BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Screeching noise from rear wheels

06-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
badluck
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Screeching noise from rear wheels

Im getting a really bad screeching noise like metal grinding from the rear wheels. Im thinking it may be the same issue m3 owners have had with stones getting stuck in between the guard and brakes?

Has anyone experienced this? its happened to me now every time ive driven the car and i'm pretty worried about damage occurring?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck View Post
Im getting a really bad screeching noise like metal grinding from the rear wheels. Im thinking it may be the same issue m3 owners have had with stones getting stuck in between the guard and brakes?

Has anyone experienced this? its happened to me now every time ive driven the car and i'm pretty worried about damage occurring?
Yes, that sounds like the exact issue that M3 owners have. I think I had one get caught as it was a terrible noise, but it fell out as soon as I took a left turn near my house. If it continues much longer, i'd take it to the dealer and have them pull the wheels to get the stones to come loose (Assuming the dealer is decently close).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:48 AM   #3
badluck
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Yes, that sounds like the exact issue that M3 owners have. I think I had one get caught as it was a terrible noise, but it fell out as soon as I took a left turn near my house. If it continues much longer, i'd take it to the dealer and have them pull the wheels to get the stones to come loose (Assuming the dealer is decently close).
yeh ive been getting it on and off for 3 days in a row now. doesnt sound healthy. Taking it to the dealer today.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

I got the same issue
lasted like an entire day

but went away after
      06-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
badluck
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
I got the same issue
lasted like an entire day

but went away after

I took mine into BMW today and they said they needed to check it over, hopefully will know what is going on tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

It sounds like pebbles caught between rotor and the metal heat shield. You can reach in and push on shield and the pebble falls out. It has happened to me several times on my e90 M3 and the M2. It is crazy how loud it is for a tiny pebble. Everyone thinks you just got married and are dragging cans behind the car.
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
badluck
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
It sounds like pebbles caught between rotor and the metal heat shield. You can reach in and push on shield and the pebble falls out. It has happened to me several times on my e90 M3 and the M2. It is crazy how loud it is for a tiny pebble. Everyone thinks you just got married and are dragging cans behind the car.
I tried that, nothing fell out. I think its something more serious in my case
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Fullofdays
Private
Rep
Drives: m

this happened to me last week. It's road pebbles getting caught between the rotor and heat shield. I'm considering removing the heat shields to resolve this issue...
      06-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
This happened to me on the M Tour, the engineer with us said it's normal and to just push the shield to remove the stones. I didn't notice the sound much, but another guy on the tour noticed it when he was outside the cars while I was reversing.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 6
      07-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Is it quite a metallic clangy noise you guys are hearing? I have had it on a few occasions, only lasts for a second or so then stops.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Is it quite a metallic clangy noise you guys are hearing? I have had it on a few occasions, only lasts for a second or so then stops.
Yes. It sucks and is very embarrassing. I get it all the time in the M2. Only had it happen a couple of times in the 1M over a 5 yr period. Guys over on the M4 board say that BMW is aware of it and even though they can't do anything about it to go ahead and report to your SA. They think if BMW gets enough complaints that they might do something about it.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
jjr261
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I'm glad to hear about this and the root cause not being something really serious.

I have had it happen a few times on my M2 for very short periods (including yesterday), with it literally sounding like the muffler was dragging on the pavement, or a string of cans being towed behind the car.

Before seeing this string I was thinking that perhaps this noise somehow related to a TSB for a loose stiffening plate some early production (like mine) cars apparently had, but I haven't got any sort of notice on this and don't want to bother bringing the car in to the dealer for this unless my car is specifically affected by this TSB, and the car is super tight and squeak/rattle free other than these very sporadic and short-lived disc brake stone issues....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
jjr261
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
This happened to me on the M Tour, the engineer with us said it's normal and to just push the shield to remove the stones. I didn't notice the sound much, but another guy on the tour noticed it when he was outside the cars while I was reversing.
I found this video related to current generation M3/M4 cars (exact same brakes as our M2) that shows as the first item on the list exactly where this is happening and how to move the shields to free any stuff stuck there.

