12-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
dmsm2tw
Mrookie
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

OEM F87 M2 Brake Specification

Hello Guys,

I'm considering upgrading my front and rear brakes. My F87 M2 is daily driven and tracked on the weekend. After several BWM M driving school sessions, I'm more confident in applying the brakes on the track and found that my stock blue 4 pistons front and 2 pistons rear brakes might not be sufficient enough for my current driving style. I've already upgraded to Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ferodo 330 degrees brake fluid, and even an air induction setup, but it is still not enough.

Now, I would like to learn as much as I can about the stock blue brake calibers and discs so I can compare them to the aftermarket options I can maximize my gain while finding the right combination for me.

Information that I'm looking for includes piston size, area, weight, radial mounting, disc setup...etc.

I was recommended AP Racing CP9665 6 piston for the front and CP9446 for the rear, but these seem to be more for racing?

What would you guys recommend with I drive 80% daily and 20% track?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Have you read this thread? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637140
      12-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #3
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Please elaborate on why you feel like it’s time to upgrade?
Brake fade?
Inconsistent pedal feel?

What pads are you running currently?

Have you completely discolored your front calipers from the royal blue to completely black, are they blue/green, or do they still look like the rears?

The stock blues with proper pads/fluid are quite capable and should be able to take you pretty far before reaching for APs. In the event you really have completely blackened the fronts and need something better APs from Essex Racing seem to be the move. Do some google research, the forum threads are out there covering F8X braking in detail.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      12-28-2022, 01:17 AM   #4
dmsm2tw
Mrookie
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Please elaborate on why you feel like it’s time to upgrade?
Brake fade?
Inconsistent pedal feel?

What pads are you running currently?

Have you completely discolored your front calipers from the royal blue to completely black, are they blue/green, or do they still look like the rears?

The stock blues with proper pads/fluid are quite capable and should be able to take you pretty far before reaching for APs. In the event you really have completely blackened the fronts and need something better APs from Essex Racing seem to be the move. Do some google research, the forum threads are out there covering F8X braking in detail.
I'm finally confident enough to be more aggressive on the brakes before entering a corner and therefore causing my brake fluids to boil up to the point of fading. I'm already using Ferodo racing fluids that sustain 330 degrees of temperature, so I'm debating whether it is because the OEM brake caliper is simply not sufficient enough for my driving style anymore. Or perhaps I simply need to change my brake oil? (after 2 track days).

I'm currenlty running Pagid RSL1 pads with stock drilled M caliper.

NO, I have not discolored my front caliper to any other color, it is still blue.

Yes, I do agree with you, the stock blue calipers seem very capable and holding up pretty well in terms of stopping power. I'm just puzzled why the brake fluid faded so quickly so I thought it could be that I'm simply driving harder and a better brake setup could help.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Generally speaking if you haven’t cooked your fronts beyond deep green to nearly black, you don’t need new hardware. I get no fade with PFC08 and Castrol SRF. SRF wet boiling point is significantly higher than most competitors which is more applicable than most people realize.

My recommendation is to flush with new fluid like SRF or Endless and try different pads and see if the fading you’re describing persists.

My understanding is you’re likely NOT boiling fluid if your brakes aren’t discoloring and getting a mushy pedal. It’s likely elsewhere in the system. It may just be you’re finally getting good heat into the Pagid’s and you’re feeling them behave different at higher temps?

Pro hotshoe lapped my car and loved it. I’d try some other things before diving into a $5000+ brake system overhaul.

Last edited by ///393; 12-28-2022 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8717.00
dtmurf481.50