BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Vehicle Enhancement Products / Optional Dealer Upgrades

01-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Vehicle Enhancement Products / Optional Dealer Upgrades

Guys and Gals wondering if anyone purchased a worthwhile optional dealer upgrade on their new car that they would recommend. Have a few days to decide on these options. Things like...

3M stone guard
Paint protection
Leather protection
Rust module
Tint
Tire and Rim protection
etc etc.

I am leaning towards getting only tint and possibly the rust module. I garage store my car and wont be driving in winter. Its a weekends and nights car with low km usage.

Or any other recommendation not from the dealer.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Slayer View Post
Guys and Gals wondering if anyone purchased a worthwhile optional dealer upgrade on their new car that they would recommend. Have a few days to decide on these options. Things like...

3M stone guard
Paint protection
Leather protection
Rust module
Tint
Tire and Rim protection
etc etc.

I am leaning towards getting only tint and possibly the rust module. I garage store my car and wont be driving in winter. Its a weekends and nights car with low km usage.

Or any other recommendation not from the dealer.

Thanks
I got paint protection and tint this time around. My dealer was able to do both in a single appointment.

Paint protection has been very effective on the previous BMWs I've bought (just be sure to negotiate a good price - you can do MUCH better than the price your dealer starts out with).

I had my dealer do the tint because the price was right and it was less hassle than scheduling yet another appointment with some other shop.

I've ordered leather protection in the past, but I think it was a waste. All you have to do is wipe your seats with a good preserver from time to time. -scr
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Leather protection is pointless on Dakota leather since its sealed with a coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

You probably don't get snow or have salted roads in SoCal why get rust module? I had paint protection and took the extended warranty on rims and tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper-1 View Post
You probably don't get snow or have salted roads in SoCal why get rust module? I had paint protection and took the extended warranty on rims and tires.
If your referring to SoCalRob he doesn't mention the rust module, as for me I'm in Toronto and am 50/50 whether to get it. Don't winter drive it. I plan on keeping the car for 4-6 years, so trying to figure out if its worth it and if it's a selling feature. I am Doing the tint, on the fence about the rim protection and module though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Yes he did.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

My mistake your right.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Have you done any research into rust module? There are probably cheaper aftermarket than BMW parts. I overpaid for a battery tender with the BMW sticker on it!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
I've always been under the impression that modern paint and undercoating being what it is, rust protection is not that "necessary" any more.

Here is a quote from consumer reports:

"All modern cars are factory-treated for rust protection, and additional undercoating can do more harm than good."

That said, in the past southern California could still be a rust issue due to the salt air from being near an ocean (and having a fair share of coastal roads). There are also the mountains there, so you can be in snow if you choose to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Yes he did.
Wait, are you saying that I (SoCalRob) mentioned rust module?

Because, I didn't.

I did quote the OP which included a reference to rust module, but I never said anything about it myself.

For the record, I've never specified rust module for any of my cars. In fact, I didn't even know there was such an option. -scr
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you done any research into rust module? There are probably cheaper aftermarket than BMW parts. I overpaid for a battery tender with the BMW sticker on it!
I have not, don't even know how effective that little box is. Ya I know the prices are bonkers for these things.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I've always been under the impression that modern paint and undercoating being what it is, rust protection is not that "necessary" any more.

"All modern cars are factory-treated for rust protection, and additional undercoating can do more harm than good."

That said, in the past southern California could still be a rust issue due to the salt air from being near an ocean (and having a fair share of coastal roads). There are also the mountains there, so you can be in snow if you choose to be.
Wasn't referring undercoating with a spray, was talking about that little box that sends and electric signal through the body of the car preventing rust. But after spending 3 minutes researching the product it sounds like total bologne and doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
Bluedoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Wasn't referring undercoating with a spray, was talking about that little box that sends and electric signal through the body of the car preventing rust. But after spending 3 minutes researching the product it sounds like total bologne and doesn't work.
Sacrificial anoids is a real science and used everyday with boats and underground steel storage tanks and pipe lines. Problem with a car is I don't understand how the grounding works since the exposure to corrosion for an auto isn't as cohesive as water or soil.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Correct
and..
Paint and leather protection is just a warranty per se. They are of course putting some stuff on both, but at the end of the day, it is a warranty and they hope you will never take them up on it. It is PURE profit for the dealer. I would not do either of those.

