BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 LCI to wait or not to wait?

03-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #265
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne_485 View Post
Adaptive cruise control on an M2?? Come on!
I definitely wouldn't want it.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #266
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

To wait or not to wait.. that is the question. Personally I'm going to wait. I'm going to wait for the 2020 or 2021 M2 or X5M. At that point I will sell my 2017 M2 which will help get me through my waiting because wow, it's really an awesome car to drive while I wait.
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00
      03-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #267
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
To wait or not to wait.. that is the question. Personally I'm going to wait. I'm going to wait for the 2020 or 2021 M2 or X5M. At that point I will sell my 2017 M2 which will help get me through my waiting because wow, it's really an awesome car to drive while I wait.
So you're going to wait for the next gen M2... by driving your M2. I think you missed the point of this thread?
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #268
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

I wonder if the LCI will have any new color options. Any precedent for this?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #269
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
Any precedent for this?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #270
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
I wonder if the LCI will have any new color options. Any precedent for this?
That typically has NOT been the case for cars manufactured and sold out of Leipzig. Go ahead and use this ( or just make up a reason ) to wait to buy a car if you want to .. regardless a new color option really isn't likely.

Realistic chance ? 15 percent. That's On the high side.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #271
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
So you're going to wait for the next gen M2... by driving your M2. I think you missed the point of this thread?
That's not true at all. Many people have gone from a 2014 M4 to a 2017..

Driving an M2 while waiting for an M2 CS or " further progress " certainly IS an option.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      03-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #272
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Based on SCOTT's post in the other thread, I am hoping to hear more about the CS and LCI in Shanghai. He vaguely referred to the "future of M" - so it could be about AWD or hybrid options in the future too.
      03-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #273
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Based on SCOTT's post in the other thread, I am hoping to hear more about the CS and LCI in Shanghai. He vaguely referred to the "future of M" - so it could be about AWD or hybrid options in the future too.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Probably the announcement of a new brand manager or design stylist or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #274
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Wondering if the LCI will have the new PS4S tires? As to the OP, I received a week 25 build and switched to the LCI where I'm first on the list. If I'm lucky enough to get a July build, the timing won't be much different, I'll get the LEDs, some new tech, and maybe some of features everyone has been speculating about. And a price increase... It's a bit of a roll of the dice. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #275
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Wondering if the LCI will have the new PS4S tires? As to the OP, I received a week 25 build and switched to the LCI where I'm first on the list. If I'm lucky enough to get a July build, the timing won't be much different, I'll get the LEDs, some new tech, and maybe some of features everyone has been speculating about. And a price increase... It's a bit of a roll of the dice. Wish me luck.
Don't forget the small power increase to 400 bhp
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
STK215.50
      03-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #276
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Don't forget the small power increase to 400 bhp
where did you hear that nonsense? the lci doesnt get any more power
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #277
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
where did you hear that nonsense? the lci doesnt get any more power
I think it was intended as a joke. Wish it were true.
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      03-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #278
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

Do you really think that Michelin is going to take their hottest new tire and sell it to BMW in mass quantities at a discounted price right away or are they going to sell it to consumers in the market place ??

Ether way , I wish you luck ... but consider ..

Perhaps Michelin sold off as much as their *old stock * of PILOT SS as possible to certain big box clients .. namely BMW ?? in order to clear their factory shelves for a production run of the new tire ..

If that were the case, a manufacturer could get a really good closeout/clearance deal on a lot of tires , and probably will have them around to install for quite a while ..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #279
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Do you really think that Michelin is going to take their hottest new tire and sell it to BMW in mass quantities at a discounted price right away or are they going to sell it to consumers in the market place ??

Perhaps Michelin sold off as much as their *old stock * of PILOT SS as possible to certain big box clients .. namely BMW ?? in order to clear their factory shelves for a production run of the new tire ..

If that were the case, a manufacturer could get a really good closeout/clearance deal on a lot of tires , and probably will have them around to install for quite a while ..
I understand it's quite a long shot but we'll see. You're probably correct since it's unlikely Michelin and BMW developed the PS4S for the current M2.

But I think you have the market wrong. The vast majority of Michelin tires including the PSS and PS4S are developed with the auto OEMs and are sold as original equipment ties. (Just look at the Michelin website.) And yes the big car companies get a discount. The aftermarket is just too small for the kind of investment it takes to make a HP ties and the economies of scale to make the company profitable. The OEM wants their car to ride and handle a certain way, hence the joint development. The average person will replace their OEM tire with the identical tire from the dealership or take a step down esp as the value of the auto falls. It's all about the OEM.

My luck I'll get the Contis.

Last edited by STK; 03-23-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #280
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I understand it's quite a long shot but we'll see. You're probably correct since it's unlikely Michelin and BMW developed the PS4S for the current M2.

