BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Top Gear Twin Test: M2 versus Audi TT RS

02-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #155
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Why not sit back, sip a beer, chill for a few months and get a 2 seat version of the above (probably) which might even include the OLED tail lights?

I'm pretty sure that's he's just discribed the Z5...
Beer tastes horrible haha!

I'm sure that the Z5 will look great, however the Z4 of recent years have had horrible reviews everywhere ... I have Highhope's for this rendition. Let's see how much power it will offer and at what price.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #156
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
Beer tastes horrible haha!
TT RS best car ever in the whole universe, doesn't like beer: Why I'm not surprised at all!?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #157
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
TT RS best car ever in the whole universe, doesn't like beer: Why I'm not surprised at all!?

Cheers
Robin
I'm sure he prefers rosé wine just like most other Audi TT drivers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #158
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Why would I like beer? What does that have to do with anything?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #159
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I'm sure he prefers rosé wine just like most other Audi TT drivers.
Wtf?

All alcohol tastes like shit, what are you guys going on about?

Pointless as fuck comments...jesus.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #160
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm starting to understand the whole prejudice with BMW drivers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #161
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Good. Because your sig says you drive an M2. You are clearly a mole
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #162
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Good. Because your sig says you drive an M2. You are clearly a mole
I'm still researching what I'm going to buy, but I definitely do not identify myself as one of you

Enjoy that beer belly though!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #163
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
I'm still researching what I'm going to buy, but I definitely do not identify myself as one of you

I'd be ashamed if you did!
We enjoy driving our sub-par cars with a smile on our face....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #164
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Question:

For those that don't really track their car, is there a benefit to streering feel and chassis benefits from the M2? Just curious.

The TT is one entire second faster, from 0-62mph, it completely wrecks the M2, M4, Cayman S etc, in road, while looking the best from outside (subjective), sounding the best (not subjective, we all know it sounds better) and giving you a special feeling when you get in that cabin, whereas the M2, you get it and feel, welp, 2 series!

It is interesting, not having attractive seats, or the attractive version of CF (open pore looks cheap and many hate it), but feeling "wanting to come back" because of the fun.

Why doesn't BMW make a more luxury oriented compact, a la TT RS? Would the M2 CS increase in inside styling, as to be a COMPLETE PACKAGE?

Can't be that hard BMW!
Another view from an Audi fanboi...
1. I've had 4 Audi's and loved them. All this "Audi's understeer, terrible handling etc" is just rubbish, and with a bit of chassis tuning (depending on the car, springs, bars shocks, tires & alignment) they are really fun and can fling them around. If you've never raced a good FWD or AWD car, you have no idea what you are talking about RWD being "better" on track. The troll pictures above of the little rear brakes was stupid.. the rears are as big as they need to me. The fronts are huge (6 piston?)

2. I've been racing (Road/Circuit) for more than 20 years. Both of my current race cars are RWD, but I've raced Mid-engine and FWD too. Where the engine sits hasn't influenced my race finishes - all can be just fine on track. Remember they Banned Audi from racing due to them cleaning house with AWD, despite smaller engines and lower HP? Also, how a street car performs on track is meaningless. Unless you are a real racer you wont get enough out of the car on the track to matter, and if you are, what are you doing wasting time and money with a street car on the track anyway? Proper race cars are so much better and a lot cheaper than a street car on the track.

3. The TTRS is not really an apples-apples comparison for the M2 as it is more expensive and more a 2 seater. The upcoming RS3 Sedan will be a much more fair comparison.

With all that said above, I love that motor but just don't like the price, or how the TTRS looks. The interior is way better, and I love the front, but the side and rear view are not attractive and can't get a manual. M2 wins on looks and ability to get a manual. I think the M2 is better looking than the RS3 sedan too. I like the Cayman S, but its too expensive for its performance. In the end, the track numbers, "pro" opinions etc. just don't matter. It is amusing how defensive people are here and all the lame excuses, but what do you like? Everybody has a different mission.. just go with what you like and quit trying to justify deficiencies with your ego and self-image. I was all geared up to get an M2, but can't seem to get an allocation so am shopping a used R8.. I'd love an M2 and not shopping the TTRS or Cayman but I'm sure I won't be unhappy with the R8

Last edited by Spinnetti; 02-17-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 4
Destroya371.00
flyaway140.50
ryem31041.00
S1monQc223.50
      02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #165
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:

Enjoy that beer belly though!
Maybe you should buy this Audi!

I think it blends in perfectly with your great personality and endless knowledge

Last edited by Dav3; 02-17-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 3
BruceM983.00
Robin_NL8679.50
S1monQc223.50
      02-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #166
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Maybe you should buy this Audi!

I think it blends in perfectly with your great personality and endless knowledge
LOL just like the guy above you. He must definitely be Walter Röhrl.
*Deep bow*

(Well I've tracked my '99 Subaru Impreza GTT, Audi S3, E46 M3, E90 M3, 1M, M2 and I'm doing driftdays with them. It's nice to see what a streetcar can do on a track. Each to their own. 1M, M2 are fantastic imho.)

But I sir, I know nothing. So I'm glad you're back and please tell me more about your driving experiences in many cars and how good you are at it. Because from you I will learn sir.

I only know the rear brakes of a TT RS ARE way too small and the car is slower on a small wet track than an A45 AMG .....

