BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Top Gear Twin Test: M2 versus Audi TT RS

02-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #133
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles
Audi TT RS v Mercedes-AMG A45 v Ford Focus RS | Ultimate all-weather Audi TT RS review | Autocar

AMG A45 beats the TTRS on a tight paved wet course.
Wrong and biased review the ttrs will destroy and wreck the A45 simply it lost because it had summer tires while the A45 has winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:12 AM   #134
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
Wrong and biased review the ttrs will destroy and wreck the A45 simply it lost because it had summer tires while the A45 has winters.
It is just a stupid test in general, not like anyone will use those rally-type dirt roads on $70,000 luxury sport cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #135
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

A guy from Puerto Rico and a guy from S.Arabia mentioning the difference between summer and wintertyres. LOL!
We don't know the outside/asphalt temperature in that video, only that it's partially(very) wet. And good summertyres will do a lot of good when let's say at +5 degrees Celsius. Been there done that.

Marketing strikes again

Wintertyres are best in snowy conditions, wet they will do the job but not like a good summertyre (that's why I have them on now no snow hahaha)

Cheers
Robin
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #136
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

AAAAND.......tadaaaaa....

Matt Saunders, the Autocar test bloke also replied in the YouTube comments below:

Quote:
Guys, why would anyone assume we'd go out of our way to put one car on performance tyres & another on winters & then pretend we were making a fair test? You think we've got time for that nonsense? All cars were on OE fit performance rubber (ie not winters) as supplied by their manufacturers.
So there you go.

Anybody wants some coffee?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2017, 03:44 AM   #137
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The whole tire debate aside, the sub-par chassis of the TTRS from this particular reviewer stood out to me. $70k USD would be so much better spent on a 718S. Unless, of course, you absolutely need a "backseat" for little people.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #138
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

From the Topgear twintest link( OP, first page) I'll mention it again:

page 21/22 from that test, utter utter nonsense if you ask me!
Quote:
It’s somehow less disappointing that the Audi has numb steering and over-servoed brakes, that it’s not particularly entertaining beyond the eye-drying quantity of its performance. Because it’s a TT. Be honest, it’s never the sharpest tool in the box, the TT. But this RS is the most entertaining one Audi’s ever built. Awkwardly, it’s still not got as sparkling a chassis as a fast Golf, with which it shares so much engineering. Weird.

That said, it’s not going to keep you coming back for more smiles as often as the best BMW to currently wear the ///M tricolore. The M2 is good enough to rise above forgone conclusion semantics. It is infectiously fun: part M-car throwback, part modern day hero. It doesn’t feel the most modern inside, or the most sophisticated an object, but driving a machine that aches for you to have a laugh will never go out of fashion.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #139
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Robin, I think you nailed it. Thank you!

I thought about the TTRS in large part because of snow and the need for four seats. I do not despise the car or Audi, and bought an M2 b/c of reviews on this site and others.

Of course the $20kish price difference came into play. . .

And the M2 with Pirelli Extreme Contact all season tires is actually pretty good in snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #140
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Question:

For those that don't really track their car, is there a benefit to streering feel and chassis benefits from the M2? Just curious.

The TT is one entire second faster, from 0-62mph, it completely wrecks the M2, M4, Cayman S etc, in road, while looking the best from outside (subjective), sounding the best (not subjective, we all know it sounds better) and giving you a special feeling when you get in that cabin, whereas the M2, you get it and feel, welp, 2 series!

It is interesting, not having attractive seats, or the attractive version of CF (open pore looks cheap and many hate it), but feeling "wanting to come back" because of the fun.

Why doesn't BMW make a more luxury oriented compact, a la TT RS? Would the M2 CS increase in inside styling, as to be a COMPLETE PACKAGE?

Can't be that hard BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #141
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

The TTRS is not a "complete package" either, of course, for reasons well discussed in this and other threads, not to mention several professional reviews.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

At this point, this is just trolling, and a waste of bandwidth. Go buy your dream car, and for heaven's sake get a new handle.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #142
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The TTRS is not a "complete package" either, of course, for reasons well discussed in this and other threads, not to mention several professional reviews.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

At this point, this is just trolling, and a waste of bandwidth. Go buy your dream car, and for heaven's sake get a new handle.
I never said it was a complete package, it is the reason behind asking why BMW doesn't take the chance to make one. I never said it was, so dunno why you didn't grasp that.