BMW tire and rim protection is both good and bad.
Good - they will replace the wheel and tire if something happens and there is no pro-rating (there is a minimum tread depth, but if you have that, they cover everything except....
Bad - $50 deductible per visit and they ONLY replace the wheel if it won't hold air. So if you smash the crap out of it and it is completely dented and rides like crap, BUT STILL HOLDS AIR -too bad, no new wheel for you.

Also, you can ONLY get this when you buy the car (the BMW one). At the end of the day, if you are going to run the 19s and you want the insurance, then do it - but even at about $1,700 (I think list is $2K), you have to go through like 3 wheels/tires before it starts to make sense. IF you had run-flats, then I would say do it - because those things will bubble just by looking at them wrong. I did NOT go with it on my M2 and it is pothole hell here in Chicago after the freezing rain we just had - so I'm praying. But I also have the 18s on for now - so more protection. Like I said, it is insurance.

Tint is totally up to you - here in IL the front windows really can't have much tint.

3M stone guard - if you really are going to keep the car for a long time, find someone that does XPEL and get the entire front of the car as well as behind the rear wheels and bumper covered (they will have to pull off the stuff BMW put on there). Do not let them do a strip on the front of the hood - that's just mooch

Ultimately, as noted, the dealer makes pure $$$ on each and every item you are talking about and rarely is it a good deal. Also, do NOT purchase extended maintenance or anything - even if they tell you it can be pro-rated if you sell the car. At the end of the day, you can always add that stuff later IF you still have the car. Cause if you total it or trade it in to CarMax at somepoint, you are just out that money.

and don't get talked into a 1 year lease (my dealer was trying to get me to do that - well the finance guy was. I just laughed).
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Correct
and..
Paint and leather protection is just a warranty per se. They are of course putting some stuff on both, but at the end of the day, it is a warranty and they hope you will never take them up on it. It is PURE profit for the dealer. I would not do either of those.

BMW tire and rim protection is both good and bad.
Good - they will replace the wheel and tire if something happens and there is no pro-rating (there is a minimum tread depth, but if you have that, they cover everything except....
Bad - $50 deductible per visit and they ONLY replace the wheel if it won't hold air. So if you smash the crap out of it and it is completely dented and rides like crap, BUT STILL HOLDS AIR -too bad, no new wheel for you.

Also, you can ONLY get this when you buy the car (the BMW one). At the end of the day, if you are going to run the 19s and you want the insurance, then do it - but even at about $1,700 (I think list is $2K), you have to go through like 3 wheels/tires before it starts to make sense. IF you had run-flats, then I would say do it - because those things will bubble just by looking at them wrong. I did NOT go with it on my M2 and it is pothole hell here in Chicago after the freezing rain we just had - so I'm praying. But I also have the 18s on for now - so more protection. Like I said, it is insurance.

Tint is totally up to you - here in IL the front windows really can't have much tint.

3M stone guard - if you really are going to keep the car for a long time, find someone that does XPEL and get the entire front of the car as well as behind the rear wheels and bumper covered (they will have to pull off the stuff BMW put on there). Do not let them do a strip on the front of the hood - that's just mooch

Ultimately, as noted, the dealer makes pure $$$ on each and every item you are talking about and rarely is it a good deal. Also, do NOT purchase extended maintenance or anything - even if they tell you it can be pro-rated if you sell the car. At the end of the day, you can always add that stuff later IF you still have the car. Cause if you total it or trade it in to CarMax at somepoint, you are just out that money.

and don't get talked into a 1 year lease (my dealer was trying to get me to do that - well the finance guy was. I just laughed).
All logical points, I've decided to just get the tint

Can't wait to pick her up on Saturday
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post

I have heard there is a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers of these automotive rust modules. The premise works and they do use them in boats, etc., however the current on the auto ones are way to low to do anything at all. Boat and pipeline modules put out far more voltage.
Appreciate 1