09-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninX View Post
Nice car! The one I rented was also Laguna Blue. I have to say, the C7 looks even better in person than in photos.

I was comparing the interior to my Z4, and really, it was more of a toss up. There were definitely some things I liked better about the C7, like the customizable display that changes depending on the driving mode. I also like the overall driver-oriented cockpits of both cars.

My reservations about the C7's interior were mostly minor quibbles. There were some panel gaps and panels that weren't precisely aligned, and the big piece of plastic that surrounded the central gauges was hard plastic. More significantly, the A/C didn't seem to cool down the cabin as quickly as the one on my Z4, and it wasn't a particularly hot day. But that could have just been an issue with the particular car I rented. In any case, these were all minor things that wouldn't be dealbreakers.

The base C7 definitely includes a lot of features that would cost extra on a BMW (and ridiculously more on a Porsche). I found the standard GT seats comfortable, with all of the power adjustments I would want. In contrast, the base Cayman I drove didn't even have power seats (with the exception of the reclining back). If you want power seats on a Cayman, it'll run you about $4000 (!) including all of the required packages.

I agree with you on the air conditioning. I live in Texas, and this summer felt weird. The cabin felt super hot, which makes sense due to its small size. However, the atmosphere with A/C felt very hot. It just felt like cold AC was blowing in my face and not necessarily keeping the cabin cool
      09-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #24
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Wanted to be one of the first guys in town to own one. Still can't let go of the manual-transmission-only psyche. However, maybe it is just me, but 7 speed manual is one or two, too many gears.

The final deal breaker is the lack of an emergency hand brake. I would be willing to pay a thousand bucks extra for one.

If the M2 ends up a disappointment and the 2016/2017 Corvette ends up with an e-brake lever, a flip-flop is certainly there.

Last edited by rcoccultwar; 10-01-2015 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #25
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
With the M2, you will definitely get one of the best cars on the market with 4 seats! You will also get exclusivity. While I love my C7, they are everywhere in Texas! I'm happy I got a color that isn't too popular, and I have modded it to look different.
The funny thing is that where I live in Boston, BMWs are everywhere, even M cars, and Corvettes are rare. I've only seen two C7s on the road (and one parked).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #26
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

The Z06 with Z07 perf. pack on Motor Trends Best Drivers Car 2015 broke down and (rightly so) earned last place. Just sayin'

No point in it being affordable if it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #27
RoninX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
The Z06 with Z07 perf. pack on Motor Trends Best Drivers Car 2015 broke down and (rightly so) earned last place. Just sayin'

No point in it being affordable if it doesn't work.
The Z06 has had a lot of problems with overheating on the track, which is... bad, considering that it's entire purpose is to be a track car. But I'm only looking at the base model, so it's not an issue for me.

I was more concerned with the problems that Car & Driver was having with their long-term 2014 Corvette (blown engine, fuel pump failure x 2, rear axle leaking oil), and the 2014s in general seem to be pretty unreliable. On the plus side, GM seems to have solved a lot of these issues, and judging from the threads on the Corvette forums, the 2016 model doesn't seem to have as many problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #28
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

I'm an engineer.. I don't choose cars based on image. Old guys like it because they can afford it and it was the car to have while they were growing up. Fine by me. Doesn't diminish the car. As for the interior, I've sat in Corvette's and their interior is good enough. I also think they have their reliability issues under control.

I want the utility of an M2. When I go out shopping I want stuff to fit. When I want to move around a guitar and amp, don't want to have to plan it out. Want peace and quiet when I want it and blast to drive when I want that. If M2's aren't available at a reasonable price, a Corvette is on the backup list but I would have to think about the utility.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #29
JohnNC-M2CS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS on order

Garage List
2020 BMW/M@ CS  [0.00]
2016 M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
I want the utility of an M2. When I go out shopping I want stuff to fit. When I want to move around a guitar and amp, don't want to have to plan it out. Want peace and quiet when I want it and blast to drive when I want that. If M2's aren't available at a reasonable price, a Corvette is on the backup list but I would have to think about the utility.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #30
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Just make sure you get a manual transmission. The auto seems to be having problems including overheating. You also want to make sure you don't use the 4 cylinder highway deactivation thing because it was rumored to be causing thrust bearing failure.

There have been lots of reports of bad paint / panel quality and a seemingly high number of engine failures even on the base C7. Not as bad as the Z06 though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #31
RoninX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
I'm an engineer.. I don't choose cars based on image. Old guys like it because they can afford it and it was the car to have while they were growing up. Fine by me. Doesn't diminish the car. As for the interior, I've sat in Corvette's and their interior is good enough. I also think they have their reliability issues under control.

If you're thinking primarily about cargo space, the Corvette actually has a large amount of space under the rear hatch. I wouldn't be surprised if it could carry larger items there than in the M2's trunk.

