BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Coating vs Film?

05-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #23
Elsharkyyturbo2
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

I went with the Xpel Ultimate on my LBB M2 on full nose, mirrors, headlights, rockers, and rear bumper. I've been thinking about opticoating on top of that. Anyone have photos of their coated /wrapped cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #24
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

My car is completed opti-coated. Looks clean...don't know if anyone can tell it's one without some "water test"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #25
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
My car is completed opti-coated. Looks clean...don't know if anyone can tell it's one without some "water test"
Cool, i plan on using Opti-coat also, have been very happy with it in the past.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #26
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
How much did the Opti-Coat run you?

I'm considering doing CQuartz UK myself, but am awaiting my Adam's order this weekend to start...I may just use Adam's H20 for the first couple of months and then do the CQUK around the summertime...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #27
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
How much did the Opti-Coat run you?

I'm considering doing CQuartz UK myself, but am awaiting my Adam's order this weekend to start...I may just use Adam's H20 for the first couple of months and then do the CQUK around the summertime...

The opti-coat cost me $700. I probably could of found a better deal.

What is Adam's H2O?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #28
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The opti-coat cost me $700. I probably could of found a better deal.

What is Adam's H2O?
I ordered a bunch of detailing products/hardware recently. I got a small electric pressure washer, foam cannon, adam's daily driver kit and extra bucket for the two bucket method and a large order of microfiber towels...In the daily driver kit is Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss. This stuff is much like Car Pro Reload (more like Hydro H20 - Which Reload replaced?). I am thinking of pulling the trigger on CQUK kit at Detailed image and adding reload, but I think I just going to stick with what I have. I've spent wayyy too much money at this point, hahaha.

Here is a video on H20 Guard and Gloss.

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #29
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I ordered a bunch of detailing products/hardware recently. I got a small electric pressure washer, foam cannon, adam's daily driver kit and extra bucket for the two bucket method and a large order of microfiber towels...In the daily driver kit is Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss. This stuff is much like Car Pro Reload (more like Hydro H20 - Which Reload replaced?). I am thinking of pulling the trigger on CQUK kit at Detailed image and adding reload, but I think I just going to stick with what I have. I've spent wayyy too much money at this point, hahaha.

Here is a video on H20 Guard and Gloss.

Which electric pressure washer did you buy? I'm trying not to use alot of water in california and plus the neighbors look at me like "dude...california drought bro".

But nevertheless, i'm also getting really into all this cleaning equipment to keep my car clean. My very curious about foam cannon, and pressure washer...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #30
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which electric pressure washer did you buy? I'm trying not to use alot of water in california and plus the neighbors look at me like "dude...california drought bro".

But nevertheless, i'm also getting really into all this cleaning equipment to keep my car clean. My very curious about foam cannon, and pressure washer...
I got the Ryobi 1600psi 1.2 GPM from Home Depot. It's small and can be stored easy, plus it was only $120. I was considering the Sun Joe 3000spx or the Greenworks, but ended up with the Ryobi due to the portability. I've seen other folks use it with success with the MTM Hydro Low Pressure foam cannon. Make sure that you get the low pressure (2600psi Max) foam cannon as it'll work better with Electric Pressure washers.

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #31
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I got the Ryobi 1600psi 1.2 GPM from Home Depot. It's small and can be stored easy, plus it was only $120. I was considering the Sun Joe 3000spx or the Greenworks, but ended up with the Ryobi due to the portability. I've seen other folks use it with success with the MTM Hydro Low Pressure foam cannon. Make sure that you get the low pressure (2600psi Max) foam cannon as it'll work better with Electric Pressure washers.

I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #32
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks !
FYI, you can buy that pressure washer as a refurb from CPO Outlets for 69 bucks with free shipping. Just got mine a week ago. It is perfect for cleaning wheels and using a foam cannon. Pressure good enough to clean well but not enough to damage the paint if you have a chip but you still need to be careful.

On the coating vs film question I think the environmental conditions you drive in are a significant factor. In AZ our roads get a lot of dirt with small rocks on them during the monsoon season which makes our cars very susceptible to paint damage so I see film as essential here. I will be getting the front of my car done with Xpel. If I was only going to have the car for a couple of years I might pass due to cost but I plan on keeping mine for a while and I am a bit OCD so its worth it for me. If I lived in a more car friendly environment I would likely just do a coating. I think these coatings are a great way to go and plan on doing optimum's opticoat in addition to Xpel, the Xpel rep says they work well together.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #33
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post
After a ton of googling and forum research, I still don't really understand all of the film and coating options and benefits.

So these seem to be the top coatings:
Opticoat Pro+
CQuartz Finest
Gyeon Quartz

And there seems to really only be one top film:
XPEL Ultimate

If someone wants the maximum shine and maximum protection from gravel chips, etc., which is your best option? Also if you have any photos/experience with these products, it would be great to see the results all in one place!

