BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Going to be in SF area for 2 days - recommendations for places to see and eat

03-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #23
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I live in SF. PM me if your around. I live by the ocean
I'd skip the dinner and take up this offer. You'd get to see the coolest 1'r in the country.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #24
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

If you like pizza try Little Star Pizza on Divisadero.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #25
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddtt View Post
I'd skip the dinner and take up this offer. You'd get to see the coolest 1'r in the country.
How do you know?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #26
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
How do you know?
How many other BMW 1'ers have you seen featured on Jay Leno's garage?

Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:

Wow cool car and cool hairdo.

Maybe next time I'm in the city for drinks I'll see if he'd like to meet up so i can check it out. Haha
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #28
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Damn it, I should've asked if anyone was in sf too. I think chatting with you and seeing your car would've made my entire trip. Truly inspirational.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #29
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

IMHO, focus on the stuff that is hard to replicate anywhere else. SF does mediocre Italian but shines in Seafood/sushi/ethnic cuisine/wine. Tadich Grill is one of the (and my) favorite SF institutions. House of Prime Rib also good. Another is Scoma's for mostly seafood (all 3 are old school places, Scoma's a little more crusty though). For something more modern with an awesome view, go to Slanted Door (Vietnamese influenced) restaurant in the Ferry Building. Also in the Ferry building is an outpost of the Napa institution Gott's Roadside, famous for the quintessential California burgers and high end wine combo. Hog Island Oyster Co (with fresh oysters from Tomales Bay) also in the same location and is excellent (and also better for lunch).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Ate at Sushi Ran the other day and I enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #31
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Wow, would be interested in this for sure. I seen Matt Farah drive your car around. I'll PM you seeing how my plans go.
      03-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Wow cool car and cool hairdo.

Maybe next time I'm in the city for drinks I'll see if he'd like to meet up so i can check it out. Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Damn it, I should've asked if anyone was in sf too. I think chatting with you and seeing your car would've made my entire trip. Truly inspirational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Wow, would be interested in this for sure. I seen Matt Farah drive your car around. I'll PM you seeing how my plans go.
If anyone is in SF and wants to see the car, I can show it. A handful of people have stopped by to see it and go for a ride.
Appreciate 1
muddtt107.50
      03-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
If anyone is in SF and wants to see the car, I can show it. A handful of people have stopped by to see it and go for a ride.
Wow, I live in SF and I haven't seen this car!
      03-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #34
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this thread is officially about to get hijacked.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #35
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:

Ow nice. I didn't know it's this guy.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #36
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Going to be out in Cali ....
Just don't say Cali during your interview unless you are referring to that city in Columbia.

Hope you get the job of your dreams. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #37
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Have breakfast at Brenda's Soul Food. Go early.

652 Polk St, San Francisco, CA 94102
      03-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

How did it go OP? Did you like the Bay Area?
Appreciate 1
bahasad327.00
      03-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #39
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did it go OP? Did you like the Bay Area?
Thanks for asking, I was actually going to post back. I just came back tonight. Thoughts/Impressions:
- Sunday: I spent all day in SF - Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Bridge, In-n-out, Highway 1, Hog Island Oyster Company, and yes, I checked out Marco's S65 1-series. Shout out to him and his girlfriend, super down to earth and very nice guy. Highly recommend it. Port of SF
- Monday: Interview, Google Campus, Apple Campus, Santana Row (Rained all day so was limited in what I could do)

Overall, I loved it. I never thought I'd say it, being from the east coast all my life and having never ventured past Chicago (I did go to Tucson when I was very young). The weather, landscape, people, San Fran, roads are fantastic, car scene, the beach. I want to live here but I know the costs associated with it - the high cost of living is true and the traffic.

The interview was crazy. 8 interviews back to back. 30 minutes each. Manager after manager.

I will be back, and thanks to everybody for the suggestions.
      03-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #40
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

So you didn't take my breakfast recommendation?!?

Jerk.