On the other hand, if you need four seats, the M2 is the only choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #32
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninX View Post

On the other hand, if you need four seats, the M2 is the only choice.
True.. I've never tried fitting anything in the back hatch of a C7 and that would take some looking into. Still, guessing that the back seats will fold down on the M2. In that configuration you can make a Costco haul. Also, small back seats are perfect to toss a backpack or guitar in.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #33
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Took a C7 out for a test drive and found the performance extremely satisfying. The few things that stuck with me was how well planted it felt, the acceleration/passing power, the cornering, and, the sound of that exhaust.

I do have quality concerns based on the number of issues I have seen reported. GM does appear to be standing behind their product, the warranty is only 3yrs 36k. It is some serious bang for your buck.

If GM drops one of those 20% off red tag stickers on a trim I am looking at could seal my fate else I will see what happens for MY2018.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx118.00
      11-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #34
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

The C7 is the first Corvette that I considered buying based on looks and performance. Unfortunately, there is not enough headroom which made it a nonstarter (I have more headroom in a Z4). I drove a base 2016 Cayman 6 speed which had enough room, but I missed the low end torque (engine sounded great though!) and wished it was a S. I didn't drive the 718 because they did not have one in a manual. When you price out a base Cayman comparably equipped to a M2 it is still at least 10k more than a M2 (and the Cayman S is even higher). Basically, after my test drive in the Cayman, I told the Porsche dealer for the money and utility, I'd be better off buying a M2. Also, having a family and trying to be responsible on the safety side, the 2 series has great crash test scores (TSP+ with IIHS) and there is no independent testing of either the Corvette or Porsche Boxster/Cayman that I have found (IIHS, NHTSA, EuroNCAP, or ANCAP). Thus, after driving a 228i m sport manual and seeing a M2 in person, my manual transmission M2 is on order!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #35
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Have an M2 on order but I love cars and my short list is the Corvette Grand Sport, the ZL1, the GT350R. I like the GT4 but wouldnt pay 100k for one and love the GT3's but are still 140-150k. The other car on my list is an R8 and used ones are 70k-100k depending on year/options. Decisions decisions.....The only way I could justify the GT3 is if I sold my 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #36
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I would love a C7 Gran Sport. Amazing package.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #37
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Corvette has always had an image problem that seems to be continued with the C7. Anything other than the ZO6 is driven by old guys.
+1 Exactly this. Not to endorse a stereotype, but all the cars and coffee events will be very... bland...

One of the cool things about owning a BMW imho is that there is such a wide variety of people that own them. Always interesting to see who you can meet.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #38
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

The Grand Sport base 7MT is where it's at for Vettes IMO. I hear dealers take 10% off so that puts you in the low 60s.

I would pass on the narrow body.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #39
hhuffman
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Hey RoninX, I went through this SAME debate the past few months. I've driven/lived in Boston and NH for 30 years and this is the first year I've ever even owned snow tires. I've wanted a C7 since it came out and asked a thousand people "but why can't I drive a 'vette in the winter?", and the response is always "THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE........CRAZY!". I can't afford two cars so I went conservative and got a M235i and put snow tires on it, but I'm still not convinced that a competent driver, with a C7 and snow tires can't make it though the winter as a daily driver. If you end up going this route, please let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #40
HalfMoon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z06/Z07 - 2017 SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuffman View Post
Hey RoninX, I went through this SAME debate the past few months. I've driven/lived in Boston and NH for 30 years and this is the first year I've ever even owned snow tires. I've wanted a C7 since it came out and asked a thousand people "but why can't I drive a 'vette in the winter?", and the response is always "THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE........CRAZY!". I can't afford two cars so I went conservative and got a M235i and put snow tires on it, but I'm still not convinced that a competent driver, with a C7 and snow tires can't make it though the winter as a daily driver. If you end up going this route, please let me know how it goes.
They never met Phantasms from the Corvette forum.

Z06/Z07 he dailies in NY:

I have a Z07 and an M235i, but no snow. The only reason I don't drive the Z07 in the rain/cold is due to the Sport Cup 2 tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #41
hhuffman
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon View Post
They never met Phantasms from the Corvette forum.

Z06/Z07 he dailies in NY:

I have a Z07 and an M235i, but no snow. The only reason I don't drive the Z07 in the rain/cold is due to the Sport Cup 2 tires.
AWESOME! Thanks for the post HalfMoon. I can hope. I am actually seriously thinking Porsche 4S for my next daily driver. There doesn't seem to be any reason that couldn't handle some good winter driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #42
dpriceslc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future BMW M2

I got on the waiting list for an M2 early on and began looking at the C7 as my patience was wearing thin. I ended buying this beauty and I've never been happier. Prior to this I owned a 335i Coupe.
Attached Images

Last edited by dpriceslc; 01-26-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      01-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #43
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpriceslc View Post
I got on the waiting list for an M2 early on and began looking at the C7 as my patience was wearing thin. I ended buying this beauty and I've never been happier. Prior to this I owned a 335i Coupe.
Looks like a beast! Congrats
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #44
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpriceslc View Post
Looks really good blacked out, masking the overly extroverted nuances such as scoops and other typical C7 design features that I don't care for. I think GM over designed the model. Yours looks more understated, albeit very aggressive.
Appreciate 0