BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE sales has stopped, new one is coming in Q1 2017

01-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #67
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I just placed an order for my M2 with the M perf package and became concerned that this v2 of the MPE would cause a delay. I called both the dealer and BMW genius but both weren't aware of this change to the exhaust nor availability issues. They stated I was still on track for a week 8 build and no foreseeable delays. From what I've gathered this is a port installed item and my car should hit the dock in March. Any insight on how this would work, do cars ordered with MPE take precedence over purchasing afterwards as it's released?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #68
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Well, they kind of do... They make the Alpina exhausts.
Those are Akrapovic exhausts on a 6-Series.... They have Akra batches and all.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #69
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Those are Akrapovic exhausts on a 6-Series.... They have Akra batches and all.

MR
You said they don't make OEM exhaust. Alpina is a car manufacturer that uses exhaust from Akrapovic on many of their models. So in other words... Akrapovic makes OEM exhausts.

I said "kind of".
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #70
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
You said they don't make OEM exhaust. Alpina is a car manufacturer that uses exhaust from Akrapovic on many of their models. So in other words... Akrapovic makes OEM exhausts.

I said "kind of".
Yea, but it's not the full blown titanium version. I have test driven Alpine B and D3. Didn't sound as raw than the F80's M-OEM exhaust...
      01-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #71
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Yeah I think it sounds better than Akra due to single pipe design. This and HJS Hi-flow 300 cell cat is going to be magic, I cannot wait
With the revised model coming in March all my concerns are gone, happy times!
What revised model?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #72
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Yeah I think it sounds better than Akra due to single pipe design. This and HJS Hi-flow 300 cell cat is going to be magic, I cannot wait
With the revised model coming in March all my concerns are gone, happy times!
What revised model?
There is no revised model confirmed, just speculation so far. I don't think there will be any changes at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #73
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
There is no revised model confirmed, just speculation so far. I don't think there will be any changes at all.
That's exactly what I thought!

I have the MPE and before that on the 1m I had the supersprint full system and it vibrated at start up and I tell you, everyone who hears the m2 start absolutely loves it, the vibrations sound just like the 1m did, and the same as the group B rally cars sounded on cold start up.

If you listen to the e92m3 starting up it sounds like there are loose bolts in the exhaust, until it's warm, but all this adds to the character...

I love the MPE its a great exhaust and one thing I'm not sure about, is how you would revise such a straight forward excellent exhaust, yeah you could copy akrapovic and go twin pipes on centre section but this will add weight and probably cost.

They have probably just struggled to meet demand and they need an order break to prep more exhausts.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8714.50
      01-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #74
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I have the MPE and before that on the 1m I had the supersprint full system and it vibrated at start up and I tell you, everyone who hears the m2 start absolutely loves it, the vibrations sound just like the 1m did, and the same as the group B rally cars sounded on cold start up.

If you listen to the e92m3 starting up it sounds like there are loose bolts in the exhaust, until it's warm, but all this adds to the character...

I love the MPE its a great exhaust and one thing I'm not sure about, is how you would revise such a straight forward excellent exhaust, yeah you could copy akrapovic and go twin pipes on centre section but this will add weight and probably cost.

They have probably just struggled to meet demand and they need an order break to prep more exhausts.
According to this...

https://www.baum-bmwshop24.de/bmw-m-...7-18302412432/

Translated to English:

* The exhaust system is currently being reworked by BMW, the reason being vibrations on the tailpipes. The revised version will be available from March! *

No further authorization documents are necessary for the sports mode. The silencer is approved for operation on public roads.
When using the track mode on public roads, the license expires in accordance with the StVZO (Road Traffic Regulations).
      01-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #75
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
According to this...