03-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for asking, I was actually going to post back. I just came back tonight. Thoughts/Impressions:
- Sunday: I spent all day in SF - Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Bridge, In-n-out, Highway 1, Hog Island Oyster Company, and yes, I checked out Marco's S65 1-series. Shout out to him and his girlfriend, super down to earth and very nice guy. Highly recommend it. Port of SF
- Monday: Interview, Google Campus, Apple Campus, Santana Row (Rained all day so was limited in what I could do)

Overall, I loved it. I never thought I'd say it, being from the east coast all my life and having never ventured past Chicago (I did go to Tucson when I was very young). The weather, landscape, people, San Fran, roads are fantastic, car scene, the beach. I want to live here but I know the costs associated with it - the high cost of living is true and the traffic.

The interview was crazy. 8 interviews back to back. 30 minutes each. Manager after manager.

I will be back, and thanks to everybody for the suggestions.
Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Let's meet up next time you're here. Was busy this weekend studying for an exam, otherwise I would have met you up at SRow. Every other month, on a 3rd Saturday (maybe last Sat?) they have a display of all exotice cars. Pretty cool to just stop by and have coffee in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #42
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Let's meet up next time you're here. Was busy this weekend studying for an exam, otherwise I would have met you up at SRow. Every other month, on a 3rd Saturday (maybe last Sat?) they have a display of all exotice cars. Pretty cool to just stop by and have coffee in the morning.
Yup, for sure. It sucks that this trip was so short and I only had 1 day to do touristy things, but can't complain, especially since they covered most of the costs. It was after all, a work trip technically.

I wanna move here but the high COL and taxes is concerning to me.
      03-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #43
elusive303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e36 m3 turbo, e92 m3

Quote:
Yup, for sure. It sucks that this trip was so short and I only had 1 day to do touristy things, but can't complain, especially since they covered most of the costs. It was after all, a work trip technically.

I wanna move here but the high COL and taxes is concerning to me.
If you're single or don't have kids you should just do it. Anyone that works in IT or has a passion for IT owes it to themselves to work in the Valley at least once in their lives. Yes, the COL is high and you'll be house poor but the experiences and relationships you'll build will be well worth it.

Once you establish yourself with Apple or any one of the big companies for that matter, you won't ever have a lack of opportunities. You'll constantly get bombarded with job opportunities from competitors like FB, Google and endless startups/pre-IPOs. Since Apple is global you'll always have the opportunity to change teams or transfer to another office location if you really wanted to.

Also, the salaries there are typically higher than anywhere else in the world, after working there for a few years your base salary will be significantly higher than in other cities. Then, when you do decide to move you can use always use this to negotiate and command a high salary elsewhere.

I did the same thing back in 2011 and moved to the Bay Area. It was sticker shock for housing but it was the best career/personal decision I could of ever made. It really opened my eyes to how great companies are ran. I learned so much and most importantly learned to assess my "value" properly. I have since moved to the Pacific Northwest(kind of like the new valley) due to the COL since my wife and I are planning to start a family. I just visit every few months now to work with my team there. My one piece of advice is even though it seems expensive and absurd, try to finding housing close to the office. The cost savings of living further our for cheaper housing is going to kill you with commute times and/or shitty neighborhoods.

Last edited by elusive303; 03-24-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #44
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive303 View Post

I did the same thing back in 2011 and moved to the Bay Area. It was sticker shock for housing but it was the best career/personal decision I could of ever made. It really opened my eyes to how great companies are ran. I learned so much and most importantly learned to access my "value" properly. I have since moved to the Pacific Northwest(kind of like the new valley) due to the COL since my wife and I are planning to start a family. I just visit every few months now to work with my team there. My one piece of advice is even though it seems expensive and absurd, try to finding housing close to the office. The cost savings of living further our for cheaper housing is going to kill you with commute times and/or shitty neighborhoods.
It's all pretty relative... being an SF native, I think the costs are not too bad. I guess it's a bit lower for me because my family and friends are all here. Cook at home and live a low key lifestyle, no need to go party and blow money on drinks. I have a garage to park in and work on my car on the weekends. I'm typically ok living in ethnic suburban areas in SF as I'm used to it. I know a lot of people want to live in the middle of the city next to their office in downtown... it's typically not worth it.

Out in Silicon Valley, there's a ton of cheaper housing as people rent out rooms or split rent on single family houses. Avoid apartment complexes, they'll raise the rent a ton after a year because they want you to move out so they can rent it for more. A good gauge of rent should be craigslist. Meals are subsidized at Apple so you don't need to worry about meal cost that much. Just get a lunch and take it home for dinner.
Appreciate 0