BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Deposit made, but could have avoided the wait.

11-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 xDrive Competition

Deposit made, but could have avoided the wait.

Earlier this evening I made a $1k deposit with one of my local dealerships. As of February I was on "the list" but without money down I wasn't moving up at all. As of now I am #14 and by their estimates I am still about a year out to even get an order in. The frustrating part is I could have actually had a brand new M2 in my garage this past Saturday. While out and about Saturday afternoon I received a call from my sales advisor, he said an M2 came in but the person that ordered it backed out, obviously I was over there in less than 10 minutes and went down stairs where it was hidded it to take a look. It was everything, for the most part I would have ordered, but was on the fence about the DCT and additional $2500 M Driver's package everything else was great, Alpine white, black grilles, carbon mirror caps, exec package. Eventually I would put the carbon trunk spoiler on it and maybe the side and bumper lips as well but that's another story. Anyways, I had my current 135i appraised (19k miles and showroom clean) and they offered a little lower than what I had hoped, needless to say I left that day without the M2 but got very little to no sleep over the next 3 nights. So Tuesday after work I went back to the dealership after verifying it was still available 2 hours earlier, upon arrival I was told that it was no longer for sale but the sale wasn't final and it could become available again. So I checked back again today and it is still "not final" but if it opens up I plan on buying it, especially after finding out how much longer I'll have to way. Moral of the story is, don't wait if you find one that is at least the color you want with some of the options you'd choose or you'll regret it as I am at this very moment.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      12-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I see the problem... ! " local dealership"

No idea why you are waiting on the local stealer which is only bringing in cars that are marked up with all options including aftermarket parts. That car would has 6k in options you don't want. This is an M2 and not a Porsche. You don't have to buy options you don't want.

As far as your dealer handling the allocation that has come in. Your local dealer is selling to the HIGHEST bidder ( hint - there is no list at that dealer !! ) and jerking your chain in the meanwhile. They likely had 14 people in a line and have called them all and given them the same story. They are just waiting for one person to come in and pay their markup.

If you truly want an M2, your best bet is to NOT buy local. You can still get the car serviced locally where ever you purchase it ... so why are you only looking at local dealers ??

Look around the forums and you will see that most people are finding cars outside their local market area and picking the car up and driving home. I would rather spend $600 flying across the US to get my car and driving it back home with the experience of a lifetime in my memory banks as opposed to throwing an extra 6k at my local client advisor.
Appreciate 4
BAN_M2C4180.00
termigni1081.00
      12-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
a year wait is ridiculous. max 6 months. look around there are some M2s to be had.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Similar situation with my local dealer. I ended up buying from a member and couldn't be happier with my decision. Why not jump on GetMetNow's 2017 AW M2 in the FS thread and keep that extra $4-5k for mods?
      12-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I found another Apline White, 6 Speed but it is almost 500 miles from me. Since I'd be using my current car (135i) as a trade it would be quite the journey to get there and back. The driving could probably be done easily but I do worry about the really bad roads chipping up the paint or windshield before I even get it home (winter time in this region). I've looked into shipping but I'm also not trying to add to the cost. This M2 has been on the lot for 2 weeks surprisingly, I've already contacted them for more details.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phresh1 View Post
I found another Apline White, 6 Speed but it is almost 500 miles from me. Since I'd be using my current car (135i) as a trade it would be quite the journey to get there and back. The driving could probably be done easily but I do worry about the really bad roads chipping up the paint or windshield before I even get it home (winter time in this region). I've looked into shipping but I'm also not trying to add to the cost. This M2 has been on the lot for 2 weeks surprisingly, I've already contacted them for more details.
A couple of people posting about performance center pickup did this:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Oh come on, man! 500 miles is an easy days' drive. Grab a buddy and some coffee. Head out at sunrise and go get that car!

Yes, you might get a rock chip. So what. It's Alpine White so touch-up will be a snap. You could gamble on whether or not you get a rock chip and spend the next year driving your 135 and waiting. Or, you could go get that car and spend the next year enjoying it! I just got back from a 3600 mile road trip with 2 friends. NJ to Seattle, by way of the Moab desert. One of most memorable trips of my life. Road trips are great and a road trip in an M2 is going to be even better. I think you'll kick yourself if you pass up on this one.
Appreciate 2
SoCalRob281.00
      12-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Oh come on, man! 500 miles is an easy days' drive. Grab a buddy and some coffee. Head out at sunrise and go get that car!

