BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will M2 be available into the summer of 2017?

07-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Will M2 be available into the summer of 2017?

My master plan is to do another Euro Delivery in 2017 when 1M is paid for. I called dealership today to ask about lead time and sale person told me they likely will be gone by then. Any truth in this? I felt pretty sure we'd see them available for several years?

Master plan= at off 1M, get M2. Turn in leased M235, get M3.
      07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
My master plan is to do another Euro Delivery in 2017 when 1M is paid for. I called dealership today to ask about lead time and sale person told me they likely will be gone by then. Any truth in this? I felt pretty sure we'd see them available for several years?

Master plan= at off 1M, get M2. Turn in leased M235, get M3.
I don't think he meant gone as is not produced.

He meant gone as in sold-out. Canada is selling into late-summer/Fall 2017, UK into 2018, USA depends on dealership, but probably close to Summer 2017. So not unrealistic to tell you that, if you wait, Summer 2017 cars will be gone soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #3
Shockwave93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 M2 6MT, '05 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

He meant gone as in sold-out. Canada is selling into late-summer/Fall 2017, UK into 2018, USA depends on dealership, but probably close to Summer 2017. So not unrealistic to tell you that, if you wait, Summer 2017 cars will be gone soon.
To add to this, I recommend finding a dealer now and putting down a deposit. Usually, it looks like you can get away with a $1000 refundable deposit at most dealers (at least in the US) that only becomes non-refundable after you have an allocation and sign some papers.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 01:18 AM   #4
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I am fairly certain it will be produced at this time next year as a 2018 model.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

To add to this, I recommend finding a dealer now and putting down a deposit. Usually, it looks like you can get away with a $1000 refundable deposit at most dealers (at least in the US) that only becomes non-refundable after you have an allocation and sign some papers.
This
      07-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I believe BMW are projecting the M2 to be produced until 2020. The dealer may be speaking to the difficulty in getting an allocation but if you are going to do Euro I wouldn't limit myself to just them. You'll need to get a spot now for a car next summer. The allocations are trickling in, most dealers have at least 15-20 on their waiting lists and are getting 1 car a month on average, some less.

Update: Just checked and BMW has stated they will build the M2 thru the 2020 model year.

Last edited by pruettfan; 07-24-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

So I did finally put my name down on my local dealer's list for a June 2017 allocation.
I figured that putting my name down now would ensure I have an allocation by then.

My dealer was not so worried and even thought it was too soon. His reasoning is that he think BMW will ramp up production significantly soon to fulfill all the demand out there, and also according to his experience, the 20-25 people on his list ahead of me will wound up only being 10 or so actual sales. People have their names on multiple dealers lists and some drop off and end up buying something else.

This is from a sales manager at a pretty big dealership here in SD, so I think he knows what he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
So I did finally put my name down on my local dealer's list for a June 2017 allocation.
I figured that putting my name down now would ensure I have an allocation by then.

My dealer was not so worried and even thought it was too soon. His reasoning is that he think BMW will ramp up production significantly soon to fulfill all the demand out there, and also according to his experience, the 20-25 people on his list ahead of me will wound up only being 10 or so actual sales. People have their names on multiple dealers lists and some drop off and end up buying something else.

This is from a sales manager at a pretty big dealership here in SD, so I think he knows what he's talking about.
I'd put your name on 2 or 3 dealerships if you want something for sure. Anything a dealer tells you I would take with a grain of salt since its all speculation. They'll usually tell you what you want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos

The whole ramp-up thing is BS. Everyone was saying that "oh come July BMW will crank out more cars, ramp production, etc." and yet here we are and they continued at the same pace of 3 to 5 cars produced per day.

I know for Canada, and in particular my dealership, they have been informed not to expect production to ramp up and that their calendar 2017 allocations will match the number of calendar 2016 ones (in this case 3 for the calendar year).

BMW has no plans to ramp up production, especially with it lasting until 2020 or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
epinfren
Rep
Drives: 10AE Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I am fairly certain it will be produced at this time next year as a 2018 model.
No doubt about it. Stop stressing. This is not going to be a limited production car and you do NOT need to rush and get a deposit down some place to reserve one. Relax.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #11
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinfren View Post
No doubt about it. Stop stressing. This is not going to be a limited production car and you do NOT need to rush and get a deposit down some place to reserve one. Relax.
I am not worried, but I do have a leased M235 that will end in June 2017, so come that time, I will need to get into something else. I would very much like to step up to an M2 at that time, but if I can't I will probably go back to a Golf GTI for a couple of years and save my money.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:

Quote:
I am not worried, but I do have a leased M235 that will end in June 2017, so come that time, I will need to get into something else. I would very much like to step up to an M2 at that time, but if I can't I will probably go back to a Golf GTI for a couple of years and save my money.
Ramos, Get your name on at least 2 more lists and I think you'll be fine. Got mine on 3, and on one list I went from 16 to 10 in a span of two weeks. At another dealer I'm now in their top 5. And the closest dealer to me, I probably won't see one till 2018. So it's best to hedge your bet at a couple of dealer's, not just the most convenient.

A lot of people are on multiple lists, so as more M2's get delivered, you'll most likely move up quicker than you expect.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:20 AM   #13
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe
Quote:

Quote:
Ramos, Get your name on at least 2 more lists and I think you'll be fine. Got mine on 3, and on one list I went from 16 to 10 in a span of two weeks. At another dealer I'm now in their top 5. And the closest dealer to me, I probably won't see one till 2018. So it's best to hedge your bet at a couple of dealer's, not just the most convenient.

A lot of people are on multiple lists, so as more M2's get delivered, you'll most likely move up quicker than you expect.
Will do, and that is the point the sales manager was making is that out of 25 people on his lust, he only expects 10 to take delivery. The rest will either have an allocation elsewhere sooner or just give up.
Appreciate 0