Translated to English:

* The exhaust system is currently being reworked by BMW, the reason being vibrations on the tailpipes. The revised version will be available from March! *

No further authorization documents are necessary for the sports mode. The silencer is approved for operation on public roads.
When using the track mode on public roads, the license expires in accordance with the StVZO (Road Traffic Regulations).
Ok, so they are making changes to stop the vibration, happy days, no need to panic about it being improved. Thanks for hat info
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #76
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I just took delivery of an M2 with a port installed MPE. Only 50 miles on the car but no rattle on cold start up. It doesn't appear to be a stop on production in the US.

It's on the louder side but sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #77
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
Quote:

According to this...

Translated to English:

My car just went into production anticipate port delivery in March. Assuming I will get new MPE? Ordered with m performance package.
      02-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #78
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
No drone on my exhaust and it sounds great when fully open.. Not sure on the open close issues though... I ain't noticed anything but will keep an eye on it.
it has nothing to do with drone. the issue was/is vibration at cold start. watch the tail pipes:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #79
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Anyone heard any update on availability of MPE?

If its still on track for Q1 then we should be seeing something next few weeks I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #80
austinhuffzz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2002 imola/cinnamon e46 M3

Garage List
2002 bmw m3  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335i  [0.00]
My M2 was sitting on the dealer floor when i bought it. It was built with the droney MPE. Do we think BMW will warrenty the cost of a replacement or am I fucked
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #81
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhuffzz View Post
My M2 was sitting on the dealer floor when i bought it. It was built with the droney MPE. Do we think BMW will warrenty the cost of a replacement or am I fucked
The later.
      03-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #82
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Just worried about ordering one or buying one and end up getting the old part instead of a newer model. I guess no updates on a newer version yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #83
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Just worried about ordering one or buying one and end up getting the old part instead of a newer model. I guess no updates on a newer version yet.
Well my car arrived at port yesterday and is having mpe installed at the port. I'll let you know in a couple weeks!
      03-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #84
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Me and my friends prefer the sound of the Akrapovic. But that is not the same as to say that it is worth the extra money for it just for the sound. Akrapovic with catted DP sounds even better but will be twice as much as MPE.

If money isn't an object I would go with Akrapovic. But if you want the best value the MPE is a no-brainer.
For me personally; I think a MPE is not even worth the extra money on a M2. For that amount of money it does noting about the performance or the handling of the car. It only makes an already good sounding car louder (read; more show off). IMO; the standard exhaust already sounds great in sport and sport + and is more then loud enough. I see zero reason why I would want this exhaust any louder on the street? It's a BMW M that is designed for daily usage and the occasional trackday. It's not a limited edition trackday special were a louder exhaust could maybe be an extra value...if it delivered something more then only more sound (for example an increase in hp). Sorry; in my opinion the MPE exhaust is a waist of money on the M2 and I would invest in something that actually upgrades the car in the way it drives or better performance...
      03-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #85
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
For me personally; I think a MPE is not even worth the extra money on a M2. For that amount of money it does noting about the performance or the handling of the car. It only makes an already good sounding car louder (read; more show off). IMO; the standard exhaust already sounds great in sport and sport + and is more then loud enough. I see zero reason why I would want this exhaust any louder on the street? It's a BMW M that is designed for daily usage and the occasional trackday. It's not a limited edition trackday special were a louder exhaust could maybe be an extra value...if it delivered something more then only more sound (for example an increase in hp). Sorry; in my opinion the MPE exhaust is a waist of money on the M2 and I would invest in something that actually upgrades the car in the way it drives or better performance...
OK.
Appreciate 1
J.M262.50
      03-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #86
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Anyone heard any news on the availability of the updated MPE?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #87
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Anyone heard any news on the availability of the updated MPE?
End of March, should get a new part number as well.

I've place an order for one and my dealer is checking weekly and updating me.
Prodigy.697.50
      03-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #88
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

Availability

Was at my dealer last Friday for ordering a few extras for my car which is arriving this Wednesday
Asking for the MPE they said it would be available on the 3rd or 4th of April.
200 of the 400 built were already taken by people siting on the waiting list since it was discontinued.
Appreciate 1
ryem31042.00