly not trash).

Last edited by OBXBMW; 12-19-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #79
champ_87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 DCT

I mentioned this in a different thread, but I received my 2017 wk35 build with Contis as well. When my dealer called to check in to see how I was liking the car, I mentioned my surprise seeing the Contis on it & that some others on the forums are receiving the same surprise unfortunately. At first he gave the expected response that BMW doesn't single source tires, isn't obligated, etc. etc. But he still decided to mention it to the General Manager who oversees a large group of dealerships here in the Minneapolis area (Carousel Motor Group). This GM was upset to hear this, particularly on such a sought after M car, and contacted BMW of NA about it.

I realize at this point its like the telephone game and I'm getting watered down info back about the entire situation...but for what its worth, BMW NA was so appreciative of me bringing this to their attention (yeah whatever) that they are going to reexamine how they deliver these M2s going forward. And as a thank you, they are sending me a new set of MPSSs for the car plus sending me a free day at M school either in SC or the new one in Palm Springs.

I was surprised to hear this sort of response to all this especially when I seriously didn't make a big deal about it AT ALL, and didn't demand anything. There was a little voice inside saying, sounds good but I'll believe it when I see it. Well, here's what I received from them.

Name:  Capture01.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  74.0 KB

They sent them to the dealership and were going to swap them on the car but we've got ice covered roads here in Minneapolis now and I don't have a winter set on the car yet so I just brought them home. Figured I might as well tear up the Contis next spring first before doing the swap anyway.

As for the M school voucher, I have yet to receive anything from BMW on this yet but if/when I do, I'll post an update. For this, obviously YMMV but for those of you who aren't happy, my situation may be something to point to with their dealer. I give kudos to my dealership (BMW of Minnetonka) and especially the GM who is a car enthusiast himself and clearly went to bat for me on this.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #80
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Stripper AW/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ_87 View Post
I mentioned this in a different thread, but I received my 2017 wk35 build with Contis as well. When my dealer called to check in to see how I was liking the car, I mentioned my surprise seeing the Contis on it & that some others on the forums are receiving the same surprise unfortunately. At first he gave the expected response that BMW doesn't single source tires, isn't obligated, etc. etc. But he still decided to mention it to the General Manager who oversees a large group of dealerships here in the Minneapolis area (Carousel Motor Group). This GM was upset to hear this, particularly on such a sought after M car, and contacted BMW of NA about it.

I realize at this point its like the telephone game and I'm getting watered down info back about the entire situation...but for what its worth, BMW NA was so appreciative of me bringing this to their attention (yeah whatever) that they are going to reexamine how they deliver these M2s going forward. And as a thank you, they are sending me a new set of MPSSs for the car plus sending me a free day at M school either in SC or the new one in Palm Springs.

I was surprised to hear this sort of response to all this especially when I seriously didn't make a big deal about it AT ALL, and didn't demand anything. There was a little voice inside saying, sounds good but I'll believe it when I see it. Well, here's what I received from them.

Attachment 1542830

They sent them to the dealership and were going to swap them on the car but we've got ice covered roads here in Minneapolis now and I don't have a winter set on the car yet so I just brought them home. Figured I might as well tear up the Contis next spring first before doing the swap anyway.

As for the M school voucher, I have yet to receive anything from BMW on this yet but if/when I do, I'll post an update. For this, obviously YMMV but for those of you who aren't happy, my situation may be something to point to with their dealer. I give kudos to my dealership (BMW of Minnetonka) and especially the GM who is a car enthusiast himself and clearly went to bat for me on this.
Wow that's some incredible customer service! If I didn't get the MPSS, my dealership would probably have given me a mug
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #81
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 1542830

Whoa! Score! BMW dealers around here don't carry that same reputation, but great win!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #82
outerbelt
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB M2

2017, Week 45 build - DCT. MPSS.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #83
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

2017, picked it up Nov 30. Manual. came with MPSS
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #84
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
If I didn't get the MPSS, my dealership would probably have given me a mug
I got Contis and a keychain...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #85
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 1542830

Nothing to say here, but fuckin ay!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:23 AM   #86
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MPSS up to 72 vs 48. Please please please please. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #87
sta-rr 320
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

arrived yesterday with Conti SP3
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #88
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I voted already in the poll - got PSS on my first M2, but for a variety of reasons, I passed on it and took the next order slot (me and the guy after me just swapped). Unfortunately my 2nd M2 came with the Contis

Of note, the week your car is produced has nothing to do with what tires you get - it is luck of the draw, one coming off the line could get PSS, the next Contis (as seen by people here with same weeks and different tires).

My dealer ran it up the chain and below is the official response from BMW to the regional rep (there was more to the email from the regional rep including "If the customer decides that they would like a different set of tires on their vehicle they will need to purchase them at their own cost. Thanks")

I ‘ve just talked with our M engineering department in Munich.

Initially the M2 project was started with a single tire supplier (Michelin). Since August 2016 they decided to include Continental as second supplier due to volume reasons. Both tires -from Michelin and Conti- were thoroughly tested on the Nuerburgring Norschleife and officially released and recommended by BMW M. Moreover as far as driving dynamics is concerned both tires are on the same performance level.

Please have a quick look at the box below (officially released and recommended by BMW M):

+ light beige indicates Summer tires

+ light blue shows Winter tires

Our production system is based on an automatic provision of tires which can’t be influenced. That means a customer can’t order Michelin or Conti tires in particular.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
voinea25.00
D CHOI580.00