Interesting comparison...

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/11/09/be...m2-audi-tt-rs/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #68
sirbuler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Too bad it has no manual option. Deal breaker for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #69
M2fan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

Does anyone here know when/if this thing will be available in the US?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #70
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2fan View Post
Does anyone here know when/if this thing will be available in the US?
Yes. Summer.

Roadster will not be available on the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #71
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

*new link*

TT RS vs M2

Tested both on track and road.

TT RS won both.

4:08 @ the track.
6:00 verdict.

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 02-01-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      01-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #72
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Unless something changed recently, no manual = no go for me.
Unless they have significantly worked over the 6MT, you might want to reconsider that position.

I currently have a Mk2 TTRS, the 6MT is... passable, but not great IMO.

I'm strongly considering trading it in or selling it for an M2, and my biggest question is whether to go 6MT or DCT.

My car history and thoughts, so you can see where I'm coming from...
  1. 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS (6MT) - high rev 2zz-ge motor, think VTEC on crack. Cable-actuated 6MT, but I had an aftermarket shift assembly from TWM Performance that made it amazing. This was a pretty nice transmission IMO. I autocrossed it a lot and learned how to heel-toe correctly with it.
  2. 2008 VW R32 (DSG only in the states) - I put an aftermarket DSG tune on it so it would hold a gear at redline instead of auto-shifting in "M" mode. This car was fun as hell to drive on track or back roads, felt like an F1 driver, and you could focus more on driving lines and braking points since you weren't fiddling with the stick. Biggest problem was that it was hard to make more power in this car without dumping tons of $ into F/I. Also, VW is stupid and "+" is forward on the stick and "-" is toward the driver.
  3. 2012 Audi TTRS (6MT only in the US) - left/right spacing on gates is very close, making this car stupidly easy to money-shift. Reports from people in Europe/UK ruining the 2nd & 3rd syncros from running the box quickly, this is on stock-power cars. The transmission is actually a VAG parts-bin special; it was originally used/designed for the diesel, 4motion Tiguan in Europe (designed to handle high torque). It was the only transverse AWD 6MT that VAG had that would hold the torque that the I5T puts out, which is why it wound up in the TTRS. I'm not a big fan of the clutch feel either; it has a dual-mass flywheel and getting a smooth pull-away is still difficult for me, and I've been driving the car almost 2 years now. Also, on the Mk2 TT, the cupholders are behind the stick, so if you have a taller drink, your arm is hitting it unless you shift all weird. (Makes it hard to live with as a daily/only car, which is how I'm using it because I have nowhere to keep another car.) The windows like to freeze shut in the winter too (something I'm hoping BMW does a better job with since more Bimmers have frameless windows).

I've also driven a few other stick cars - Focus RS and a 997 GT3RS both at Nelson Ledges (track). The GT3RS is like a bolt-action rifle, wonderful transmission... but that's expected from Porsche. The Focus RS feels nicer than the trans in the TT RS. Also driven a 996 and 997 C4S at different times on the street. I'd love to have a Porsche, but it's a bit beyond my price, and I want seating for at least 3 actual adults.

Given all of the above, I have a very difficult decision between the DCT and 6MT should I decide to buy an M2...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #73
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Unless they have significantly worked over the 6MT, you might want to reconsider that position.

I'm strongly considering trading it in or selling it for an M2, and my biggest question is whether to go 6MT or DCT.

1. 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS (6MT) - high rev 2zz-ge motor, think VTEC on crack. Cable-actuated 6MT, but I had an aftermarket shift assembly from TWM Performance that made it amazing. This was a pretty nice transmission IMO. I autocrossed it a lot and learned how to heel-toe correctly with it.
  2. 2008 VW R32 (DSG only in the states) - I put an aftermarket DSG tune on it so it would hold a gear at redline instead of auto-shifting in "M" mode. This car was fun as hell to drive on track or back roads, felt like an F1 driver, and you could focus more on driving lines and braking points since you weren't fiddling with the stick. Biggest problem was that it was hard to make more power in this car without dumping tons of $ into F/I. Also, VW is stupid and "+" is forward on the stick and "-" is toward the driver.
  3. 2012 Audi TTRS (6MT only in the US) - left/right spacing on gates is very close, making this car stupidly easy to money-shift. Reports from people in Europe/UK ruining the 2nd & 3rd syncros from running the box quickly, this is on stock-power cars. The transmission is actually a VAG parts-bin special; it was originally used/designed for the diesel, 4motion Tiguan in Europe (designed to handle high torque). It was the only transverse AWD 6MT that VAG had that would hold the torque that the I5T puts out, which is why it wound up in the TTRS. I'm not a big fan of the clutch feel either; it has a dual-mass flywheel and getting a smooth pull-away is still difficult for me, and I've been driving the car almost 2 years now. Also, on the Mk2 TT, the cupholders are behind the stick, so if you have a taller drink, your arm is hitting it unless you shift all weird. (Makes it hard to live with as a daily/only car, which is how I'm using it because I have nowhere to keep another car.) The windows like to freeze shut in the winter too (something I'm hoping BMW does a better job with since more Bimmers have frameless windows).

