BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

05-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

Let me know what's on your mind, how to apply something, tech questions on detailing?

I will try to answer it the best I can also welcome others to answer as well.
Appreciate 5
BAN_M2C4154.50
WillSkill172.00
ChiTownM1045.50
      05-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

is it worth it to use quick detail spray on the car after a wash? I'm currently spraying on kenotek showroom shine after washing the car, and not quite sure i'm seeing any benefit.

maybe I'm wiping it off too soon after spraying it on?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

yes to clean up the drip marks and get your quick washes, nice and tight.

you will be topping your existing wax or sealant..."boosting" it or prolonging the life.

you would see some added shine as well. it's spray on buff off product so you should be doing it right. are you using it on a wet or dry car?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

dry car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

what are you seeing that isn't to your satisfaction?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

I guess I just expected some more shine than what I'm seeing. Overexpectation on my part I suppose, it's not like I'm adding another coat of wax or sealant
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

more shine will coming from a paint correction, I would not except as much gloss from a wax/sealant/coating unless the paint is properly prepped.

What color car do you have, if it's bsm or sb it will always look cloudy.

I had a cosmos black e36 M3 I could never get it shiny enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

DetailersDomain I have another Xpel clear wrap question when it comes to strip washing. If I were to use a mixture of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and Adams Car Shampoo, will that cause any damage to the clear bra when strip washing the sealants etc? I may opt to do CQuartz UK eventually, but currently my only sealant is Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

What's the best way to clean the edge of the protection film on my rear fenders? I always has a dark line.
Appreciate 3
      05-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
What's the best way to clean the edge of the protection film on my rear fenders? I always has a dark line.
got a picture? the leading edges will always be or get dirty over time. when cleaning it, use a detail spray and wipe away from the edge, you can also use your finger nail wrapped in a towel and wipe gently.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
DetailersDomain I have another Xpel clear wrap question when it comes to strip washing. If I were to use a mixture of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and Adams Car Shampoo, will that cause any damage to the clear bra when strip washing the sealants etc? I may opt to do CQuartz UK eventually, but currently my only sealant is Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss. Thank you in advance.
it won't do damage as you won't be doing this all the time it's more of a once in a year type thing or each time you change your coating which should not be that often.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
got a picture? the leading edges will always be or get dirty over time. when cleaning it, use a detail spray and wipe away from the edge, you can also use your finger nail wrapped in a towel and wipe gently.
It is the film piece that protects the rear fender from rocks and such. As luck would have it i wash it yesterday and scrubbed the piss out of it to remove dirt edge. Btw adjusted pic levels to accentuate the edge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

looks like you cleaned it up well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain
looks like you cleaned it up well.
I used Powerlock after the car was stripped when I took delivery. I then threw 2 coats of collinite 845 over the powerlock. Is this overkill?

I'm using the collinite like a basic carnuba over the sealant but I keep seeing guys using just the 845 as a light sealant.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

ashburyn54, that should hold up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

May is here and your itch to get your cars clean has probably kicked into high gear! Enjoy a 15% off Promo Code so you can give a few new items a try this season.

15% off Promo Code off the shopping cart total: MAY16
Flat Rate Shipping $5.99
Free Shipping over $99.00

Starts now
Ends 5/18/16 @Midnight EST

Click here to start shopping.

Please find some great deals below.
Have a question, feel free to email me phil@detailersdomain.com

Philip Yiu
Detailer's Domain

Save Big on our polisher bundles from beginner to advanced we have them for you.

Orbital Polisher Bundles

Take a look at our fast moving products of the season. The Nanolex Wheel Cleaner & Iron Remover has been moving up the ranks quickly. Give this one a try it may fast become your favorite wheel and iron remover!

Don't forget to stock up on our best selling interior cleaner.
1Z einszett Cockpit Premium

Ugh the BUGS are out again in full force in most parts of the country. Stock up on 1Z einszett Anti Insekt!