Some of the other M3/M4 'problem's' addressed later in this video are interesting and likely relevant for M2's, such as the manual mode kick down feature - need to test that on my DCT M2, or entertaining (such as dealing with the 'poo sound' new M3/M4 cars make).

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/te...50.html#agal_0
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Get a small pry bar and bend the shields back a bit, the rocks will fall out.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

This issue may also be related to the recent differential recall. Here is a direct quote from my guys:

Quote:
"My master technician suspects that the differentials may grow noisy with time, this is something the factory would only have noticed after some driving. Again, this is all just speculation. "
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #16
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
This issue may also be related to the recent differential recall. Here is a direct quote from my guys:
Doubt it. The brake dust shield and differential are quite different in location. BMW has nothing to hide on the issue, so if they say differential, it's the diff. If they had say a brake issue, this would be it.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 - AW --> SUNROOF

Happened to my M2 when I was driving it home after pick up from the showroom.

As a mechanic I knew what it was and simply reversed the car for 30 or so meters and it was gone.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
It's a different sound... it's not the diff IMO. When you hear it on yours, you'll know what I mean. Its a scraping, clangy sound and when you hear it outside the car, it sounds like it's coming from the wheel.

I've had noisy differentials and this isn't the same thing. A noisy differential will present itself when you turn (mostly in tight turns). This sound happens randomly (turning, driving straight, hit a bump) and is a metal on metal screech... which is simply something caught in the dust shield grinding away until it dislodges. The sticky PSS tires throw tons of crap up in the wheel wells and some get caught in the shields. I had similar noises in my M4 too.

If, in fact, it is the rear differential, then something is REALLY wrong and loose in there

P.S. Given no one has any idea what the issue really is, the master tech is simply guessing at this point anyway. He hasn't seen or heard the issue nor has BMW given any direction as to what it is. Therefore, not sure his comment tells us much other than he has more knowledgeable speculation than our less informed speculation
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 07-23-2016 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #19
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
As others have said, 90% chance it's a stone. Sometimes they get lodged in there really well. Try pushing the heat shield in multiple places, and also tapping on the heat shield with the handle (grip) of a screw driver.

Worked for me. Driving forward and reversing a few times can also do it.

Edit: Just realized I responded to an old post. I'mmmm dumb.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      04-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #20
im2
Rep
Drives: M2/Jeep Overland

i recently had this same problem, thought i might share my experience. randomly started getting the brake scratching tin can noise on my m2 passenger rear, thought it might be heat shields and bent them back and cleared out any debris. nope. so i took the wheel/brake assembly apart. what i finally tracked it down to was the parking brake assembly. maybe it was due to a rock or something getting lodged, but regardless it was off center. so every time the wheel came around it would scrape just a little against the steel on the parking brake assembly. there is an adjuster on the parking brake you can turn counter clockwise to loosen the brake (read as make smaller in diameter) and then i re-centered the assembly by ear, ie reassemble and spin listening for scraping take apart and adjust again. after several rounds of re-assembly and several aimless trips around town im noise free. i imagine you down have to mess too much with the tension on the parking brake and can play more with the centering of the assembly but i never use my parking brake so it did make the whole project much easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

I had the same issue a while back - it sounded like I was dragging a piece of sheet metal behind the car, not to mention making it sound like the rear end was falling apart. Having read about the pebble in the heat shield, I assumed that is what was causing the noise. As the noise occurred randomly forward or backing, I finally pinned the noise down to one rear wheel. Turned out to be a very small pebble lodged between the caliper and the disk, on the outside of the disk. It was stuck in there pretty good, and took a screw driver to pop it out. I was just thankful it didn't score the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I think I have this. Noticeable at low speed with the window down. Sounded like rasping, steel on steel kinda scraping sound.
I'll inspect the brakes tomorrow, really hope it is just this, I was so worried when I heard it.

Another reason having an active forum community is so valuable.
Appreciate 1