BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Acceleration Lag

11-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Acceleration Lag

Maybe I'm crazy or just not used to "modern" cars.

Had my M2 for almost 2 months just went in for the 1200 mile service today.

Keep it in Comfort mode most of the time (highway commute).

It feels as though acceleration is a bit laggy. Sometimes with a slight hesitation.

Normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
asmith918
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnnyj View Post

It feels as though acceleration is a bit laggy. Sometimes with a slight hesitation.

Thanks.
Put it in sport+ and step on it... you're in for a treat!
In comfort the ecu doesn't give you everything at once to make the ride more "comfortable" and not jerky.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith918 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Put it in sport+ and step on it... you're in for a treat!
In comfort the ecu doesn't give you everything at once to make the ride more "comfortable" and not jerky.
Not only that the dme learns his driving habits. He needs to even forget about that car having a comfort setting. I live in sport +...
SoCalRob281.00
      11-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

also, in many parts of the country, the streets and tires are cold (< 45 F)

that means traction control is going to pull throttle until you finally get grip, which could be as high as 50+ mph. even in Sport+ traction control is enabled (but allows a tiny bit of wheel spin)

not sure if that's what's happening in your case, but it's worth mentioning since it's nearly winter
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:47 AM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I do noticed a lag, which is different, or should I call it not-responding-at-all to be more precise, that happens occasionally. That is when you lift throttle, hold it for some 2~3 seconds and slightly push again. It looks like computer thinks you'll be cruising when you lift and not pushing it immediately, therefore it does not respond to that slight input.

I am close to break in service miles, but it still happens occasionally, even in sport mode. You will have to give more gas in that situation to wake it up. It probably comes down to driving style and it can be just me that's experiencing it. Not a problem at all, just reporting my findings.
      11-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #6
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I do noticed a lag, which is different, or should I call it not-responding-at-all to be more precise, that happens occasionally. That is when you lift throttle, hold it for some 2~3 seconds and slightly push again. It looks like computer thinks you'll be cruising when you lift and not pushing it immediately, therefore it does not respond to that slight input.

I am close to break in service miles, but it still happens occasionally, even in sport mode. You will have to give more gas in that situation to wake it up. It probably comes down to driving style and it can be just me that's experiencing it. Not a problem at all, just reporting my findings.
Car goes into fuel cut decel mode when you take your foot off the gas at speed. As in, no fuel and no spark until you step on the gas again. Might be feeling that as slight delay. Also the turbo in this car spins down super quick so if you have the 6 spd you have to keep it pretty high in the rev range between shifts
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:

First turbo car?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Ditch comfort mode... cannot stand the desensitised throttle input.

Sport mode and above keeps me happy.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Quote:

First turbo car?
The 3rd one.

Have 328 and had A45 AMG. Both are much less responsive than m2, which is maybe why I felt "normal" when experiencing the same kind of "lag".
      11-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:

Car goes into fuel cut decel mode when you take your foot off the gas at speed. As in, no fuel and no spark until you step on the gas again. Might be feeling that as slight delay. Also the turbo in this car spins down super quick so if you have the 6 spd you have to keep it pretty high in the rev range between shifts
Probably has something to do with turbo spinning down and BOV stepping in.

Mine is a DCT and I wasn't completely off gas when I "lift and hold".

Overall, I think m2 n55 is the most responsive and quick spooling engine in the market.
      11-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

I must admit the M2's engine feels incredibly linear in it's delivery and spookily N/A like. It's just a progressive wave of torque. Supremely good power delivery to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:

Overall, I think m2 n55 is the most responsive and quick spooling engine in the market.
I agree with this.

When you lift your foot off the accelerator you close the T body and this leaves air in the intake pipe that can go back against the turbo if it is not sent somewhere - bov steps in to get rid or recerculate. if you are very quick it could be in a state of no air in intercooler or pipes so it now has a void, turbo spools to fill the void and you have a little lag... At least that is how I have always understood it
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      11-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Quote:

I agree with this.

When you lift your foot off the accelerator you close the T body and this leaves air in the intake pipe that can go back against the turbo if it is not sent somewhere - bov steps in to get rid or recerculate. if you are very quick it could be in a state of no air in intercooler or pipes so it now has a void, turbo spools to fill the void and you have a little lag... At least that is how I have always understood it
Doesn't exactly work like that, on the N55 the valvetronic controls most of your air not the throttle body. This is something that has been relatively discovered when tuning these motors and how little impact the throttle body has especially at idle. Believe it or not the car will still run without the throttle body on or it being plugged in. Don't ask how I know .

There's also no BOV, only a diverter valve and a waste gate. But yes in relative terms the recirculating air and the lag of the turbo regardless of it being a twin power variable vain it'll still lag. S55 made use of the twin turbos and has much better response time and virtually no noticeable lag.
      11-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1322317
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Welcome to turbo lag. Modern cars hide it really well but get up and go from stop is apparent regardless if computer applying full throttle to get turbos going.

No lag is what u want, go for big V8 American muscle.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Welcome to turbo lag. Modern cars hide it really well but get up and go from stop is apparent regardless if computer applying full throttle to get turbos going.

No lag is what u want, go for big V8 American muscle.
Only partly agreed. Unfortunately even a Corvette C7 could be better as it is today (see C7 users complaining about throttle response). No comparison with the responsiveness of a M3 E46 or M3 E92 which for example use throttle valves for each cylinder (among other techniques for high output motors). Furthermore strict exhaust regulations worsen these things.

@Dejan_: Even S55 has a noticable turbo lag and in addition even more "all or nothing" characteristics than N55 or B58

Last edited by mmmpassion; 11-30-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I only have a few hundred miles on mine but I haven't experienced any turbo lag in sports+ mode. I'm not an overly aggressive driver so I assumed I would spend most of my time in comfort mode but I can't stand the throttle response in comfort mode. The throttle response in sports+, which is great, should be the throttle response in all the driving modes. Use the the various driving modes to dick around with traction control, steering, suspension, etc but leave the throttle alone. I don't care what kind of mood I'm in if I punch the gas I want the damn thing to go. It feels so dead to me in comfort mode.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      11-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
ohnnyj
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm not the only one, and comfort mode being the main culprit. Will give sport+ a try.

After the 1200 mile service the response may have improved a bit or its all in my head.

Curious, does anyone switch driving modes while driving or usually set it once and forget it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #19
TBURKE555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

You also can drive in sport and adjust the setting to give the throtle response and leave the suspension in comfort
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #20
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Curious, does anyone switch driving modes while driving or usually set it once and forget it?
Nope, i press the button to start the car and immediately put it in Sport+

Only time i would ever switch modes is when i get on the highway and going to be cruising at the same speed for a while, i put it in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
@Dejan_: Even S55 has a noticable turbo lag and in addition even more "all or nothing" characteristics than N55 or B58
That actually surprised me when I test drove an M3. Noticeably more lag than the M2's N55. But damn that thing loved to rev; seemed to breathe much easier in general.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
That actually surprised me when I test drove an M3. Noticeably more lag than the M2's N55. But damn that thing loved to rev; seemed to breathe much easier in general.
There is now way the N55 has better response then the S55 its way more laggy then the s55.
The design of the s55 low inertia variable vane and those impellers never stop spinning. It's optimized by impulse charging and flow enhanced manifolds. This is all directly from BMW archives.

I've had 2 N55 cars for the last 5 years, I recently drove and M4 and the difference in response in favor of the s55 was night and day.

You sure you had that M3 in sport/sport+?