BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2017 Will Be The End Of The Line For The Chevrolet SS

01-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
never heard of it. Did see an Impala SS.... its predecessor?
The Chevy SS is more of a successor to the Pontiac G8. It is a large RWD sedan manufactured by GM Holden in Australia and based on the Holden Commodore. They all have LS3 V8 and a 6-speed manual transmission is optional. GM has also thrown in Brembo brakes and the excellent magnetic ride control suspension.

Like the G8 and GTO that came before it (also Holden derived), they are somewhat understated in design and could be considered modern sleepers.

They never were intended to be big sellers here in the US and the run was always finite as Holden's manufacturing was already slated to end.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #24
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I'm not sure it's even in Canada. The G8 was pretty rare here.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure it's even in Canada. The G8 was pretty rare here.
The SS is not sold in Canada. Per wikipedia: "On 20 February 2013 GM announced that the Chevrolet SS would not be sold in Canada, despite having been previewed there days before the February 2013 Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #26
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

So sad, such a cool car.

It will be missed. (I bet it will hold its value just as the G8 GXP did, since it is a low volume, relatively purist, dying breed)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

A damn shame. Fantastic cars. But partly GM's fault.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #28
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
A damn shame. Fantastic cars. But partly GM's fault.
GM Holden manufacturing's fate was announced soon after the SS went on sale in the US. The writing was on the wall long before that.

With that said, I had a 2005 GTO 6-speed, also built by GM Holden, and loved it. Wish I never sold it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottWhat View Post
GM Holden manufacturing's fate was announced soon after the SS went on sale in the US. The writing was on the wall long before that.

With that said, I had a 2005 GTO 6-speed, also built by GM Holden, and loved it. Wish I never sold it.
Well, that was a given. But the car's lack of success is what I was referring to.

I had a black on black 06 GTO 6MT, and I also loved it. Had intake/tune/headers/exhaust. Car ran great for what it was. Way better interior than anything else GM at the time.
Appreciate 1
GottWhat196.00
      01-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #30
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:

Same here. Nice car, great seats. Radio always had issues though and having the fuel tank in the trunk was terrible but it was a nice car for the $$. Ran a 100 shot on it with intake, headers and exhaust. Pretty quick for a big car.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 1
GottWhat196.00
      01-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Well, that was a given. But the car's lack of success is what I was referring to.

I had a black on black 06 GTO 6MT, and I also loved it. Had intake/tune/headers/exhaust. Car ran great for what it was. Way better interior than anything else GM at the time.
They're especially good when you address a few a things in the suspension and bushes. Same with the zeta based stuff.
Appreciate 1
GottWhat196.00
      01-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
The Chevy Caprice PPV is dead as well, quite a few departments where using them.

I think its unlikely Chevy will leave the RWD market as that is what cops prefer, and the Impala as we know it today isn't set up or hopefully not set up for pursuit usage.

http://www.gmfleet.com/specialty-veh...olice-car.html

Dodge doesn't have any issues with selling the charger ,but I will say the SS was limited in sales without have lower trim models

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 01-12-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #33
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I wonder what will happen to the Chevy Caprice? I assume that is dead as well, as quite a few departments where using them.

I think its unlikely Chevy will leave the RWD market as that is what cops prefer, and the Impala as we know it today isn't set up or hopefully not set up for pursuit usage.

http://www.gmfleet.com/specialty-veh...olice-car.html
I read that it was going away as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mine was a 2005 Yellow Jacket 6-speed with the OEM 18" wheels (1 of 76 made with that combination). I bought it new in 2006 and sold it about 7 years ago. I could have kept it and sold it today for about the same as I sold it for back then. Mine was pretty much stock except for Corsa Sport catback exhaust and a CAI.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I think they'll eventually build an Impala PPV. Ford's Police Interceptor based on the Taurus is pretty popular despite not being a RWD vehicle.

I also think an Impala SS with the LF3 or similar engine is going to happen eventually too.

Of course I would love to see GM kill the Impala and replace it with an Alpha-based sedan, but I don't see that happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 04:06 AM   #36
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
never heard of it. Did see an Impala SS.... its predecessor?
2 total different cars. The Impala is, now, a FWD, family economy car (honestly, it is in my eyes compared the the 94-96 version and well before then) that GM tries to make into a fast with the Impala SS.

The SS is just a Pontiac G8 GT in a newer chassis, fully loaded (2014-2017 models) with magnetorheological shocks (2015-2017 models) and now with a M6 option (2015-2017 model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
As typical of GM, corporate always gets in the way of logic.

Rebadging an ancient vehicle from abroad and passing it off as a new car was lame. It's the same reason why the entire Buick line sucks, they're all a bunch of badge engineered variants of Opels and Chevys. The SS looked plain, had a crap interior, crap electronics, and GM's famous crap reliability. It just goes to show how stupid GM's management continues to be by allowing such a product to reach the market. While I don't think the Kia Stinger will be a hot seller either, I admire Kia for actually putting effort into their RWD sport sedan. It looks great, the interior seems nice for what it is, and the electronics will be modern.

I can't think of many desirable vehicles from GM.
Famous crap reliability huh? What reliability issues are SS owners having? HFPF issues? DCT stutter? Rattling in the cabin? Clutch chatter? Turbo failures? Whistling noise at high way speeds? Oh...sorry, those are common 1 and 3 series issues.....