Want to try a new car wash give the Nanolex Pure Shampoo a go, great in your bucket or your foam gun/cannon.

Interested in giving a coating a try, take some baby steps into it, try the Gyeon Can Coat as easy as a quick detail spray but months and months of protection and great water beading behavior.
Appreciate 1
Froggi60.00
      06-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #17
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2

I've read that some people choose to PPF (Xpel) their car after the first service instead of immediately, is there a reason for this or just personal preference? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #18
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

try to get the film on as soon as possible, reason being you want to protect the car from rock chips and road debris.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #19
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

DetailersDomain

I already have Xpel installed, but for something like Opticoat/CQuartz Finest/Nanolex, this can be done after you have had the car for some time, correct? The reason I ask is that I currently do detailing myself (Part of the Obsessed Garage group), and try to maintain as best I can, but my car is not my daily driver. I was wondering if this is something that is necessary for my situation.

Context: I currently use a foam canon with Adams Car Shampoo, two bucket method, (clayed on my first wash), and then dry (using detail spray as a drying aid when not applying H20 G&G). Currently, I use Adams H20 G&G as my only sealant/wax application. Would you consider this good practice if I reapply the H20 G&G every 2 or 3 washes (usually wash my car about every two weeks)?

My car is garage kept and not a DD, so I figure that I don't need to go overboard as it is usually up to par from a cleanliness standpoint. I'm just trying to determine whether or not a nano coating is necessary if you continually upkeep your car. I know it makes it easier from a maintenence standpoint as the sheeting properties are excellent. I have also thought about doing CQuartz UK myself. With having Xpel, I'm nervous about using any sort of paste waxes and having them get caught on the edges, so nano coatings/spray sealants/waxes would be my preference. I'm also nervous about Machine polishing as I've never done it before, so once it's time for a full correction, I'm not sure what I'll do...

Sorry for the long explanation, but I feel as if there is so many different products and methods, I don't know where to begin. I also want to know if my process is "up to snuff" if you will.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #20
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
DetailersDomain

I already have Xpel installed, but for something like Opticoat/CQuartz Finest/Nanolex, this can be done after you have had the car for some time, correct? The reason I ask is that I currently do detailing myself (Part of the Obsessed Garage group), and try to maintain as best I can, but my car is not my daily driver. I was wondering if this is something that is necessary for my situation.

Yes you can coat the car after you wrap it.

Context: I currently use a foam canon with Adams Car Shampoo, two bucket method, (clayed on my first wash), and then dry (using detail spray as a drying aid when not applying H20 G&G). Currently, I use Adams H20 G&G as my only sealant/wax application. Would you consider this good practice if I reapply the H20 G&G every 2 or 3 washes (usually wash my car about every two weeks)?

My car is garage kept and not a DD, so I figure that I don't need to go overboard as it is usually up to par from a cleanliness standpoint. I'm just trying to determine whether or not a nano coating is necessary if you continually upkeep your car. I know it makes it easier from a maintenence standpoint as the sheeting properties are excellent. I have also thought about doing CQuartz UK myself. With having Xpel, I'm nervous about using any sort of paste waxes and having them get caught on the edges, so nano coatings/spray sealants/waxes would be my preference. I'm also nervous about Machine polishing as I've never done it before, so once it's time for a full correction, I'm not sure what I'll do...

Sorry for the long explanation, but I feel as if there is so many different products and methods, I don't know where to begin. I also want to know if my process is "up to snuff" if you will.
Coatings are not necessary but I feel they are great it provides a longer period of time before details and washes. I like knowing there is a barrier there of protection just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Do you guys have an affiliate near KC that I can get work done? Interested in xpel and future details.

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

For film take a look and make sure you do your research.

Auto Glass & Tint Shop
9928 W 62nd Terrace
Merriam, KS 66203 View Map
http://www.autoglassandtintshop.com

Midwest Tinting, Inc.
7755 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, View Map
Overland Park, KS 66202
http://MIDWESTTINTING.COM
Appreciate 0