I also know there is much misinformation in this thread, about wintertyres vs summertyres, presented as facts. Even 'better' exhaust sound is presented as a fact.

What is it with this trolling. M2 stands for driving fun, smile on your face, a fantastic chassis, steering,brakes and a nice motor in a nice package, that combo is balanced. And it has its flaws too off course.

But in any review I read the TTRS has not the balance Audi is searching for.
It has a nice sound(but I prefer my MPE straight six), the exterior is not MY cup of tea, the chassis is just a VAG chassis with the engine hanging over the front axle. No adjustability, playability. No real balance in it like the M2 has.

BUT: It goes 0-60 in 3 seconds. And that's why it is the better car. Case closed.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00
Dav3946.50
      02-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #167
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The over compensation for having the same interior as a $25,000 2 series is real 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #168
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Almost as real as the overcompensation for not having any of the cars under discussion.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #169
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Almost as real as the overcompensation for not having any of the cars under discussion.
It's OK, the more I wait the better the car will be

I'll check back the forums when the GC comes out or if I can afford the TT RS With a few of those mentioned modifications that will make it just about better than any BMW ever, although, of course not stock - but I would never leave my car just stock anyways!

Three cheers for chassis tuning, luxury interiors, amazing 5cyl sound...AND OLEDS (just had to include it).

Three cheers for the perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #170
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Why has everyone been feeding this (likely very young) troll in all these threads. Just ignore him so he'll shrivel up and die already...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #171
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Another view from an Audi fanboi...
1. I've had 4 Audi's and loved them. All this "Audi's understeer, terrible handling etc" is just rubbish, and with a bit of chassis tuning (depending on the car, springs, bars shocks, tires & alignment) they are really fun and can fling them around. If you've never raced a good FWD or AWD car, you have no idea what you are talking about RWD being "better" on track. The troll pictures above of the little rear brakes was stupid.. the rears are as big as they need to me. The fronts are huge (6 piston?)

2. I've been racing (Road/Circuit) for more than 20 years. Both of my current race cars are RWD, but I've raced Mid-engine and FWD too. Where the engine sits hasn't influenced my race finishes - all can be just fine on track. Remember they Banned Audi from racing due to them cleaning house with AWD, despite smaller engines and lower HP? Also, how a street car performs on track is meaningless. Unless you are a real racer you wont get enough out of the car on the track to matter, and if you are, what are you doing wasting time and money with a street car on the track anyway? Proper race cars are so much better and a lot cheaper than a street car on the track.

3. The TTRS is not really an apples-apples comparison for the M2 as it is more expensive and more a 2 seater. The upcoming RS3 Sedan will be a much more fair comparison.

With all that said above, I love that motor but just don't like the price, or how the TTRS looks. The interior is way better, and I love the front, but the side and rear view are not attractive and can't get a manual. M2 wins on looks and ability to get a manual. I think the M2 is better looking than the RS3 sedan too. I like the Cayman S, but its too expensive for its performance. In the end, the track numbers, "pro" opinions etc. just don't matter. It is amusing how defensive people are here and all the lame excuses, but what do you like? Everybody has a different mission.. just go with what you like and quit trying to justify deficiencies with your ego and self-image. I was all geared up to get an M2, but can't seem to get an allocation so am shopping a used R8.. I'd love an M2 and not shopping the TTRS or Cayman but I'm sure I won't be unhappy with the R8
I definitely prefer the M2 but I totally agree with the above
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #172
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
I don't think you do. My M2 is only my second BMW. I had an R90S back in the day.

I considered a TTRS, and like the concept.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever.

Did you ever stop to think its not prejudice, and that it might be you?
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      03-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #173
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
It's OK, the more I wait the better the car will be

I'll check back the forums when the GC comes out or if I can afford the TT RS With a few of those mentioned modifications that will make it just about better than any BMW ever, although, of course not stock - but I would never leave my car just stock anyways!

Three cheers for chassis tuning, luxury interiors, amazing 5cyl sound...AND OLEDS (just had to include it).

Three cheers for the perfect car.
14 year old detected.

Stop feeding the obvious troll, people.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #174
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post

You are so right. After strolling through the whole thread, is is the real relevant comment. The RS3 will be about the same price. The 400 hp 5 cyl motor. Likely to be faster than the m2. All of the TTRS benefits with better styling. For the same price, 4wd, tft dash, led headlights, optional CERAMICS, and a bunch of nice colors, optional painted calipers, and a great looking interior. ( OK, optioned out, more expensive, but not by much) Handling dynamics will be a deciding factor - I'm not necessarily thinking of picking an rs3 over an m2, they might make nice stable mates.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #175
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
they might make nice stable mates.
I would agree...having an M2 and a RS3 as a nice sedan / foul weather car would be a fantastic combo
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #176
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
You are so right. After strolling through the whole thread, is is the real relevant comment. The RS3 will be about the same price. The 400 hp 5 cyl motor. Likely to be faster than the m2. All of the TTRS benefits with better styling. For the same price, 4wd, tft dash, led headlights, optional CERAMICS, and a bunch of nice colors, optional painted calipers, and a great looking interior. ( OK, optioned out, more expensive, but not by much) Handling dynamics will be a deciding factor - I'm not necessarily thinking of picking an rs3 over an m2, they might make nice stable mates.
Same price? Check out the as-tested price of the S3...more than a base M2.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review
Appreciate 0