Don't be rude.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #143
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Before you keep spouting nonesense, picture this.

A $65,000 sports car with Audi TT RS-level interior and exhaust sound, M2 Grand Coupe chassis and suspension, manual transmission, OLED taillights. 400HP engine with 370lbs torque.

Name a better car...

Didn't think so!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #144
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post

A $65,000 sports car with Audi TT RS-level interior and exhaust sound, M2 Grand Coupe chassis and suspension, manual transmission, OLED taillights. 400HP engine with 370lbs torque.

Name a better car...

Didn't think so!
That car does not exist, and won't, at least at that price point. Your fascination with OLED tailights continues to baffle me. Seriously? That's so important to you that you list it along with chassis, suspension and a stick? I'm not sure what "M2 Grand Coupe chassis and suspension" is in your mind, but I am perfectly happy with regular old M2 chassis and suspension, especially since I lowered the car a bit. In fact, as many reviewers point out, it's the chassis and suspension that are the best part of the M2. They are the reason the reviewer whose review started this thread preferred the M2, in fact.

"Rudeness" is in the eye of the beholder. Posting, over and over and over again--in only slightly different formulations--that you believe the TTRS is superior to (or "wrecks", to use your term) the M2, the CaymanS, etc. because you believe it has better exhaust sound, is faster in a straight line, and has a nicer interior--when you don't own any of those cars or the TTRS--is another version of rude.
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #145
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That car does not exist, and won't, at least at that price point. Your fascination with OLED tailights continues to baffle me. Seriously? That's so important to you that you list it along with chassis, suspension and a stick? I'm not sure what "M2 Grand Coupe chassis and suspension" is in your mind, but I am perfectly happy with regular old M2 chassis and suspension, especially since I lowered the car a bit. In fact, as many reviewers point out, it's the chassis and suspension that are the best part of the M2. They are the reason the reviewer whose review started this thread preferred the M2, in fact.

"Rudeness" is in the eye of the beholder. Posting, over and over and over again--in only slightly different formulations--that you believe the TTRS is superior to (or "wrecks", to use your term) the M2, the CaymanS, etc. because you believe it has better exhaust sound, is faster in a straight line, and has a nicer interior--when you don't own any of those cars or the TTRS--is another version of rude.
OLED: Have you seen the lights from the M4 GTS? Gorgeous. The lights of the 2 series, 3 series and even 4 series, all meh, boring, nothing special. I'm talking about a car where everything is special.

Suspension and chassis: Super simple. You like the M2 dynamics? Great, now add two doors to make it an even better DD.

Rudeness: I said WRECKS in all its glory...in a straight line period, you know, most roads? As in you will never be able to catch up with one in the highway? Must suck. As for better sounds and is faster, THEY ARE FACTS.

Check ANY REVIEW AT ALL, they will ALL say the engine is a gem and sounds better than all cars REMOTELY near the price range.

Facts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #146
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As for the car not existing, says who?

Manual M2 - 53k.

Adding 2 more doors, OLED and better interior will mark it up to about 65,000 with the same engine. It is LITERALLY the same thing Audi is doing with the RS3 -> TT RS, the difference is that for Audi's fans (as in many models), they like their AWD and Chassis and tranquil steering feel. For many the TT RS is a perfect car.

Not for me, but the M2 Gran Coupe with a better interior (by far better) and updated lights, would be.

Would look even better with the CF rear diffuser, CF caps, obviously glossy CF interior trim and quilted leather seats..

Black grills...Dinan tuning later on...!!! Agh! Can't wait to get such a BMW...