Yes, you might get a rock chip. So what. It's Alpine White so touch-up will be a snap. You could gamble on whether or not you get a rock chip and spend the next year driving your 135 and waiting. Or, you could go get that car and spend the next year enjoying it!
Amen! Not to mention, you could also get a rock chip 2 miles from home. -scr
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
Amen! Not to mention, you could also get a rock chip 2 miles from home. -scr
This is true, however I've had my 135i for just over 4 years and not a single chip!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

Yes, you might get a rock chip. So what. It's Alpine White so touch-up will be a snap. You could gamble on whether or not you get a rock chip and spend the next year driving your 135 and waiting. Or, you could go get that car and spend the next year enjoying it! I just got back from a 3600 mile road trip with 2 friends. NJ to Seattle, by way of the Moab desert. One of most memorable trips of my life. Road trips are great and a road trip in an M2 is going to be even better. I think you'll kick yourself if you pass up on this one.
I'm actually working on the numbers with them via email, it does like they have it marked up some, base package with exec add on for $59k.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post

I actually thought about this, did it on a new Honda Civic Si I bought about 8 years ago. Definitely helped even though people thought I was crazy for doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post

Oh my. I love the enthusiasm! My M2 is my daily driver, so driving 6 hours each way to pick it up, while I was nervous about ricks with every truck I passed, was just the start of the journey for me and this magnificent machine. Sooooo worth the effort!!!!
      12-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Personally, I enjoy road trips to pick up new cars. The M2 was 850 miles from home.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't get the problem with the possibility of a rock chip on a windshield. Short of never driving it you will always have some risk of damage from driving. Its a car not a museum piece.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I don't get the problem with the possibility of a rock chip on a windshield. Short of never driving it you will always have some risk of damage from driving. Its a car not a museum piece.
I thought the same when another poster said they were worried about picking up a car a few hundred miles away that's intended to be used as a daily driver ?

The car could get a rock chip to the front end or glass just going to work any day of the week. :

If one were trying to pick up a car and get it back to a museum or it will be a garage queen/collectible.. that seeming would be a car that needs to get home unscathed. But a car that's going back out onto the same streets day after day.. something will eventually happen , whether a rock hits it or a driver pulls out in front of you. (see my screen name - no need to ask me how I know ! )
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
a year wait is ridiculous. max 6 months. look around there are some M2s to be had.
If you sat on a list and didn't entertain Mark up fuckery then a year wait is the norm IMO. That's what I did and I was #6 at a high volume dealer

Edit- you'll realize that lots of people on this forum are OCD, so I ignore the obsession over real life damage concerns . I'd probably only do that tape job if I had picked up a M4GTS or something lol. Not a regular ///M
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
This is true, however I've had my 135i for just over 4 years and not a single chip!
Really??? Was this car ever driven on a public road or highway? LOL

I hate rock chips but once you get that first one, you don't give a poop anymore. And cars should come with a rock chip from the factory anyways, less stress for everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Quote:
Earlier this evening I made a $1k deposit with one of my local dealerships. As of February I was on "the list" but without money down I wasn't moving up at all. As of now I am #14 and by their estimates I am still about a year out to even get an order in. The frustrating part is I could have actually had a brand new M2 in my garage this past Saturday. While out and about Saturday afternoon I received a call from my sales advisor, he said an M2 came in but the person that ordered it backed out, obviously I was over there in less than 10 minutes and went down stairs where it was hidded it to take a look. It was everything, for the most part I would have ordered, but was on the fence about the DCT and additional $2500 M Driver's package everything else was great, Alpine white, black grilles, carbon mirror caps, exec package. Eventually I would put the carbon trunk spoiler on it and maybe the side and bumper lips as well but that's another story. Anyways, I had my current 135i appraised (19k miles and showroom clean) and they offered a little lower than what I had hoped, needless to say I left that day without the M2 but got very little to no sleep over the next 3 nights. So Tuesday after work I went back to the dealership after verifying it was still available 2 hours earlier, upon arrival I was told that it was no longer for sale but the sale wasn't final and it could become available again. So I checked back again today and it is still "not final" but if it opens up I plan on buying it, especially after finding out how much longer I'll have to way. Moral of the story is, don't wait if you find one that is at least the color you want with some of the options you'd choose or you'll regret it as I am at this very moment.
Bro there are M2's sitting on lots across the country. Literally no reason to wait five minutes for this car. And you should be able to get one at MSRP without too much trouble too...
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post

I hate rock chips but once you get that first one, you don't give a poop anymore. And cars should come with a rock chip from the factory anyways, less stress for everyone
Sure was, just never in the Winter time. It's seen it share of interstate travel too but having a daily driver which takes the worst of it is the key.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #20
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82FTW View Post
Bro there are M2's sitting on lots across the country. Literally no reason to wait five minutes for this car. And you should be able to get one at MSRP without too much trouble too...
Looking at the next closest one in my region, 500 miles away, but they accidentally sent me the build sheet with the MSRP on it. It's marked up $5k which would cover all the additons I'd put on it. I'll be in Southern California next week going to shop around there, found at least 2 @ MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
And cars should come with a rock chip from the factory anyways, less stress for everyone
Is that what people mean when they talk about getting their cars chipped? -scr
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Or perhaps A roundel that falls off and a differential that's balky
Appreciate 0