United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
Hey I'm innocent! If everyone has tint, are you going to pull over the woman you think is driving her boyfriends car? (I usually roll down my windows enough so they can see into the car in the hopes of not getting pulled over). #paranoidlife
      11-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #24
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Hate it but look at it from cops' safety point of view...times have changed.
Not sure about NY laws but in jersey you only need front driver/passenger not tinted, so 2 Windows can cheaply be redone.
Good luck guys !!
It wish car glass comes wiht smart glass or tint which can electronically change from transparent to opaque, in cars we will need non opaque. It will be an awesome product
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #25
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Oh they will for sure. When they passed ours here, they nailed nearly 300 cars province wide on the first day hahaha
so if I drive my ontario plated car which is tinted legally here in Ontario....and drive back to nova Scotia to visit my parents I'd be pulled over and fined going through NB?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #26
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
so if I drive my ontario plated car which is tinted legally here in Ontario....and drive back to nova Scotia to visit my parents I'd be pulled over and fined going through NB?
It's not just NB, all of the Maritime provinces have the same rules. And yes, they can pull you over for the dark tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #27
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Hate it but look at it from cops' safety point of view...times have changed.
Not sure about NY laws but in jersey you only need front driver/passenger not tinted, so 2 Windows can cheaply be redone.
Good luck guys !!
It wish car glass comes wiht smart glass or tint which can electronically change from transparent to opaque, in cars we will need non opaque. It will be an awesome product
we have that technology now. Using nano tech and sending a small charge through these microscopic molecules ...In its infancy. But within 5-10 years we may see that or at least the potential to get it custom fashioned for car windows.

Nothig to worry about. I had my inspectors license in NYS for years, even back when we ran cars on a dyno and sniffed the exhaust (with a DOT Camera direct feed to DOT) We still passed cars...Worst case u may have to pay more than the standard 50 bucks
      11-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #28
firestarter2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
we have that technology now. Using nano tech and sending a small charge through these microscopic molecules ...In its infancy. But within 5-10 years we may see that or at least the potential to get it custom fashioned for car windows.

Nothig to worry about. I had my inspectors license in NYS for years, even back when we ran cars on a dyno and sniffed the exhaust (with a DOT Camera direct feed to DOT) We still passed cars...Worst case u may have to pay more than the standard 50 bucks
Its a new world my friend it is very hard to get shops to pass cars now they (NYS) cracked down hard. I dont know how strict they will be on tint. But how much is it to get 2 windows retinted once a year? The tint places will have to do something or they will go out of business.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #29
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter2 View Post
Its a new world my friend it is very hard to get shops to pass cars now they (NYS) cracked down hard. I dont know how strict they will be on tint. But how much is it to get 2 windows retinted once a year? The tint places will have to do something or they will go out of business.
NYS and the DOT have always (since I started as an auto tech professionally at 16years old), been making it harder and cracking down on inspections. I was licensed when they forced every shop to buy a $100k dynomometer, and right afterward, cameras installed aimed directly at the dyno with a constant feed to the state DOT. Also had to pug into OBDII cars diagnostic ports and even obd 1 which required dozens of adapters... the dyno test lasted more than 5 minutes and going outside the lines just a few times and u had to start all over....

The penalty for being caught passing a car illegally was outlandish. Shops inspection license was taken for a certain time frame i I think like 5 years or something, any licensed tech involved instantly disbarred and a tremendous monetary fine.

Then just a few years later, they ceased the need for the dyno which financially killed many shops. If i remember correctly the shops had to buy or finance these things, they were not provided by the dot...

Of course I dont think Ive ever owned a car with a catalytic converter lol, for 17 years now LOL...Prrtty horrible considering I do value conservation of the enviornemnt and do believe than humans are accelerating the Earths natural warming phase faster than if we didnt have any carbon emissions although I believe cars are a tiny part of that problem...1 factory could produce the same carbon emissions in one day as 200 cars would produce in a year...And if we cracked totally down, wed spawn new industries and technological innovations that would help the economy but Chinas growth in using, consuming, refining, storing and exploring for petroleum based fuels would make up for our lack of them in less than 5 years according to the predictions Ive seen...Anyway, im getting way off topic...

