BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Focus RS vs. M2, Focus wins???

11-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #111
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Don't know if this has been posted. Basically mirroring the guy who posted earlier in the thread about his RS not feeling natural.

Quote:
Taming the twisties

These cars were engineered to show their true characters when the road turns twisty or a racetrack beckons. From our home base near Blue Ridge, Georgia, we put together a 90-mile route full of twists and turns on Highway 60 to Dahlonega and back. It was the perfect place to test a pair of sporty cars.

If this duo felt different in everyday traffic, the differences became more pronounced when pushed through tight turns.

The M2 is buttoned down, stable, and smooth. It grips hard, and flows from corner to corner with poise. “It feels unflappable and confident; maybe it's just because we were putting it up against the Focus, which is nervous, but the M2 felt like the mature, elder statesman,” said Ganz.

“This is the car with the best steering response, the best combination of grip and damping, and the most evocative engine sound, though some of it is fake,” added Padgett.

Cole noted that the nanny systems are well tuned. “The M2 makes invisible the electronics that make it the most fun. Traction control doesn’t cut in too late, and there’s enough rope from it for anyone to hang themselves,” he said. “It rewards heavy-footed numbskulls looking to rid themselves of back tires—no adaptive suspension electronics necessary.”

Feder said, “Everything about the M2 is smoother than the Focus RS, from shifts to suspension, and everything in between.”

That was a common theme from our editors. Most found the RS to be frenetic and not quite buttoned down. “The Ford Focus RS felt like a nervous puppy,” remarked Cole. “Lots of eager energy, but not much of a footing underneath it yet. Without the sport suspension turned on, it never felt at ease in hard corners—felt like it was too eager to give up grip in exchange for smoke.”

Padgett questioned the Focus’ handling in general: “Torque steers all over, oversteer whips in to crank around corners. It's not so much responsive as panicky. Last-minute corrections are what it does best?”

But that doesn’t mean we didn’t like the Focus RS. Padgett found it endearing in its own way. “It’s fast and hugely entertaining and perfectly suits a time in a gearhead’s life when it's all about exciting every sensory organ. Its heart is in the right place but its feet sometimes aren't,” he said
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...os-will-travel
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #112
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Don't know if this has been posted. Basically mirroring the guy who posted earlier in the thread about his RS not feeling natural.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...os-will-travel
I can agree on basically everything in the review.
Especially the suspension being to high strung and bouncy combined with the short wheel base makes for some "interesting" behaviour through bumpy corners.
Also the tram-lining and the torque steer in 3rd gear WOT on back roads with a lot of camber can be pretty scary.
The Focus is a really fun hatch but it lacks a lot of refinement tbh.
Also, it does not feel 350hp fast.
The M2 feels a lot quicker acceleration wise.

Hopefully my RS will be picked up by itīs new owner next week and then I canīt wait to get my M2 delivered in early December.

Donīt think I will miss the RS tbh but it was a nice summer fling while waiting (a full year) for the right one. The M2
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #113
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
I cross shopped M2, RS3 and CLA45. The reason was simple, I wanted to get back to fun cars. All of them are premium brands with roughly the same performance. I've driven fast hatches most of my life and I enjoy them. I've owned several AWD cars and like the traction. But I've never owned a high performance RWD car so I thought it would be good to try something different. I don't care if it's a coupe, or sedan, or hatch, or if it's RWD or AWD, I just want a fun car. All of the aforementioned, fit that bill. The M2 certainly isn't in a class of it's own in that regard.
same here, I choose the M2 purely for fun factor. It could have been more committed like a 2 door, but I refused to pay Porsche, it's overpriced in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #114
mitoda
Private
Rep

Here is a good review of the Focus RS from from Joe Achilles (youtube channel) he is an M2 owner.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #115
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Copying my post from the other section....

Got a chance to drive a 16 Focus RS on track today and I was blown away. The car is fantastic and honestly a lot more fun than my 17 M2. I was underwhelmed when I test drove the RS on the street but on the track it was incredible, I could not stop laughing at how entertaining it was. It takes a lot of steering input but it will slide and then claw for grip to rocket out of the corner. It's a car you can drive with the throttle as much as the steering wheel.