Let's just hope they actually make it

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 02-15-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #147
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
The whole 0-60 metric is so played out. Unfortunately, auto journalists and manufactures uses it as the main marketing selling point regarding a car's speed so, as a result, the common customer aka non-enthusiast, believes that a car that can accelerate from a dead stop to 60 miles per hour in 3.5 seconds is, in fact, overall faster than a car that can hit 60 in 4.0 seconds. We know better though. Variables such as AWD and launch control can severely aid in a car reaching the relatively slow terminal speed of 60 mph. The TTRS can hit 60 quicker than a 600 HP M5/6 with comp pkg. Anyone who thinks it's a faster car should consider a lobotomy. Trap speed through the 1/4 mile is probably the best real world indicator of a car's speed....that or 60-130 mph which is a risky attempt on public roads sans the Autobahn.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 3
BruceM983.00
No Boost4019.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #148
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
OLED: Have you seen the lights from the M4 GTS? Gorgeous. The lights of the 2 series, 3 series and even 4 series, all meh, boring, nothing special. I'm talking about a car where everything is special.

Suspension and chassis: Super simple. You like the M2 dynamics? Great, now add two doors to make it an even better DD.

Rudeness: I said WRECKS in all its glory...in a straight line period, you know, most roads? As in you will never be able to catch up with one in the highway? Must suck. As for better sounds and is faster, THEY ARE FACTS.

Check ANY REVIEW AT ALL, they will ALL say the engine is a gem and sounds better than all cars REMOTELY near the price range.

Facts.
It's not rude to say "wrecks." It's rude to say the same things, over and over again, about the alleged superiority of a car you have never driven over the car that is the focus of this board. Especially when it has been pointed out to you time and again that those same things relate to factors that make more difference to you than they do to many others on this board.

For a glaring example, if an aspiring Lexus sedan owner decided he wanted to spend a lot of time on an M2 board pointing out that his wannabe car was much quieter than the M2, and therefore he just didn't understand why everybody on the board didn't acknowledge the superiority of his (theoretical) choice---at some point in the thread that would be rude.

You passed that point awhile ago.

As for your terribly rude "must suck" comment above, versions of which you have made repeatedly in your posts, you are truly clueless if you think I or many others on this board make car choices based on whether our cars could overtake another on a public highway. Cowboy-ing at high speeds on public highways in this country is nuts. That's what a track is for, buddy--something with which you have made clear you are not familiar.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #149
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Audi's fans (as in many models), they like their AWD and Chassis and tranquil steering feel. :
Anyone who prefers tranquil steering feel should be taking the bus.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #150
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Anyone who prefers tranquil steering feel should be taking the bus.
Didn't say I was one of them.

I only like the TT RS, not Audi as a brand.

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 02-15-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #151
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not rude to say "wrecks." It's rude to say the same things, over and over again, about the alleged superiority of a car you have never driven over the car that is the focus of this board. Especially when it has been pointed out to you time and again that those same things relate to factors that make more difference to you than they do to many others on this board.

For a glaring example, if an aspiring Lexus sedan owner decided he wanted to spend a lot of time on an M2 board pointing out that his wannabe car was much quieter than the M2, and therefore he just didn't understand why everybody on the board didn't acknowledge the superiority of his (theoretical) choice---at some point in the thread that would be rude.

You passed that point awhile ago.

As for your terribly rude "must suck" comment above, versions of which you have made repeatedly in your posts, you are truly clueless if you think I or many others on this board make car choices based on whether our cars could overtake another on a public highway. Cowboy-ing at high speeds on public highways in this country is nuts. That's what a track is for, buddy--something with which you have made clear you are not familiar.
Decided not to read your comment. Enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #152
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Didn't say I waa one of them.

I only like the TT RS, not Audi as a brand.
Not referring to you specifically, but anyone who likes driving should want some heft to steering weight. Audi's steering has been compared to the Pole Position video game from the early '80s. A bit of an overstatement but people understand the point.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #153
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Not referring to you specifically, but anyone who likes driving should want some heft to steering weight. Audi's steering has been compared to the Pole Position video game from the early '80s. A bit of an overstatement but people understand the point.
I thought Audi's issue was numb streering, not overly light?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #154
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:

Name a better car...

Didn't think so!
Why not sit back, sip a beer, chill for a few months and get a 2 seat version of the above (probably) which might even include the OLED tail lights?

I'm pretty sure that's he's just discribed the Z5...
Appreciate 0