Bottom line is while the limitations have gotten much worse since I was in that business, theres always a way around it...and the shops dont mind because either it gives them business in needed repairs or for example one shop I worked charged $100 if u failed n needed the sticker.

My guess is they will force the shops to use the same type of machine police use but wired directly to the inspection machine and monitored by camera...

Coicidentally we used to put boxes down that happened to cover the camera while parking another car next to the one on the dyno, had a dummy exhaust probe that made it look like it was in the right car and then a second driver would stare at the tachometer on the car being dynod and keep RPMs as close as possible since car was simultaneously plugged in and connected via internet to the state...

I can think of two ways around testing tint on camera just off the top of my head. And I suspect there will be an exception at least for the first year or two for cars that came from factory with it, and maybe even cars that can prove they got tint before the requirement took effect...

Im not worried personally and I suspect everyone here knows SOMEONE at a shop that would be a rubber stamp.
      11-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #30
firestarter2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
NYS and the DOT have always (since I started as an auto tech professionally at 16years old), been making it harder and cracking down on inspections. I was licensed when they forced every shop to buy a $100k dynomometer, and right afterward, cameras installed aimed directly at the dyno with a constant feed to the state DOT. Also had to pug into OBDII cars diagnostic ports and even obd 1 which required dozens of adapters... the dyno test lasted more than 5 minutes and going outside the lines just a few times and u had to start all over....

The penalty for being caught passing a car illegally was outlandish. Shops inspection license was taken for a certain time frame i I think like 5 years or something, any licensed tech involved instantly disbarred and a tremendous monetary fine.

Then just a few years later, they ceased the need for the dyno which financially killed many shops. If i remember correctly the shops had to buy or finance these things, they were not provided by the dot...

Of course I dont think Ive ever owned a car with a catalytic converter lol, for 17 years now LOL...Prrtty horrible considering I do value conservation of the enviornemnt and do believe than humans are accelerating the Earths natural warming phase faster than if we didnt have any carbon emissions although I believe cars are a tiny part of that problem...1 factory could produce the same carbon emissions in one day as 200 cars would produce in a year...And if we cracked totally down, wed spawn new industries and technological innovations that would help the economy but Chinas growth in using, consuming, refining, storing and exploring for petroleum based fuels would make up for our lack of them in less than 5 years according to the predictions Ive seen...Anyway, im getting way off topic...

Bottom line is while the limitations have gotten much worse since I was in that business, theres always a way around it...and the shops dont mind because either it gives them business in needed repairs or for example one shop I worked charged $100 if u failed n needed the sticker.

My guess is they will force the shops to use the same type of machine police use but wired directly to the inspection machine and monitored by camera...

Coicidentally we used to put boxes down that happened to cover the camera while parking another car next to the one on the dyno, had a dummy exhaust probe that made it look like it was in the right car and then a second driver would stare at the tachometer on the car being dynod and keep RPMs as close as possible since car was simultaneously plugged in and connected via internet to the state...

I can think of two ways around testing tint on camera just off the top of my head. And I suspect there will be an exception at least for the first year or two for cars that came from factory with it, and maybe even cars that can prove they got tint before the requirement took effect...

Im not worried personally and I suspect everyone here knows SOMEONE at a shop that would be a rubber stamp.
Yeah my turbo(OBD II) car has NEVER been into a inspection shop but it always had a a sticker. I dont know anyone anymore who will do a sticker and my car friend connections all dried up. So i dont think its as easy as you think anymore. I havent repaired my spun bearing because I dont think ill ever get it inspected.

I can think of lots of ways to beat the tint thing im just wondering if the shops will do it.

I hope you are right on the tint
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #31
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You ever been pulled for the front plate? Considering going front plate-less on my next car.
Can't speak of NYC area cops given my experience in Rochester NY, but I've been driving most of my cars since ~1993 without a front plate. No tickets so far, but was pulled over once about 20 years ago for a verbal warning.
Appreciate 0