BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Worst spots of rock chips or road debris so far

11-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Dmarcen
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

Worst spots of rock chips or road debris so far

Hi guys,
This thread is similar to a below thread in regards to xpel clear bra coverage. But wanted to get the attention of others for feedback.

For those of you with significant mileage where are you seeing the most road debris damage? Being a newer model car my installer hasn't seen a lot of cars with significant miles on them to suggest additional coverage areas besides bumper fenders mirrors and hood. I'm a litt concerned about rocker panels and rear fenders with those wide hips.

Any feedback on how all the areas are looking this far from those lucky enough to have driven for a while?

Thanks for feedback!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

4000 miles here, most of my rock chips are on the bottom part of the front bumper below the fangs but are super small chips, nothing serious. Have one below the left headlight and one on the roof.

I removed the stock film on the rear fenders (hated how it looked and the edge is a dirt collector) and so far only one small chip in that area.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Had ppf installed originally on just the front bumper. Went back and also had some installed on the rear bumper behind the back wheels as noticed that was starting to get chipped up pretty bad.

Would probably advise to get the stock film on the rear arches removed and a bigger piece applied there. I have noticed a few chips around that area where it has missed the ppf.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
4000 miles here, most of my rock chips are on the bottom part of the front bumper below the fangs but are super small chips, nothing serious. Have one below the left headlight and one on the roof.

I removed the stock film on the rear fenders (hated how it looked and the edge is a dirt collector) and so far only one small chip in that area.
Same here, I even got a pretty nasty looking one right before I put the PPF on, the installer repaired it though. If you worry about paint chips on central tx roads you're gonna have a bad time.
Appreciate 1
mokrunka140.00
      12-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopslide View Post
If you worry about paint chips on central tx roads you're gonna have a bad time.
Yes indeed, especially if you drive on 35 with all those 18 wheelers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

When I went to 2 day M school I looked closely at all of the M2's, most had around 5,000 miles or less and were used by the press prior to coming to school. The front of course is exposed so the school has the front done in Xpel and they have the entire hood done also. The rear haunches where the factory has put clear bra on are the most vulnerable areas, the factory has not covered enough area so I had my Xpel guy remove their stuff and put a much larger piece on which has worked very well (3200 miles in the desert). I had the front bumper, fenders, headlights and backs of mirrors done in addition to the larger protection not the haunches, I have noticed that the lower rocker below the door towards the rear where the haunches are is taking some hits from rocks on the road so if you want to go all out that is the only other area I think needs to be protected. I may go back and have mine done in fact.
Appreciate 0