BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > From Break-In Service to Body Shop?

12-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
skyline_m2
Rep
Drives: M2

From Break-In Service to Body Shop?

Last week I brought my m2 in for the scheduled break-in service. When I picked it up the next day and drove it home I noticed a weird noise coming from the windshield/dashboard on the passenger side. It generally happened whenever I was driving over uneven pavement, e.g. potholes, banked roads, etc. It sounded like a popping/adhesive becoming unstuck noise. I initially thought it was the temporary ID the dealership I bought the car from stuck to the windshield, so a few days later (I don't drive it everyday) I took the sticker off just to make sure, lo and behold the noise was still happening. I emailed the dealership and informed them that this noise has been happening ever since I picked it up (I had the car for 2 weeks before brining it in to the dealership, and never once heard that noise). I took it back in and did a road test w/ a technician to demonstrate the noise. They took it in and said they'd investigate.

Three days later, after I emailed them asking why there hadn't been any updates I get a call from the dealership and they finally tell me that the issue is w/ two metal pieces in the roof. It's a factory defect and that they're sending it to a body shop to get repaired (they don't do body shop at the dealership). This is all covered by the warranty. I'm also told that one of the pieces they need will take 15 days to arrive.

What troubles me is that this noise only started happening AFTER I brought it in for service. The car is essentially still brand new, I picked it up from the dealership less than a month ago to this day. And it's being sent to a body shop for repair? Any advice on what I should do, if anything, would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get a carbon fiber roof installed on the cheap/ free.
Appreciate 2
Joaozao188.50
      12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_m2 View Post
Last week I brought my m2 in for the scheduled break-in service. When I picked it up the next day and drove it home I noticed a weird noise coming from the windshield/dashboard on the passenger side. It generally happened whenever I was driving over uneven pavement, e.g. potholes, banked roads, etc. It sounded like a popping/adhesive becoming unstuck noise. I initially thought it was the temporary ID the dealership I bought the car from stuck to the windshield, so a few days later (I don't drive it everyday) I took the sticker off just to make sure, lo and behold the noise was still happening. I emailed the dealership and informed them that this noise has been happening ever since I picked it up (I had the car for 2 weeks before brining it in to the dealership, and never once heard that noise). I took it back in and did a road test w/ a technician to demonstrate the noise. They took it in and said they'd investigate.

Three days later, after I emailed them asking why there hadn't been any updates I get a call from the dealership and they finally tell me that the issue is w/ two metal pieces in the roof. It's a factory defect and that they're sending it to a body shop to get repaired (they don't do body shop at the dealership). This is all covered by the warranty. I'm also told that one of the pieces they need will take 15 days to arrive.

What troubles me is that this noise only started happening AFTER I brought it in for service. The car is essentially still brand new, I picked it up from the dealership less than a month ago to this day. And it's being sent to a body shop for repair? Any advice on what I should do, if anything, would be greatly appreciated.
wait 15 days and pick your car up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
lambrighinimercy
Rep
Drives: E24 635csi F87 M2

What you should do? Nothing, they are fixing the problem. Pick your car up when it's done.
      12-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Bear in mind that there have been some F22s which had failed spot welds in the roof. You may want to ask your dealer if that's what happened to your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
skyline_m2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Bear in mind that there have been some F22s which had failed spot welds in the roof. You may want to ask your dealer if that's what happened to your car.
I didn't know that. I'll check next time I speak to them.

Minor update: the final part was somehow delayed a week and now there's zero chance I'll have the car in my possession before I go home for the holidays. At this rate the car would've spent a full month in the shop, after a mere two weeks of actually having it in my possession. I've decided to just let them do their job. I just really hope when I get the car back there are no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #7
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

BMW in the shop? Get used to it!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't know that. I'll check next time I speak to them.

Minor update: the final part was somehow delayed a week and now there's zero chance I'll have the car in my possession before I go home for the holidays. At this rate the car would've spent a full month in the shop, after a mere two weeks of actually having it in my possession. I've decided to just let them do their job. I just really hope when I get the car back there are no more issues.
It would be interesting to find out what "part" they're replacing. I'm guessing you're in the USA, so your car won't have a sunroof. There aren't exactly a lot of replaceable parts in a fixed roof.

If it's the spot weld issue, the repair for that doesn't require any new parts. However, they do have to remove and replace the headliner, and doing so without damaging it is tricky.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
skyline_m2
Rep

Another update, the part has been delayed again making it 14 days delayed and counting. At this point the dealership has had the car in its possession longer than I have. When I spoke to the service person on the phone they did not have an updated delivery date as of yet.

After asking again for more detailed information about the repair I was told that they were going to replace the ENTIRE roof, which is a more invasive repair than I originally thought. This is the first car I've owned so I'm not too sure what the protocol is here. Honestly I'm beyond frustrated at this point, they'll have had the car in their possession for 30 days soon, and California's Lemon Law starts to kick in (from what I've read). Some folks say I should email BMW directly, others say I should wait and see what the car is like after the repair, what do you all think I should do?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
Ramon.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Me personally, I'd buy a carbon roof panel and ask them to just install that instead. Or work something out for them to buy the panel.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon. View Post
Me personally, I'd buy a carbon roof panel and ask them to just install that instead. Or work something out for them to buy the panel.
Seriously? If you found out your brand-new car had a bunch of bad welds, you wouldn't be concerned about other possible body integrity issues?

