BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Extended bolts or Studs

01-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Was just saying that putting the bolt 10 turns down on the stud isn't going to make the stud stick out on any similarly (i.e. long) lug nut, and that the part of the stud sticking out past the threads on the nut isn't doing much for safety, unless it's allowing the wobbling wheel to stay on longer or giving you more time to notice the nut has backed off.

In other words, the threads of the nut are only holding on to the threads of the stud closest to the wheel, the others are just dangling in the breeze. I'm going to agree that these studs don't look long enough to support a 10-15mm spacer, but let's see how it goes when you install one tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #24
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
Was just saying that putting the bolt 10 turns down on the stud isn't going to make the stud stick out on any similarly (i.e. long) lug nut, and that the part of the stud sticking out past the threads on the nut isn't doing much for safety, unless it's allowing the wobbling wheel to stay on longer or giving you more time to notice the nut has backed off.

In other words, the threads of the nut are only holding on to the threads of the stud closest to the wheel, the others are just dangling in the breeze. I'm going to agree that these studs don't look long enough to support a 10-15mm spacer, but let's see how it goes when you install one tonight.
Well 10 turns was the minimum that is required by TPi to hold the wheel, it will turn more on this stud, but if the stud is longer more will stick out of the top of the nut once tightened down. My feeling was that the stud should stick out past the end of the nut regardless. The more threads on the stud that are captured by the nut the better. And if the nut did loosen then the longer stud would certainly be better.

Anyway I did install one stud last night, I did not put the spacer on because I did not feel like pulling the wheel off. But as you can see, when it is just the wheel the stud is fine. It comes to basically the end of the treads on the nut and was probably around 18 or so turns of the nut for it to get seated. With the addition of the 10mm spacer it should still be well within the 10 turn range. But I still don't really like the fact that stud doesn't stick through the end of the nut.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #25
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I think the only downside here is aesthetics, but I plan to go with a longer stud length when I convert mine, as I agree it looks better with the stud sticking through the end of the nut.

That's a bummer, because the price on these is so low, especially given that they come with nice lug nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #26
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I agree. Not sure if I am gonna keep them. I may just buy some longer studs and keep the nuts.

Appreciate 0