BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New to BMW - "Rev-Matching" Question

12-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
My LBB M2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

New to BMW - "Rev-Matching" Question

Hi All:

I will pick up my first BMW - LLB M2 (with manual transmission) next month. I have seen some threads/posts mentioning "Rev-Matching".

Could someone explain this technology and I also would be interested in opinions of how people feel about "Rev-Matching".

Thanks
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      12-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by My LBB M2 View Post
Hi All:

I will pick up my first BMW - LLB M2 (with manual transmission) next month. I have seen some threads/posts mentioning "Rev-Matching".

Could someone explain this technology and I also would be interested in opinions of how people feel about "Rev-Matching".

Thanks
Rev matching is when you blip the throttle to match the RPMs of the road/engine speed during a downshift, for a smooth downshift. Example: shifting from 3rd to 2nd, clutch in > shift to 2nd > blip the throttle > release clutch.

In the M2 it unfortunately does this automatically

So you don't have to blip the throttle on a downshift, it'll do it every time automatically with perfect precision.

Only way to disable it is to completely turn off the nannies (hold the DSC button for like 10 seconds) and put it in Sport+ mode.

However, you can code this "rev-match" feature out. So it will NOT automatically blip the throttle in ALL modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) while retaining all nannies (safety features like traction/stability control).

I have it coded out, and I love the car MUCH more haha, it's just more fun. You can code it out easily with the Bimmercode app!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
I actually like it. It simulates perfect heel/toe downshifting which I wouldn't be able to perform 5 out of 10 times without practice. Sure, it's cheating but, it makes spirited driving more enjoyable because I'm able to focus on the other aspects of what makes a good driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

I coded it out. One of the best things you can do with Bimmercode. The main reason is that I can't do engine braking. I do that a lot when I really need to stop the car by using brake and engine braking. I saw many posts about auto rev matching but no one complaining about not able to do engine braking. Maybe, I'm the only one doing it? lol
Appreciate 2
NO_USER_537.50
      12-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
I coded it out. One of the best things you can do with Bimmercode. The main reason is that I can't do engine braking. I do that a lot when I really need to stop the car by using brake and engine braking. I saw many posts about auto rev matching but no one complaining about not able to do engine braking. Maybe, I'm the only one doing it? lol
You can still do engine braking when you downshift, the car will slow down, unless you have a different definition of engine braking? Are you slowing the car down during the release of the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
You can still do engine braking when you downshift, the car will slow down, unless you have a different definition of engine braking? Are you slowing the car down during the release of the clutch?
Whenever the gear goes to N, it will blip the throttle to match the RPMs. How do you even do the engine braking? I think my definition of engine braking is not correct haha. downshifting to slow down?

Also, it will blip the throttle when I put it in Neutral at the traffic light. It kinda annoying doing that when I don't need it.

Last edited by XProject; 12-15-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Whenever the gear goes to N, it will blip the throttle to match the RPMs. How do you even do the engine braking? I think my definition of engine braking is not correct haha. downshifting to slow down?
It actually doesn’t blip when going into neutral, sometimes it does a mini blip because it thinks it’s going into a lower gear because the shifter may have went just a hair past neutral haha. I know what you’re talking about when it does that. Another reason to code it out lol.

Yeah what do you mean by engine braking?

You know when you downshift, the RPMs go up, and if you aren’t on the throttle or brakes the car slows down without an external force such as brakes. For example, if you’re cruising at 30 mph, if you’re at 5000 RPM your car will slow down much quicker than if you were at 2000 RPM at 30 mph. I think it has to do with a vacuum created as the throttle closes.

Although, I believe engine braking is not good to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Yeah what do you mean by engine braking?

You know when you downshift, the RPMs go up, and if you aren’t on the throttle or brakes the car slows down without an external force such as brakes. For example, if you’re cruising at 30 mph, if you’re at 5000 RPM your car will slow down much quicker than if you were at 2000 RPM at 30 mph. I think it has to do with a vacuum created as the throttle closes.

Although, I believe engine braking is not good to do.
Yes, that's what I mean by engine braking. I do that sometime while I'm also braking with my right foot. I don't like relying on brake only when I have to do emergency braking. Am I the only one doing it? haha
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I like this when my wife’s in the car. So it feels like I’m driving an automatic....i prefer it to be off when I’m driving by myself. I enjoy engine breaking in some scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean by engine braking. I do that sometime while I'm also braking with my right foot. I don't like relying on brake only when I have to do emergency braking. Am I the only one doing it? haha
No, I do it all the time mainly going into second/third on a turn. Also good in winter down a hill.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I don't think rev-match has anything to do with engine braking. Whether you blip the throttle yourself or let the computer do it, as long as you put it back in gear you'll feel the effects of engine braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #12
Happy77
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

Quote:
Can you tell me in detail what kind of code did you do? I use bimmercode and want to turn off rev matching definitively. I hate it...
Please help me!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #13
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Absolutely nothing wrong with engine braking some street signs do say to so!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy77 View Post
Can you tell me in detail what kind of code did you do? I use bimmercode and want to turn off rev matching definitively. I hate it...
Please help me!
The bimmercode way it's really a hack with downsides. The right way to do it is to get custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:22 AM   #15
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy77 View Post
Please help me!
If you do have DME tuning plan, go straight to Bootmod3 then. It allows you to turn on/off rev matching in Comfort, Sport and Sport+ individually.
Appreciate 0