BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > UPDATE: SALES NOW APPROVED. BMW Diesel Models Delayed by More Stringent EPA Testing

08-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #45
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Here you go!
bruh. You winning!
      08-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #46
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
X5 35d is a beast to have. But, it's a cross over?
brah, I highly suggest getting a F15 35d as you're having a kid. Get a nice 2 year old preowned one under original warranty. You can probably have a great one in the $40k range. Look for M Sport too. I wish I waited for the F15...I pulled the trigger too fast on my E70 35d.

You just going to need a bigger car. The 3-series is not sufficient for baby gear. My X5 is so roomy, sometimes, I change my kid on the back seat bench instead of inside the store....yeah, it's that roomy. I just move the front seat all the way up, and there's enough room for me to squat inside and move around to change the kid.
      08-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #47
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
I'm sure someone knows the answer to this, I don't.... But what is the difference of the environmental impact of the extra refinement needed to get the oil to petrol versus diesel versus the emissions difference of the two?

That said unless you are powering your Tesla off of a solar or other natural energy source how would that stack up? And knowing how Lithium is sourced and transported the process has an impact... Nothing's perfect - some are better than others.
probably not....what does the google machine say?

Look, driving any car is not environmentally friendly. Hell, eating meat and nuts isn't either. It's best we all just strap ourselves to machines for most efficient sustenance a-la the matrix....

01-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #48
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Updated 8/3/16

via Automotive News:

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Tuesday it has approved the sale of new 2017 model year BMW AG diesel vehicles in the United States after a thorough review.

Chris Grundler, head of the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, told reporters on the sidelines of an automotive conference the agency granted certification to BMW on Friday. BMW had said last month that U.S. product certification of all 2017 BMW diesel models has been delayed due to testing logistics.

"We tested the vehicles every which way from Sunday," Grundler said. "We asked for more data from the company."

In September, the EPA said it would review all U.S. diesel vehicles following an admission from Volkswagen AG that it installed software in cars allowing them to emit up to 40 times legally permissible level of pollution.

Grundler said the agency has not yet approved sale of Daimler AG's 2017 diesel Mercedes-Benz vehicles. "Discussions continue," Grundler said, declining to elaborate on why EPA has not approved certifications for the Mercedes vehicles.

In April, Daimer disclosed the U.S. Justice Department had asked the carmaker to investigate its emissions certification process for vehicles including its Mercedes brand.

Last month, Daimler said EPA and the California Air Resources Board were also conducting inquiries. Daimler said in its earnings release that it could face "delays in obtaining regulatory approvals necessary to introduce new diesel models, which could cause significant collateral damage including reputational harm."

BMW said about 4 percent of U.S. sales last year were diesel models.

VW still hasn't received approval to sell 2016 diesel vehicles in the U.S. and hasn't asked the EPA for permission to sell 2017 diesel models, Grundler said.

Original post: 7/20/16

Via Autonews:

The EPA’s crackdown on diesels has delayed the certification and sale of four BMW models.

BMW confirmed it is still awaiting production certification of all 2017 diesels and would not say now long this would take.

“In light of recent events, agencies are taking longer to certify diesel models for the U.S., but there has been no indication that BMW’s diesel models do not meet all requisite emission standards or that there is a defeat device in the vehicle,” BMW said in a statement.

The affected 2017 models are the 328d sedan, the 328d Sports Wagon, and the X3 xDrive28d and X5 xDrive35d crossovers. A spokesman said production will begin “once homologation has been finalized.”

The EPA would not specifically confirm delaying BMW’s models. But the agency did confirm in an email: “It is true that diesel vehicles are getting extra scrutiny and that has extended the certification process longer than normal. In general, manufacturers have been supportive of this additional testing and have adjusted their timing to account for the additional test duration.”