I owned a R35 GT-R and 2016 STI never honestly felt the AWD working but in the Focus you could feel the power being shifted around from wheel to wheel to help the car rotate and shove it out of the corner. The rear drive unit setup AWD is pretty cool.

The acceleration felt pretty similar to the M2 but it had a lot more corner exit grip especially on tight corners. The Focus also felt stiffer to me in track mode, you can see how much my helmet go pro mount is bouncing. If my M2 was my primary track car I'd be looking to sell it tomorrow and replace it with a Focus RS, it was THAT fun to drive no joke. But as a street car/daily driver I think the M2 is still more refined and superior overall.

Here's some footage from the M2. The M2 felt more clinical, less drama but less fun. If you have good car control and like a loose car that can move around under you and still go fast you won't find a more fun car than the RS for less than 100K.

Appreciate 3
BAN_M2C4180.00
mitoda66.50
qnet681.50
      11-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #116
mitoda
Private
Rep

another M2 vs. RS review video from Road Show featuring Carfection's Alex Goy and Emme Hall

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #117
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi,

Just sold my Focus RS last week and awaiting delivery of my M2 next week and I donīt miss the RS one bit.

It is a super entertaining car when driven near or on the limit but all other times it just doesnīt feel special enough.

Seating position, rattly interior, general interior build quality, torque steer and tram lining was my biggest concerns with the car.
The euro pricing of the RS is much closer to the M2 so it loses itīs bargain appeal over here. I know in the US it is way cheaper than an M2.

Also, the RS felt quite slow considering itīs rated output of 350ps.
I think it actually might be overrated in that department.

The M2 feels substanitally faster in a straight line wich is also supported by magazine tests and you def. can feel the difference.

In any case is a fantastic car in itīs segment but IMO it cannot touch the M2.

Br
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #118
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

This writer is clueless:
http://nseavoice.com/cars/bmw-m2-pro...920019223.html
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #119
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
nah the guy is right, I am so sorry I did not get the rs over the m2, every time I drive it and hear that engine wind out and row the gears I am hit over the head of what a huge mistake I made. NOT! come fcking on man, don't litter this place with this junk, let's keep the faith baby! just flipped over 2500mi, car feels better all the time...1 week from the 2 month anniversary party
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #120
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Hi,

Just sold my Focus RS last week and awaiting delivery of my M2 next week and I donīt miss the RS one bit.

It is a super entertaining car when driven near or on the limit but all other times it just doesnīt feel special enough.

Seating position, rattly interior, general interior build quality, torque steer and tram lining was my biggest concerns with the car.
The euro pricing of the RS is much closer to the M2 so it loses itīs bargain appeal over here. I know in the US it is way cheaper than an M2.

Also, the RS felt quite slow considering itīs rated output of 350ps.
I think it actually might be overrated in that department.

The M2 feels substanitally faster in a straight line wich is also supported by magazine tests and you def. can feel the difference.

In any case is a fantastic car in itīs segment but IMO it cannot touch the M2.

Br

Agree I had the same feelings after test driving a RS on the road. Too bad it's down on power and fit and finish since the hatch form is so useful. It is a hoot on the track though, so much fun to throw around.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #121
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Test drove the RS this weekend and here are my impressions after a 30 min test drive. Will try and describe how I think it compares to the M2 as best I can.

Engine - Very linear and great response for a turbocharged 4-pot.
Enginesound - not that nice and far from the M2s i6.
Power delivery was decent but lacked a bit top end. Felt a bit flat the last 500 rpms felt a bit unnecessary.
Feels a bit underwhelming in terms of straight line pace compared to the M2. However that was expected looking at different magazines acceleration numbers.

Chassie and drive train - Very impressed of how the torque vectoring made the car feel very rear biased. Will be interesting to explore the limits of grip on a wet road when I take delivery of mine.
Seems like a far more entertaining 4wd system than the haldex-based cars.

Very nice and direct steering with both good weight and feel. Felt similar to the M2s but a but more direct and a bit nervous.

Suspension was quite firm in the softest setting but the car felt very controlled over bumpy roads and in corners.
It did however not feel as wide and glued to the road as the M2. It can be due to the high seating position in the car as the actual grip seems immense.
It just feels like a "taller" and narrower car when you chuck it in to corners. Hard to explain.