I agree Buick sucks and they should have been disbanded instead of Pontiac. GM does stupid things but having a 4 door, RWD sedan that can be equipped with a manual, powered by a 415 HP V8 is something not any other manufacturers are willing to do. Plus it weights in the 3700lb / 1700kg range. Pretty light compared to other 4 door sedans out there, while being fully loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Same here. Nice car, great seats. Radio always had issues though and having the fuel tank in the trunk was terrible but it was a nice car for the $$. Ran a 100 shot on it with intake, headers and exhaust. Pretty quick for a big car.
I owned a 06 M6 GTO with a baby cam, full exhaust and CAI. Bought it new as a left over in 2007. I would still have it but it was rear ended by a douche bag texting. You know why the gas tank was in the trunk? The NHTSA deemed it was safer in the trunk compared to being underneath like the Holden Monaro's gas tank was in Aussieland. If it wasn't for them, we could have had a way bigger trunk with fold down seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #37
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think they'll eventually build an Impala PPV. Ford's Police Interceptor based on the Taurus is pretty popular despite not being a RWD vehicle.

I also think an Impala SS with the LF3 or similar engine is going to happen eventually too.

Of course I would love to see GM kill the Impala and replace it with an Alpha-based sedan, but I don't see that happening.
I agree

Not saying I don't like more motor but hate the thought of a FWD 300hp car.

Agree, no reason they can't make a decent cheap RWD... stretch the Camaro keep the same engines and call it a day, to ensure it doesn't step on the toes of the ATS-v limit the v8 to 380hp
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #38
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
GM does stupid things but having a 4 door, RWD sedan that can be equipped with a manual, powered by a 415 HP V8 is something not any other manufacturers are willing to do. Plus it weights in the 3700lb / 1700kg range. Pretty light compared to other 4 door sedans out there, while being fully loaded.
I agree with almost everything you posted but one of my knocks on the car is the weight. From the Car and Driver 2015 manual trans. review - 3970 lbs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

My daily driver is a V-6 automatic RWD ATS, loaded but without a sunroof and it weighs about 3550. An ATS platform car with the V-8 in the Camaro (I think 465 hp) would make a far better performing car.

Last edited by David70; 01-13-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I agree

Agree, no reason they can't make a decent cheap RWD... stretch the Camaro keep the same engines and call it a day, to ensure it doesn't step on the toes of the ATS-v limit the v8 to 380hp
The V-6 ATS has 335 hp, wouldn't be worth the cost to develop another car with the V-8 cost and bad mpg for 45 hp and it will either cost far less than the ATS (and assuming most of this will come out of their profit) and take sales away from it or if it is a similar price no one would buy it.
      01-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #40
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I agree Buick sucks and they should have been disbanded instead of Pontiac.
From an enthusiast standpoint and US sales at the time, I agreed with you back when the decision was made. However, it is about the big picture and worldwide sales. Just today, I read that Buick brand’s sales in China rose 19% to a record 1,180,372 units in 2016.

The Regal GS is a fun car but starting to show it's age. We actually leased a 2011 Regal Turbo the first year the came out (before GM shifted production from Germany to Canada) and it was great car made even better after we added a Trifecta Tune. The new 2017 LaCrosse is a very nice car as well. The Buick Encore is not for me but basically created it's own market segment and selling very well. The Enclave is also showing it's age but a new one is coming out 2018 model year. The Verano is being discontinued. The Cascada is a 4-seat convertible with sporty looks (if not sporty attentions) and is perfect for aging baby boomers living in Florida or California. The Envision is a capable mid-size SUV.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
From an enthusiast standpoint and US sales at the time, I agreed with you back when the decision was made. However, it is about the big picture and worldwide sales. Just today, I read that Buick brand’s sales in China rose 19% to a record 1,180,372 units in 2016.
This. As previously posted, GM made the right decisions in killing Pontiac and Olds. Both of those brands were suffering from many of the same things that Caddy is dealing with now, ranging from washed-out branding to decades' worth of customer-perception issues, inconsistent model positioning, and quality control.

Buick has historically not had most of those problems ... and GM is now reaping the benefits of that now that Buick is a global brand. In keeping Buick, well, Buick for the long term, it's made it bankable, and Exhibit A in the KISS theory (Keep It Simple, Stupid) as it relates to automobile brands.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I agree

Yeah, I hear ya. I think they'll make it AWD-only like the XTS V-Sport. Basically, Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Taurus SHO.

This might take another generation to play out though. We'll see.

Quote:
Even with a turbo V6 instead of the V8 it would be a compelling car. However, they already have enough problems fending off competitors when trying to sell their RWD Cadillac sedans. Creating another potential competitor in-house would probably not lead to a profit increase for GM. Quite likely the opposite, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #43
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, most people are non-enthusiasts and couldn't care less if a car was RWD vs FWD. In fact, I bet half of all drivers don't even know if their car is FWD or RWD. This is why Ford decided to not develop a new RWD sedan for Lincoln.

PS: I think Cadillac lineup is a step above Lincoln. I would say Lincoln is more on par with Buick.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      01-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #44
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The V-6 ATS has 335 hp, wouldn't be worth the cost to develop another car with the V-8 cost and bad mpg for 45 hp and it will either cost far less than the ATS (and assuming most of this will come out of their profit) and take sales away from it or if it is a similar price no one would buy it.
Yes and no if they made a car, aka one that sold it wouldn't be an issue. For that the ATS is ...its not a seller, neither was the SS.

It probably would cost GM way less to make it than we think. A low end Camaro is mid 20s, stretch it, add 2 doors.

Look at Dodge a Charger mid 20s base v6, 30s you get a V8( 2 options) then at the top you have a hellcat at 70k. The SS didn't sell as it was mid 40s before incentives, I know no law enforcement agency non federal would of bought a Caprice at 40k.

I think half the problem is GM has too many cars which compete/ overlap the same segment.

I think the odds of Ford having a RWD cheap sedan are better than GM.
Appreciate 0