I've also driven a few other stick cars - Focus RS and a 997 GT3RS both at Nelson Ledges (track). The GT3RS is like a bolt-action rifle, wonderful transmission... but that's expected from Porsche. The Focus RS feels nicer than the trans in the TT RS. Also driven a 996 and 997 C4S at different times on the street. I'd love to have a Porsche, but it's a bit beyond my price, and I want seating for at least 3 actual adults.

Given all of the above, I have a very difficult decision between the DCT and 6MT should I decide to buy an M2...
I need driver engagement on my DD, more than just clicking a paddle. I drove an M4 DCT in Germany for 10 days and missed my 6MT after 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #74
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I need driver engagement on my DD, more than just clicking a paddle. I drove an M4 DCT in Germany for 10 days and missed my 6MT after 2 days.
I totally get that... the question is, would you rather have a so-so 6MT (Mk2 TTRS), or a really good DCT?

Last I heard there were still no confirmations of any 6MT for the Mk3 TTRS, it's going to be dual-clutch only.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #75
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I totally get that... the question is, would you rather have a so-so 6MT (Mk2 TTRS), or a really good DCT?

Last I heard there were still no confirmations of any 6MT for the Mk3 TTRS, it's going to be dual-clutch only.
I'd take the so-so 6MT. The Mazdaspeed 3 I came out of wasn't the greatest but didn't matter. I've had some time in an s2000 and that makes the M2 even seem so-so.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #76
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

The MT on the M2 can be substantially improved by a new clutch pedal and a good SS kit, in my opinion. Those still won't give you control over your own rev matching, but they do improve the action of the shift considerably.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #77
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:

Point of Order: Is the Volkswagen-Audi manual transmission called a VAG-box? Is that redundant?
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #78
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
http://www.tf1.fr/tf1/auto-moto/vide...udi-tt-rs.html

TT RS vs M2

Tested both on track and road.

TT RS won both.

4:08 @ the track.
6:00 verdict.
Couldn't get the link to work - I was interested in this comparison.

I think the TT-RS definitely looks better, but I have limited driving experience with Audi's AWD system (my girlfriend has an AWD Q3, but that's not a good basis of info - great car for her purposes, but not designed to be very sporty).
      01-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #79
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Couldn't get the link to work - I was interested in this comparison.

I think the TT-RS definitely looks better, but I have limited driving experience with Audi's AWD system (my girlfriend has an AWD Q3, but that's not a good basis of info - great car for her purposes, but not designed to be very sporty).
It was working a few days back, don't know what changed...

I just hope it is enjoyable! It should be!

The comparision mostly said that thanks to the traction, you can really use your power how it is meant to be used.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #80
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

New link! Same video but now on YouTube.

6:05 - "For the road? TT RS, hands down. Very accurate steering, I want the TT RS."

6:19 - "So on the track, the traction is just mindblowing, magnificent and so, so quick."

6:50 - "For sure I'd pick the TT RS, even though the M2 slides quite nicely, it is much slower."

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 02-01-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
G8rGrl568.50
      02-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #81
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:

6:05 - "For the road? TT RS, hands down. Very accurate steering, I want the TT RS."

6:19 - "So on the track, the traction is just mindblowing, magnificent and so, so quick."

6:50 - "For sure I'd pick the TR RS, even though the M2 slides quite nicely, it is much slower."
No hate against other regions, countries whatsoever. But I'll stick with the German or British car reviews
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #82
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:

6:50 - "For sure I'd pick the TR RS, even though the M2 slides quite nicely, it is much slower."
Got to agree with these quotes.I had the opportunity to try one out the other week and they're very impressive but the spec wasn't right otherwise I may have pulled the trigger,also it's Winter and I'm bored
Everything about the ttrs is better from the interior to the engine note imo.

The only thing that's holding me back is the thought of what the M2 CS might bring to the table...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #83
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Point of Order: Is the Volkswagen-Audi manual transmission called a VAG-box? Is that redundant?

Well, they call the same dual-clutch gearbox two different things between Audi (S-tronic) and VW (DSG)... so I will usually just call it the generic VAG (Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, I guess it should be VWAG but that's an extra letter and it's more fun to sprinkle VAG everywhere in my text ) DSG.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #84
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If only it had a mechanical rear biased diff, I would be very interested in the TTRS. Everything else is superb, but a front driver is just a fly in the ointment.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #85
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What's the big deal with it not being RWD?

And I heard the DCT on the TT RS is as good as the Porsche's PDK or even better, in some reviews.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #86
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

And I heard that Big Foot really does exist. The interwebs never lie.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #87
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
What's the big deal with it not being RWD?

And I heard the DCT on the TT RS is as good as the Porsche's PDK or even better, in some reviews.
It's not just that it isn't RWD. It's that its diff never feeds power at more than 50% to the rear wheels, and is normally at 80% to the fronts.

Again, since you don't track your cars, this means little to you. But it means a lot to drivers who do, because that bias materially affects how it handles, especially at the limit.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #88
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
It's not just that it isn't RWD. It's that its diff never feeds power at more than 50% to the rear wheels, and is normally at 80% to the fronts.

Again, since you don't track your cars, this means little to you. But it means a lot to drivers who do, because that bias materially affects how it handles, especially at the limit.
The FWD bias can also be felt when hooning around. Plowing/understeer is a buzzkill when turning aggressively on (empty) public streets.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50