Suspension is probably a little bit softer than the M2. However in the firmer damper setting the RS ride was much firmer than the M2s. Pretty much useless on normal roads.

Interior is not as nice as the M2 and the optional Recaro shell seats do not offer any height adjustment so you tend to end up sitting to high up in the car.
M2 has a much better driving position as you can sit low in the car and also as the steering wheels reach can be adjusted much closer to the driver. And as I am pretty tall and is seated far back that is quite important.

All in all I suppose the RS lived up to all my expectations. That being said they were lower than for the M2.
I still personally much prefer the M2 over the RS for these main reasons:
-Looks, both interior and exterior
-Seating position
-Engine character
-RWD layout

Price difference in my case is negligable, about 5K dollars/euros

Br
You mentioned you are tall and I'm 6'6" or 198 cm, do you think I would fit okay in the M2? I'm working in the Middle East so not a good opportunity to test the size but I am thinking about ordering an M2 since I've heard it takes months to get one. I currently drive a 2004 7 Series and also have a large SUV for winter driving and hauling people and stuff so I can downsize.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #122
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
nitrous blue looks amazing, makes LBB seem kind of dirty under those lighting conditions.
I love the LBB but gotta admit, that nitrous blue is stunning.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #123
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Copying my post from the other section....

Got a chance to drive a 16 Focus RS on track today and I was blown away. The car is fantastic and honestly a lot more fun than my 17 M2. I was underwhelmed when I test drove the RS on the street but on the track it was incredible, I could not stop laughing at how entertaining it was. It takes a lot of steering input but it will slide and then claw for grip to rocket out of the corner. It's a car you can drive with the throttle as much as the steering wheel.

I owned a R35 GT-R and 2016 STI never honestly felt the AWD working but in the Focus you could feel the power being shifted around from wheel to wheel to help the car rotate and shove it out of the corner. The rear drive unit setup AWD is pretty cool.

The acceleration felt pretty similar to the M2 but it had a lot more corner exit grip especially on tight corners. The Focus also felt stiffer to me in track mode, you can see how much my helmet go pro mount is bouncing. If my M2 was my primary track car I'd be looking to sell it tomorrow and replace it with a Focus RS, it was THAT fun to drive no joke. But as a street car/daily driver I think the M2 is still more refined and superior overall.

Here's some footage from the M2. The M2 felt more clinical, less drama but less fun. If you have good car control and like a loose car that can move around under you and still go fast you won't find a more fun car than the RS for less than 100K.

Look at you being seduced by all these " cheap ass rental cars"' .... :

A year ago you were all like ...

" No way an M2 is better an E9x. "'
"No one buys an M2 when they can afford an M4 "
"No way an M2 is more fun than an M4. "

First the M2 ..
then the Ford Focus...

Damn.. you mighta cleaned all that Porsche/M-snob offa you and figured out that a Lightweight car is a helluva lot of fun ...

Nice to see that maybe you've stopped evaluating cars solely by their original price tag ?

To be perfectly honest , there are many drivers that have no idea how much a car like the GTR is doing all the driving for them because they are simply driving it around with all the nannies on and mashing the gas. Have you driven one anytime recently ? I have a feeling that you would be much more aware of all that it's doing now. It just does it so much more smoothly and silently.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #124
Bluedoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm driving a '14Focus ST waiting for my M2 build. I was interested in the Focus RS in theory because the ST already has too much power for a FWD. A couple months ago, a couple walked by my ST and the man remarked that he wished he had the ST instead of the RS he bought a couple months before. He complained the RS was unpleasant to drive on normal roads and the stiffness made the entire interior rattle and the seating position was painful. I'm already uninspired by the hot-hatch and hearing his 2 minute rant ended any interest in the Focus RS.

That being said...I'm giddy waiting for my M2 to deliver
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #125
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Maybe View Post
You mentioned you are tall and I'm 6'6" or 198 cm, do you think I would fit okay in the M2? I'm working in the Middle East so not a good opportunity to test the size but I am thinking about ordering an M2 since I've heard it takes months to get one. I currently drive a 2004 7 Series and also have a large SUV for winter driving and hauling people and stuff so I can downsize.
Hi, I am 192 CM and fit great in the M2. There is ample head room for me to wear a baseball cap that adds a couple of cm without hitting my head.
However I have manual seats (not in lowest position though) and no moon roof so that might be worth taking into consideration.