OP, I suggest you contact BMW NA directly. The M2 is very important to their image, it's had justifiably great reviews, and they probably want to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, OP, I hope they've arranged for alternate transportation, e.g. a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

I'd have BMW NA on the phone yesterday, unacceptable, period. Shoulda been waiting for a new M2, pray you dont have water leaks now. Very sorry to hear about this.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
skyline_m2
Rep

Quote:
BTW, OP, I hope they've arranged for alternate transportation, e.g. a loaner.
They have, I've been driving around an entry level 330i for the past month.

Happy New Year's everyone! I've got an update:

I took you guys' advice and contacted BMW NA, I've been assigned a Case Manager who's going to look into it for me and see what compensation options there are? I unfortunately missed their call today due to a lunch meeting and am awaiting their call back.

I emailed the Service Manager yesterday to see if there were any updates and her response was that they contacted BMW Technical Parts Group and are awaiting a response. She asked me if I would like to get a new loaner. I was completely fed up after reading that and responded saying that this is completely unacceptable and that I will be speaking to BMW NA directly about the situation.

Today she calls me and lets me know the the replacement roof has arrived and that my car is already at the body shop.

With that being said, I should be getting my car back by the end of this week if not the beginning of next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:23 AM   #15
skyline_m2
Rep

Update:
Still don't have the vehicle in my possession. I inquired about the vehicle 2 days after I was told it was sent to the body shop and the 2-3 days I was originally quoted for the turn around time at the body shop when all this started suddenly turned into 2.5 weeks. I'm supposed to get the car this week will circle back then, suffice it to say my patience is running thin.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #16
skyline_m2
Rep

Sorry for lack of updates. It ended up taking the dealership about 3 weeks to get it back to me after they delivered it to the bodyshop. I finally got my car back after 7 weeks - with a punctured rear tire no less. The low air pressure warning light came on about 30 min after driving the car. I stupidly figured it was just a random warning so I put air in the tire and went about the rest of my day. By the time I realized the tire had a puncture I had had the car in my possesion for about 3 days and had no real hope of convincing the dealership that it was their fault. So that was another $400 down the drain to get it fixed. I'm talking to BMW now to see what my options are. It's pretty clear that this is a lemon
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for lack of updates. It ended up taking the dealership about 3 weeks to get it back to me after they delivered it to the bodyshop. I finally got my car back after 7 weeks - with a punctured rear tire no less. The low air pressure warning light came on about 30 min after driving the car. I stupidly figured it was just a random warning so I put air in the tire and went about the rest of my day. By the time I realized the tire had a puncture I had had the car in my possesion for about 3 days and had no real hope of convincing the dealership that it was their fault. So that was another $400 down the drain to get it fixed. I'm talking to BMW now to see what my options are. It's pretty clear that this is a lemon
Sounds to me like you have a good case for a buyback, but I'm not an expert. I think you should also rake your dealer over the coals with BMW NA. They should have kept you apprised of everything that went on, every step of the way. That includes what, exactly, they had to do the car, plus all communications with BMW NA - I can guarantee that with a body integrity issue like this there was what's called a "PUMA" file opened on your car.

At this point, the dealer should fix your tire free, as a good will gesture - once again, that's my opinion. I'd also try to avoid lemon law, but let BMW know you'd go that route if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #18
skyline_m2
Rep

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have a good case for a buyback, but I'm not an expert. I think you should also rake your dealer over the coals with BMW NA. They should have kept you apprised of everything that went on, every step of the way. That includes what, exactly, they had to do the car, plus all communications with BMW NA - I can guarantee that with a body integrity issue like this there was what's called a "PUMA" file opened on your car.

At this point, the dealer should fix your tire free, as a good will gesture - once again, that's my opinion. I'd also try to avoid lemon law, but let BMW know you'd go that route if necessary.
Why would you avoid the lemon law if you don't mind my asking. They've agreed to adhere to California's Lemon Law and offer me a refund (I tried a replacement but no dice). They did also offer me ~8k to keep the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would you avoid the lemon law if you don't mind my asking. They've agreed to adhere to California's Lemon Law and offer me a refund (I tried a replacement but no dice). They did also offer me ~8k to keep the car as well.
Invoking lemon law often involves lawyers, money, and time. The fact that they offered you a buyback is good. So, in your case there is no reason to invoke lemon law, IMHO.

It was still a crappy thing to go through, and you have my sympathies.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Question

Quote:
Sorry if I missed it ... but did the dealer tell you exactly what the body shop did to repair your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
...if they are willing to refund the purchase price, why is a replacement off the table?
Appreciate 0