BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 incoming but coilovers arrived

05-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #45
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Also anyone know the spring rates? Are these double adjustable?
      05-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #46
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Here is mine at the BMW recommended height provided in the install instructions.

Attachment 1406634
sh*t that looks good!
      05-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #47
simmomi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid
Here is mine at the BMW recommended height provided in the install instructions.

Attachment 1406634
Holy crap, that's HAWT!!! Looks FANTASTIC!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:18 AM   #48
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm, should be the same if we both used the same recommendation. I measured it to be 595 mm up front and 600 mm in the rear when I collected the car but it might have settled a bit. I will measure it again and see. The measurement should be made with 2x 75kg in the car according to BMW so that might be a reason for it to be different depending on if the installer did that or not.
Yes sorry if I was unclear but I have retained the 5mm front down difference vs the original flat (equal front and rear) but have set up a little higher than you. So far I have not had any problems over any kerbs or speed bumps or car parking ramps. so I am very happy with the set up. I will check heights at first service after break in and maybe decide if I want to lower any more.

These pics posted over in general discussion forum
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-11-2016, 04:24 AM   #49
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourscore View Post
Looks fantastic..

My question for me is; is having the better, lower look in contrast to (or a trade off with) the firm/hard ride around town or is it simply an acceptable compromise in your opinion?

Many thanks
thing is the kit is height adjustable so you can set up where you want and also bump and rebound adjustable so around town if you find it too hard you can back off a little to find the right compromise.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 04:26 AM   #50
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Also anyone know the spring rates? Are these double adjustable?
don't know spring rate but shocks have separate dials for bump and rebound so yes 2 way adjustable
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #51
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Any need for spacers?
So far no hint of any rub. Spacers may result in rub on the body because on my car the clearance is nice and tight within the guards
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #52
kmx
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i MSport

Quote:

Attachment 1406634
Wow that looks incredible. This is how they all should come off the factory floor looking like that.

Amazing looking car. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #53
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
So far no hint of any rub. Spacers may result in rub on the body because on my car the clearance is nice and tight within the guards
M+M - looks superb. Has front camber increased much ? I ask as MPSS have a softer outer shoulder so can wear prematurely.

Given the noise and lack of reliability in aftermarket camber plates - it would be interesting to see an M2 with MP suspension mated up to M4 GTS offset top mounts........

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #54
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:

Attachment 1406634
this looks so damn good. aggressive af.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #55
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M+M - looks superb. Has front camber increased much ? I ask as MPSS have a softer outer shoulder so can wear prematurely.

Given the noise and lack of reliability in aftermarket camber plates - it would be interesting to see an M2 with MP suspension mated up to M4 GTS offset top mounts........
Since this is for me a DD car the post install wheel alignment was set at factory road spec by the dealer. I haven't looked at the readout sheet yet to check as it was left with the original suspension in box. I was too impatient at delivery (last Saturday) to go try some back roads and didn't want the heavy suspension sitting in the boot and I haven't gone back yet. Probably won't get the chance to do that either till next week as I have an out of town Targa rally this weekend. Just by eye if anything I think the risk is the negative camber on the rear might cause the inside to wear faster than outside. You can see outside row of tread blocks don't pick up any dust when just parking in parking building and the rest of the tire does - not sure if this happens also on standard suspension. So possibly with less roll movement and too much slow speed driving might get more inside wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #56
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Since this is for me a DD car the post install wheel alignment was set at factory road spec by the dealer. I haven't looked at the readout sheet yet to check as it was left with the original suspension in box. I was too impatient at delivery (last Saturday) to go try some back roads and didn't want the heavy suspension sitting in the boot and I haven't gone back yet. Probably won't get the chance to do that either till next week as I have an out of town Targa rally this weekend. Just by eye if anything I think the risk is the negative camber on the rear might cause the inside to wear faster than outside. You can see outside row of tread blocks don't pick up any dust when just parking in parking building and the rest of the tire does - not sure if this happens also on standard suspension. So possibly with less roll movement and too much slow speed driving might get more inside wear.
M+M - I reduced rear camber on my jb4'd M135i from -1.7 to -1.3 to aid traction from my 245/35/18 tyres.

My comments are about more negative camber on the front axles

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #57
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Yes sorry if I was unclear but I have retained the 5mm front down difference vs the original flat (equal front and rear) but have set up a little higher than you. So far I have not had any problems over any kerbs or speed bumps or car parking ramps. so I am very happy with the set up. I will check heights at first service after break in and maybe decide if I want to lower any more.

These pics posted over in general discussion forum
Looks great! I will have a look at the height again when my wheels arrive and I see the fitment. The front is quite low as it is now for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #58
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Laguna Seca

I got the impression that the M2 press cars at Seca were on standard suspension and M track brake pads. Is this correct? Or did they have the coil over suspension installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #59
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Standard Suspension and M Performance Pads, correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #60
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M+M - I reduced rear camber on my jb4'd M135i from -1.7 to -1.3 to aid traction from my 245/35/18 tyres.

My comments are about more negative camber on the front axles
Ok thx. I will check and ask tech at 2000km breakin service
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #61
jusblazeee_f22
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:

Attachment 1406634
Its perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:58 AM   #62
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
Standard Suspension and M Performance Pads, correct.
Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #63
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Looks very good
      05-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #64
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Is adjusting the height something we can easily do in our garage?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #65
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Is adjusting the height something we can easily do in our garage?
It is supposed to be with the tool supplied with the kit. access under the car is the thing so best with wheels off and car jacked up off the ground. The instructions are given to measure the ride height but in reality the best thing is to corner weigh the car and make it equal weight side to side front and side to side rear. Instructions suggest that you should simulate passenger weight in the car by having 75kg in the driver and passenger seats. However my thinking is a bit different.

So far I have not corner weighed the car but will likely do so after the 2000km service to let the suspension settle down. And I will do it with just me in the driver seat - no passenger weight. My logic is at normal road speeds corner weights are not critical. If going fast - say on track it is most likely that there will be only 1 in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #66
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
It is supposed to be with the tool supplied with the kit. access under the car is the thing so best with wheels off and car jacked up off the ground. The instructions are given to measure the ride height but in reality the best thing is to corner weigh the car and make it equal weight side to side front and side to side rear. Instructions suggest that you should simulate passenger weight in the car by having 75kg in the driver and passenger seats. However my thinking is a bit different.

So far I have not corner weighed the car but will likely do so after the 2000km service to let the suspension settle down. And I will do it with just me in the driver seat - no passenger weight. My logic is at normal road speeds corner weights are not critical. If going fast - say on track it is most likely that there will be only 1 in the car.
Thank you.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0