Regulators are subjecting diesels to additional testing because of the ongoing scandal over Volkswagen diesels. VW admitted last fall that it rigged some 11 million diesel-powered vehicles worldwide with defeat device software that turns emissions controls on only when the vehicle senses it’s being tested. In regular driving, the systems turn off, which boosts engine performance and fuel economy but permits up to 40 times the legal limit of pollution.

Updated (Autoblog): http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/17/2...-sales-update/

BMW is about to start building model year 2017 diesel cars for the US

In what may be a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" moment, BMW is starting to produce model year 2017 diesel-powered vehicles earmarked for the US. Oil-burning variants of BMW's 3 Series sedan and wagon as well as diesel versions of its X3 and X5 SUVs may soon hit these shores. Zimmer spokeswoman Rebecca Kiehne confirmed to Autoblog that diesel models such as the 328d Sedan, 328d Sports Wagon, X3 xDrive28d, and X5 xDrive35d will start production "shortly." Green Car Reports previously reported on the production plans.

Last July the EPA said it would delay BMW diesel sales in the US because US regulators were taking longer than expected to certify the vehicles. BMW confirmed to Autoblog at the time that certification for the 2017 model year 328d Sedan, 328d Sports Wagon, X3 xDrive28d, and X5 xDrive35d had been held off.

By sending diesel vehicles to the US, Bimmer would be jumping back into the domestic diesel market as Volkswagen continues to sort out the mess caused by its diesel-emissions scandal, in which the automaker was found to have installed software that programs the cars to emit artificially low amounts of emissions while they're being tested. Last week, the VW board approved a $4.3 billion settlement with US authorities as part of a civil and criminal probe. Both VW and Audi haven't sold diesel vehicles in the US since late 2015.

In 2015, BMW diesels accounted for just 4 percent of the cars the German automaker sold in the US. By comparison, diesel-powered vehicles accounted for about 25 percent of Volkswagen's US sales before its diesel-emissions scandal broke in September 2015.
      01-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #49
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I want a BMW with an electric motor, fast charging and range over 200+ miles. Leave the M's out of it though

If not, I will be going Tesla
If I were to go electric right now, it'd be GM for sure. Tesla has a long way to go to build a car that doesn't fall apart after a couple years (and cost a small fortune).

Been hearing so much good things about diesels lately though, I think that would be my first choice for a good gas mileage vehicle.

But until gas goes over $6/gallon minimum, I am perfectly happy in the 20-25mpg range.
      01-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #50
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

328D wagon would be SUCH a nice DD

Just wish they would give us a 6MT as an option
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      01-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #51
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
328D wagon would be SUCH a nice DD

Just wish they would give us a 6MT as an option
328dx Touring for DD and M4 GTS for nice days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pz6193277.00
vadimo310.00
      01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #52
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
328dx Touring for DD and M4 GTS for nice days.

How reliable has your 328D been?

You think you'll get hundreds of thousands of miles out of one?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #53
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:

I only got it back in May of this year. Have not had any issues with it so far. It's a lease, so I don't think I will keep it for "hundreds or thousands of miles".

It's great for daily driving and very efficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #54
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I only got it back in May of this year. Have not had any issues with it so far. It's a lease, so I don't think I will keep it for "hundreds or thousands of miles".

It's great for daily driving and very efficient.
Yea, ,my DD is a 10yr old TDI

Still get 45mpg with 300k on the clock with a clutch replacement, cam, brakes and timing belts every 80k, oil and fuel filters.....and really nothing more than that........

I'd like to get 400k or more out of it.....but I need to give some consideration to an eventual replacement.....and BMW is sooooo much more comfortable......

I love my M240 but its not going to be my DD........I drive toooooo much

Part of me would like a JCW mini cooper....same engine as the 230 but its like 500lbs lighter

IDK.....I have a bad feeling that I will go to the dark side on my next DD and get a GTI or JCW....at least for a couple years
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #55
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

what makes you think diesel not reliable. or less? as long as you service and look after it should be fine.

here is mine

Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0