BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Gauge cluster lighting really dim?

11-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #45
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As to why some folks think this is acceptable is beyond me
Appreciate 1
Chuck W.356.00
      11-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #46
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Again, on an iPad, at arm's length, quick glance:

Cruise control set for 120, speed zero, RPM 700.

Sure it's not perfect, but in lighting like that, the gauges on my 328i and my B180 become sub-optimal so did the gauges on the RS3 I test drove. Expecting the dials to become back-lit in bright sunlight is unrealistic. Again, I'm not saying its perfect, or that this is acceptable all the time (because it clearly doesn't happen all the time) but if I was going to complain about safety, I'd start with side impact protection being so poor that BMW had to move the seats inboard and cant them outwards to gain extra room for deformation.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #47
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Again, on an iPad, at arm's length, quick glance:

Cruise control set for 120, speed zero, RPM 700.

Sure it's not perfect, but in lighting like that, the gauges on my 328i and my B180 become sub-optimal so did the gauges on the RS3 I test drove. Expecting the dials to become back-lit in bright sunlight is unrealistic. Again, I'm not saying its perfect, or that this is acceptable all the time (because it clearly doesn't happen all the time) but if I was going to complain about safety, I'd start with side impact protection being so poor that BMW had to move the seats inboard and cant them outwards to gain extra room for deformation.
Any sources for your crooked seats reasoning? I haven't found anything to the fact that it was for crash protection.

Also, this isn't in bright sunlight. In bright sunlight, you can see the gauges. This is overcast or driving through wooded areas in the shade. The contrast is bad. Period. You can try to justify it all you want, but at a quick split second glace at 50 MPH, by the time your brain registers what's actually going on with your speed, you've traveled 150 feet or more. If it takes longer than a glance to ascertain your speed, that's not good. In real life, it does take longer than a glace (phone cameras add light and make it look brighter than it actually is). Add more time if you're wearing sunglasses. We can all be armchair/keyboard warriors about this but until you experience it, it's a lot better in pics and a whole lot easier to see than it looks.
Appreciate 1
Chuck W.356.00
      11-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #48
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Any sources for your crooked seats reasoning? I haven't found anything to the fact that it was for crash protection.

Go to 10mins 51s
In BMW's defence, it's more to keep up with more demanding side impact safety requirements without having to reengineer a chassis that probably won't be in production for too much longer (otherwise they'd just have reengineered the chassis, duh.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #49
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
As to why some folks think this is acceptable is beyond me
That's weird my 17 is nowhere near that bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #50
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Mine is. In the right environment I cannot see the gauges at all. It happens a couple of time a week...
      11-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #51
Das Kommander
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MG 6MT M2

I'm in the camp that is hoping BMW can do something to improve this situation.

After a week of daily driving my 2017 M2 (in southern California sunshine), my only daily gripes are the dim instrument display and the iDrive intro/warning message. I'll plan to code out the warning message eventually. Wish I could do the same for the instrument panel situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #52
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
Mine is. In the right environment I cannot see the gauges at all. It happens a couple of time a week...
Same on my 17. They are all the same.
      11-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #53
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Same on my 17. They are all the same.
+1,no joke when you've got speed cameras and vans hidden everywhere over here.4 MPH over in a 30 and you're done...

The difference of guessing what speed you're travelling at and being able to read what speed....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #54
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
no joke when you've got speed cameras and vans hidden everywhere over here. 4 MPH over in a 30 and you're done...
The difference of guessing what speed you're travelling at and being able to read what speed....
Definitely.

That's why I plan to install the 'P3 gauge' later this week inside my M2. Problem solved: real speed properly visible as much as I like. Expensive work-around to remedy this BMW fail ? True, but I wanted to get this sorted out + OBC showing other data (preferably navigation with Speed Limit Info) than the small digital OBC speedometer.

BMW, get your act together. The poor readability of the M2 instrument panel in overcast lighting conditions is a damn nuisance and a shame for a premium car.

11-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #55
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Yes, it's a shame

What would be the official fix from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #56
Minchy
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Grey 6MT

I always drive with my lights on so this wouldnt be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #57
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minch View Post
I always drive with my lights on so this wouldnt be a problem.
This is still a problem. The car dims the gauge cluster regardless of the lights being on based on ambient light. You can have the lights on and the gauge cluster will have the lights off during the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #58
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
This is still a problem. The car dims the gauge cluster regardless of the lights being on based on ambient light. You can have the lights on and the gauge cluster will have the lights off during the day.
Well, that's not the case with my car. I turned the lights on and the dials on the instrument cluster lit up.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2016, 04:03 AM   #59
Phaeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
the pictures of this issue are alarming. I don't understand the thought process with a company that doesn't understand the basic requirements of being able to read the gauge(s) at all times. The font color for the fuel gauge is bright white, but the speedo / tach appear gray in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #60
bobsor
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
Well, that's not the case with my car. I turned the lights on and the dials on the instrument cluster lit up.
Interesting, perhaps it's because you're in Australia and the cars may be setup differently for that market. I can state with certainty after spending way too much time both by myself and with a BMW Genius, that there is no light switch position what will illuminate the instrument and panel lights except in the evening/night.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #61
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
the pictures of this issue are alarming. I don't understand the thought process with a company that doesn't understand the basic requirements of being able to read the gauge(s) at all times. The font color for the fuel gauge is bright white, but the speedo / tach appear gray in comparison.
Very few lighting conditions that make it look THAT bad in real life. I've only noticed it maybe once. It's very readable 90% of the time to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #62
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I was noticing today that it is pretty dim. Sunglasses make it worse. It hasn't been a huge problem but definitely an oversight by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #63
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2019 X2 M35i) (2022 Z4 M40)

Garage List
There is only one place that the cluster looks proper, and that's in the documentation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      11-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #64
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
I've only noticed it maybe once. It's very readable 90% of the time to me.
+1

Not a big deal to me and I mostly look at the digital MPH reading anyways
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #65
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
+1

Not a big deal to me and I mostly look at the digital MPH reading anyways
I also use the digital speed display. Wish BMW made it larger. Personally I can't wait for these analog gauges to be a thing of the past. A analog speedometer is pretty much useless and totally imprecise, the tach is the only display that benefits from that layout. I like what Ferrari, McLaren and Audi are doing.
Appreciate 1
atxsk8r1568.50
      11-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #66
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun View Post
There is only one place that the cluster looks proper, and that's in the documentation.
Yup. Gimme that instrument cluster featuring more contrast of the analog dials + 8.5K rpm (instead of the 7.5K rpm that made it to M2 production).

And for the digital part of the instrument cluster: BMW, please note that there is *definitely* a good and proper reason why the competition permanently shows a digital speedometer in big digits in its high performance cars. Don't bury the digital speedometer with small digits in a scroll-through OBC (reducing the use of other OBC info that we prefer) - maybe keep that layout for the 'regular' 2er. Evidently, high performance cars are a 'liability' to exceed speed limits in a few moments by just a strong push on the throttle + observing speed limits in everyday life is important if you want to stay out of trouble. So, yeah, a properly readable speedometer *is* important in a high performance car that's supposed to be used outside the race-track too.