Have you heard of nanofusion for PPF? I heard it's the best and provides lifetime warranty vs Xpels 10 year.

I'm also interested in getting coating myself and looking to find the best out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #34
Shine Auto Salon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - Laguna Seca Blue

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
XPEL and Coating differences

XPEL Ultimate film will give you maximum protection against normal road wear and tear. Rocks, gravel, road debris, bugs, tar, etc...
We can protect any part of your vehicle with XPEL!

Coating benefits: (We use CQuartz Finest and Opticoat Pro)
-Enhances glossiness
-Hydrophobic (Beads/sheets water like crazy!)
-Provides minimal clear coat protection
-Easier maintenance when washing

XPEL and coatings can be paired together as well!

Check out these images of a recent XPEL install we did on a fellow forum members M2!

Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4180.00
      11-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #35
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

After having been ripped off by gov with heavy tariff on car for past 10 years, the most recent one being the 110k USD m2, I feel life in China with cars is great again, having it fully Xpel wrapped for only 2500 USD, right that's inclusive of labor.
      04-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #36
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

How about both?

http://clearbraatlanta.com/modesta-c...-in-car-paint/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #37
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pro Level Coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Be wary of the coatings. Most are overpriced and won't last as advertised. 6 months should be the max. Maybe a year if its sitting around. The hard "glass" coatings are interesting. They don't flex with the paint which concerns me. The coatings are also extremely hard to buff. They acquire scratches all the same. If you really want a coating save some money and do it yourself. $100, but prep is the name of the game.

If you want real impact resistance and scratch resistance, go with the expel. I've decided to ditch both and go with sealers and waxes. I enjoy the process. Clay, M power-lock sealant and collinite 845.
I don't understand the first couple of statements that you made.

"They don't flex" - False. They are designed to move just like the paint on your car.

"The coatings are extremely hard to buff" - False. Again, if the need should arise for the coating to be "buffed" polished off, it can be.

"They acquire scratches all the same" - True and False. They can scratch, but if care is taken with the wash process, the coating will be more scratch resistant than the paint alone.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #38
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Quote:
Be wary of the coatings. Most are overpriced and won't last as advertised. 6 months should be the max. Maybe a year if its sitting around. The hard "glass" coatings are interesting. They don't flex with the paint which concerns me. The coatings are also extremely hard to buff. They acquire scratches all the same. If you really want a coating save some money and do it yourself. $100, but prep is the name of the game.

If you want real impact resistance and scratch resistance, go with the expel. I've decided to ditch both and go with sealers and waxes. I enjoy the process. Clay, M power-lock sealant and collinite 845.
I don't understand the first couple of statements that you made.

"They don't flex" - False. They are designed to move just like the paint on your car.

"The coatings are extremely hard to buff" - False. Again, if the need should arise for the coating to be "buffed" polished off, it can be.

"They acquire scratches all the same" - True and False. They can scratch, but if care is taken with the wash process, the coating will be more scratch resistant than the paint alone.

Bruce
I still stand by what I said. Yes they can be buffed, but water spots underneath or any imperfections add time. Depends on the coating though, they have come a long way. The early "glass coatings" were no more than a marketing term. Now they can really do most of what they claim. Most are still expensive and aren't as magical as some believe.

I'm just regurgitating observations from some of the best Detailer's in the world. Mostly from the AMMO podcasts when they sit down with Kevin Brown and others.

Coatings are still a great option for a base but I still believe in sealant and a good ole wax to add layers of protection and shine.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #39
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Coatings

Quote:
I still stand by what I said. Yes they can be buffed, but water spots underneath or any imperfections add time. Depends on the coating though, they have come a long way. The early "glass coatings" were no more than a marketing term. Now they can really do most of what they claim. Most are still expensive and aren't as magical as some believe.

I'm just regurgitating observations from some of the best Detailer's in the world. Mostly from the AMMO podcasts when they sit down with Kevin Brown and others.

Coatings are still a great option for a base but I still believe in sealant and a good ole wax to add layers of protection and shine.
I have the utmost respect for those in that podcast, but you have to think about why they were saying it at the time. They all worked for Meguairs, whom only makes a coating for the Asian market.
Some of the hair brained things with hitting them with lighters and such are a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, because you can actually do that with a waxed car as well, because it is just surface tension.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #40
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Quote:

I have the utmost respect for those in that podcast, but you have to think about why they were saying it at the time. They all worked for Meguairs, whom only makes a coating for the Asian market.
Some of the hair brained things with hitting them with lighters and such are a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, because you can actually do that with a waxed car as well, because it is just surface tension.

Bruce
Yeah that's a whole other realm! That's interesting about the Asian market. They seem tentative but I can hear in their voice they are realizing some of these paint protection films and coatings are here to stay.
Appreciate 0