But I think you have the market wrong. The vast majority of Michelin tires including the PSS and PS4S are developed with the auto OEMs and are sold as original equipment ties. (Just look at the Michelin website.) And yes the big car companies get a discount. The aftermarket is just too small for the kind of investment it takes to make a HP ties and the economies of scale to make the company profitable. The OEM wants their car to ride and handle a certain way, hence the joint development. The average person will replace their OEM tire with the identical tire from the dealership or take a step down esp as the value of the auto falls. It's all about the OEM.

My luck I'll get the Contis.
Agree with you in many ways on the passenger tire market in general but the P4S is an enthusiasts tire.

It's the one exception to your "Cheaper tire as the car ages" method. Many Enthusiasts often buy higher performance tires than the OEM , and of course indeed they also do replace with the ones that don't go for higher performance will stick with OEM.

However There are already people lined up waiting for this tire with vehicles already. How many E9x M3, F8x M cars , 1M, Porsche Cayman , Boxster , Macan and how many other Porsche models all use the Michelin pilot SS or at least have owned that would be in the market for the P4S. ? Easily most of the performance cars made over the last decade are all potential
Consumer vehicles for this tire.

The market of existing sports cars in the community already is far greater than the OEM manufacturer that is adding cars to the market slowly. And of course those new car owners will tear through their contis and old stock SS and be joining the consumer line for P4S - just like you

Aside from whatever new models end up being designed and marketed with the P4S as the OEM tire.. there is no reason to sell to OEM yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #281
STK
Private First Class
Rep

o
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #282
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agree with you in many ways on the passenger tire market in general but the P4S is an enthusiasts tire.

It's the one exception to your "Cheaper tire as the car ages" method. Many Enthusiasts often buy higher performance tires than the OEM , and of course indeed they also do replace with the ones that don't go for higher performance will stick with OEM.

However There are already people lined up waiting for this tire with vehicles already. How many E9x M3, F8x M cars , 1M, Porsche Cayman , Boxster , Macan and how many other Porsche models all use the Michelin pilot SS or at least have owned that would be in the market for the P4S. ? Easily most of the performance cars made over the last decade are all potential

The market of existing sports cars in the community already is far greater than the OEM manufacturer that is adding cars to the market slowly. And of course those new car owners will tear through their contis and old stock SS and be joining the consumer line for P4S - just like you

Aside from whatever new models end up being designed and marketed with the P4S as the OEM tire.. there is no reason to sell to OEM yet.
Michelin has been doing its best for years to transfer all the high end manufacturers that used PSS as OEM tires for certain models to PS4S since the PSS is being discontinued.. They've been jointly co-developing the tires with the car companies for specific OEM models. That will outnumber the enthusiast aftermarket. Most of the PS4S aftermarket sales will be to non-enthusiasts bringing back their car to the dealership to get the OEM replacement (which btw is a specific PSS for BMW.) Enthusiasts may purchase some of these but just as many will switch to other brands. Just look at the tire section of this site -- there are 5 or 6 alternatives regularly mentioned most of which are less expensive. How many of the M-B owners with OEM PSS are enthusiasts? Enthusiasts are pretty small community at the end of the day. Once the car ages, most people go down not the same or up -- even those that had OEM PSS.

Maybe we should ask the Tire Rack guy?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #283
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I'm poking fun at the point of this thread ... essentially waiting for the next best thing will always leave one waiting as an LCI is followed by a complete re-design... and wait, yes exactly.. another LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #284
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Michelin has been doing its best for years to transfer all the high end manufacturers that used PSS as OEM tires for certain models to PS4S since the PSS is being discontinued.. They've been jointly co-developing the tires with the car companies for specific OEM models. That will outnumber the enthusiast aftermarket. Most of the PS4S aftermarket sales will be to non-enthusiasts bringing back their car to the dealership to get the OEM replacement (which btw is a specific PSS for BMW.) Enthusiasts may purchase some of these but just as many will switch to other brands. Just look at the tire section of this site -- there are 5 or 6 alternatives regularly mentioned most of which are less expensive. How many of the M-B owners with OEM PSS are enthusiasts? Enthusiasts are pretty small community at the end of the day. Once the car ages, most people go down not the same or up -- even those that had OEM PSS.

Maybe we should ask the Tire Rack guy?
Great stuff !! I've actually got a friend at Goodyear I'll see if I can ping him. !!
Appreciate 1
STK215.50
      03-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #285
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great stuff !! I've actually got a friend at Goodyear I'll see if I can ping him. !!
Good idea. Is your thinking is that all the investment in joint development for OEM fitments is advertising for the aftermarket? For example, the PSS was OEM on the M5 and M6. Ultra-HP ties are such a small niche maybe that's how it rolls. And certainly the replacement market as a whole is much larger than OEM but a lot of that is inexpensive low-tier imported tires. Let me know what you find out. I wouldn't want be spreading alternative facts...
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #286
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e46 325ci m-sport coupe

I've been waiting almost a year and was contacted in Feb to say I finally had a build slot. I decided, after the initial shock of finally hearing from the dealer, to cancel and join the queue for an MY18 LCI. What can I say, I'm British... and everyone knows how much we love queuing!
Appreciate 0