Arenīt there any 2-series avaliabl ewith M-sport seats you could try to sit in at a local dealer?
There should be no different than the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #126
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedoor View Post
I'm driving a '14Focus ST waiting for my M2 build. I was interested in the Focus RS in theory because the ST already has too much power for a FWD. A couple months ago, a couple walked by my ST and the man remarked that he wished he had the ST instead of the RS he bought a couple months before. He complained the RS was unpleasant to drive on normal roads and the stiffness made the entire interior rattle and the seating position was painful. I'm already uninspired by the hot-hatch and hearing his 2 minute rant ended any interest in the Focus RS.

That being said...I'm giddy waiting for my M2 to deliver
I agree with the ranting guy you talked too.

Imagine then that the RS also has qute bad torque steer which makes it a bit scary on roads with a lot of camber (like twisty back roads that should be what the RS is all about) that you are a bit reluctant to go WOT in 3rd gear as you are being pulled in the direction the surface dictates... Often that means a ditch or oncoming traffic.
I even had wheel alignment done under warranty as I refused to believe it could be this bad in an AWD car.
It made no difference.

I know straight line performance isnīt the most important thing to some people but IMHO the RS is just not fast enough compared to the competition and the advertised HP figures.

Even when I test drove the RS for the first time and had driven a Focus ST a couple of weeks before I honestly thought it hardly felt any faster than the ST in terms of in gear acceleration.

After having had my M2 for a couple of weeks I would say it feels at least as it has 50-70 whp more than the RS. It pulls so much harder I am still being surprised of just how hard that thing pulls.
I believe around 50 whp difference is what dyno runs indicates but I think the shorter gearing of the DCT and a bit lower weght adds a bit to the performence and the sensation.

All in all I could not be happier with the M2 and I still do not miss the RS.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #127
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
FOCUS RS
I'll chime in with my .02 post test drive.

Pros - great looking car, proper 4 door, decent trunk and OK interior (given its a Ford...).

Cons - seat position is 2-4" taller than I would like, steering wheels is a little big and narrow in diameter. Dash gauges look cheap and uninspiring. Visibility is a bit worse than expected.

Street driving - entirely underwhelmed. Expected this to have some pep and fun to it, not really anything below 4000rpm. For those that called the Focus RS the "entry level M car" (Road&Track) I would say a 228i Msport is a better place to be and a more inspiring car to drive. Doesn't deliver that fast feeling and I cannot see myself enjoying this in the canyons more than a sleeker, lower, coupe style car (even if its slower)

Sad to say, as I was ready to drop down a deposit given its lower price.

Last edited by 86Zed; 01-31-2017 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #128
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
I'll chime in with my .02 post test drive.

Pros - great looking car, proper 4 door, decent trunk and OK interior (given its a Ford...).

Cons - seat position is 2-4" taller than I would like, steering wheels is a little big and narrow in diameter. Dash gauges look cheap and uninspiring. Visibility is a bit worse than expected.

Street driving - entirely underwhelmed. Expected this to have some pep and fun to it, not really anything below 4000rpm. For those that called this the "entry level M car" I would say a 228i Msport is a better place to be and a more inspiring car to drive. Doesn't deliver that fast feeling and I cannot see myself enjoying this in the canyons more than a sleeker, lower, coupe style car (even if its slower)

Sad to say, as I was ready to drop down a deposit.
Are you talking about the Ford or the M2?
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      01-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #129
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Are you talking about the Ford or the M2?
This...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #130
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

???

Doesn't "proper 4 door" answer this question?? Not to mention ("given its a Ford")??

Must be missing something...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #131
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
???

Doesn't "proper 4 door" answer this question?? Not to mention ("given its a Ford")??

Must be missing something...
"entry level M car" = M2 though?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #132
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
"entry level M car" = M2 though?
Good point. Looks like a review of both in the same post?

Edit: I think maybe he is saying that the Focus RS is not as good as a 228i MSport as an "entry level M Car." If that is what he is saying, I guess the confusion with me is I don't think of MSport cars as M cars, entry level or otherwise...The "entry level" M car is the M2.

Last edited by BruceM; 01-31-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0