BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 with sunroof pics please.

07-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #23
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Mine was only an $1,800 option on the Pure
According to the optional equipment price list it's $1818 excl GST & LCT, $2600 inclusive.
Maybe you got a better deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

I had the sunroof option on my M135i. While it let lots of lovely noise in around town, when you drove above 50mph the wind noise was far to intrusive...and it had to be shut, which defeated the point for me.

So didn't order it on my M2....
      07-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybostonjack View Post
I prefer no moonroof but does anyone know the decision not to offer it in the U.S.?
Another poster who called BMW North America about it said they told him it was because it's a purist car. It's kind of stupid IMO since they offer it everywhere else. I'd understand more if BMW themselves didn't offer it at all. Some people prefer it and some don't. Unfortunately, for those of us who prefer a sunroof; the people making the decisions at BMW NA seem to be the latter.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

BMW sells cars all over the world and studies closely the buying habits of their customers and determines the strategy based on that. For example they offer manual transmissions entirely based on the fact that U.S. customers like them and see them as an indication of what is and is not a legit drivers car. This is from what I have read in statements from BMW executives, if manual sales drop in the U.S. then they won't sell manuals the M5 cancelling a manual transmission is a great example of this. My guess is they looked at the take rate of sunroofs in M3/4's in the U.S. which I don't see very often and made a decision to not offer it in this market for the M2. I am not saying that was the right decision but I am 100% sure that they analyzed this quite a bit. We see the same "drivers car" philosophy in the small number of color and other options they are offering on the car. Of course you would think that they would offer the car without power seats and Nav on a pure drivers car but again most would opt to take those options and they needed to hit a sweet spot on pricing. Personally there are several things I wish it had or didn't have but on the whole I think it represents an excellent value and by all appearances it is an excellent car. I will learn first hand the end of October or the first of November.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #27
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
My guess is they looked at the take rate of sunroofs in M3/4's in the U.S. which I don't see very often and made a decision to not offer it in this market for the M2.
Reason why it's so low on the M3/M4 is because the car comes with a CF roof standard. You would be crazy to pass up on a CF roof and get a sunroof instead. If the M2 came with a CF roof, you would probably see a 1% take rate on getting a sunroof
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #28
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

I wish the sunroof were available for USDM
      07-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #29
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Reason why it's so low on the M3/M4 is because the car comes with a CF roof standard. You would be crazy to pass up on a CF roof and get a sunroof instead. If the M2 came with a CF roof, you would probably see a 1% take rate on getting a sunroof
This is were I don't agree, and would be one of the crazy ones, as you say. I had an Evo X and would see guys on the forums putting on CF trunks and hoods. I always thought it looked terrible, but never said anything. I don't even like the way it looks on the M4. To each his/her own, it's just not my thing.

Having said that, if all M cars came with a CF roof, it wouldn't stop me from buying one.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #30
srironman911
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW M2

waiting till M Performance parts mostly installed nest week to pick it up...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #31
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
This is were I don't agree, and would be one of the crazy ones, as you say. I had an Evo X and would see guys on the forums putting on CF trunks and hoods. I always thought it looked terrible, but never said anything. I don't even like the way it looks on the M4. To each his/her own, it's just not my thing.

Having said that, if all M cars came with a CF roof, it wouldn't stop me from buying one.
The sunroof is a deal breaker to me. I enjoy having the extra light when I drive the car. The unpainted CF-roof on M3/M4 is just a "show off", and it's ugly imho. BMW painted the CF-trunk lid why couldn't they paint the CF-roof
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #32
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermav View Post
BMW painted the CF-trunk lid why couldn't they paint the CF-roof
Because BMW thinks you have bad taste and specifically wants to piss you off.

Or, because a lot of other people like it. It's not my favorite design feature, either, but it's a signature look. Why doesn't Audi paint the aluminum mirrors on their RS cars? Same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #33
M2fan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

No sunroof is a deal-beaker for me too. Can a US resident buy a Canada car from, say, a Vancouver dealership and drive it back to the USA home?
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #34
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Is it just the US that doesn't offer it?
Appreciate 1